How do you beat a Daemon Prince? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

@Ravner298 Actually it was a mix of bad luck rolling bunch of 1s and playing a single rule wrong (the relic which makes terrain dangerous). So this is how it happened. I DW Assault with Belial and 9knights+ Knight master, I rolled 3 ones so 3 knights died. Do my shoting with Belial, then charge and get into combat,he saved all HoW hits that landed. He rolled for his demonic weapon and got +6 extra attacks (my Knight Master denied the challange) so total of 12 and wiped 4 knights with 1 wound on Belial. I pop my smite mode and hit him causing 2 wounds. So 7 knights died, next on his turn he deep striked his Terminators and together with the Prince wiped the rest of my knights and Belial

Side note though Belila is imho best melee hq for DA. Once I manage to wipe out 2 squads of cultists, 3 Obliterators, 5 terminators, 1 Hellbrute with just Belial and 5 Knights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 10:47 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Hmmm I think you may want to look more closely at rules like shooting into combat, charging after deep striking, ending combat and not being able to charge with a consolidation, and the flying monsterous creature rules.

You may find you've been playing not as intended, to your disadvantage.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 11:36 AM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

You can't assault after deep striking. HoW are auto hits, I believe. And you should almost always accept the challenge on your knight master. It will mitigate his charge bonus (and in this circumstance his 6 bonus attacks) buying time for a more favorable round. Losing 3 knights to a dangerous terrain is painful. If you were in terrain after the drop (which you took dangerous terrain tests so you should of been) the prince assaulting you would be going last at i1, because he has no assault grenades. Baiting him into terrain is a sure fire way to kill him before he attacks.

Beyond that, he's only t5. If there's one thing dark angels do well, it's the ability to put down a withering amount of bolter fire.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-13, 02:05 PM

Duskan's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you did 2 wounds to him in smite mode...how is he alive? str 10 vs toughness 5?

i run a nurgle daemon prince with my daemons army with a balesword and another defencive reward. I fully expect him to be grounded and taken out turn 1 or 2, as if he isnt he will rape you entire army as he jumps from combat to combat (record being 2 hammer heads and three riptides in 3 turns!)

Just ground him and shoot everything at him. DPs are one of the weaker FMC around. and since he is CSm you should be hitting him with ease. Try black knights for the plasma talons and then str 5 rending in cc if ur knights (for some reason) arent enough.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

W/D/L (5th)
Csm 38/5/10
Daemons 68/0/0

W/D/L (6th)
Csm 32/4/12
Daemons 85/0/0

Throne of Skulls best Daemon Player 3 times now!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-13, 11:15 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

I've used daemon princes a bit. Usually I'll manage to assault/wipe a squad, then get put down by a lascannon the next turn. Have been grounded a few times by small arms fire, that sucked. Leaves him open to a charge or gunfire.

Have only faced a prince once. He landed to assault a predator, then got rapid fired by plasma and bolters to death in very short order.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-13, 11:30 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

The fragility of Daemon Princes is their achilles heel. Any S10 can double tap them out (unless they pay an obscene amount of points for a coin flip at getting the Biomancy Iron Arm power), and really, how hard is it to inflict 4 wounds to power-armored T5?

Ground them (preferably with AA weapons so you have a good chance to hit, then scraps like rhino storm bolters if need be, then by any units you've cast Prescience on or that have twin-linked weapons) by whatever means necessary, and then dakka or Vindi pie-plate them to death. Maybe yeah, they'll kill an enemy unit. If that's the sacrifice you need to make to kill their unit, so be it.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode