Removal of Enemy Gun Emplacements Turn 1 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-13, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Partybear's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Removal of Enemy Gun Emplacements Turn 1

When using my new Crimson Hunter I find it tough to deal with those gun emplacements, In previous games I had to jink when I entered from reserves to survive and found that it made the CH nearly useless.
Now tactics i have tried is use the Autarch to delay arrival, which is good and helps give me time to remove the gun but..........
Lets be realistic I want that enemy gun dead turn 1 as I want maximum effect from my expensive plane!
Any cool ideas to share?

Play the Game Fool!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-13, 02:20 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Well, I haven't yet had the pleasure of playing the new eldar, but this article may help a bit or at least provide some entertainment:

http://someeldarguy.hubpages.com/hub...-Eldar-Tactica

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-13, 03:03 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Dark Reapers could do the trick. It would mean they wouldn't be slaughtering some other unit, but that's the opportunity cost for saving your Crimson Hunter.

Alternatively, if you play with the normal rulebook way of setting up terrain, your opponent should deploy their ADL before terrain is deployed, so even though I hate it, it's a perfectly valid tactic to stick a massive sight-blocking ruin right in front of his quad gun or Icarus lascannon.

If it's only a unit like Guard or cultists on the gun emplacement, you can try to force an LD check for such units to get them on the run, forcing the enemy to divert a more valuable unit if they even have one to spare.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-13, 10:56 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Dark Reapers could do the trick. It would mean they wouldn't be slaughtering some other unit, but that's the opportunity cost for saving your Crimson Hunter.

Alternatively, if you play with the normal rulebook way of setting up terrain, your opponent should deploy their ADL before terrain is deployed, so even though I hate it, it's a perfectly valid tactic to stick a massive sight-blocking ruin right in front of his quad gun or Icarus lascannon.

If it's only a unit like Guard or cultists on the gun emplacement, you can try to force an LD check for such units to get them on the run, forcing the enemy to divert a more valuable unit if they even have one to spare.
I don't know anyone that sets up terrain using that system. Everyone opts for the "narrative terrain" option of setting up terrain. It is faster and fairer.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 04:26 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

There's a handful of ways that will work, though most are semi-unreliable.

We're looking at T7, W2, with a 3+ save. Wanting a 1st turn kill means you'll need a gun with at least 24" range on it, and more likely 36" or better - the enemy general will rarely obligingly put the thing as far forward as he can.

Mossy Toes' Dark Reaper suggestion is an option, but S5 means you're only wounding on a 6... with BS4, that means you'll on average need to throw out 2 * 6(to wound) * 1.5(to hit) = 18 shots at it. Two shots per Reaper, so a squad of 9 Reapers and you still need to roll at least average. It gets a bit better when you've got an Exarch in there, but that's a lot of points in Dark Reapers shooting at a dinky 50-point gun emplacement. Obviously, we need a bigger gun.

Brightlances can do the trick, wounding on 3+. Which still on average requires (assuming BS4) 4.5 shots, which isn't going to be a cheap proposal either. Sadly, that goes for just about ALL the bigger guns. It takes a good 7 Scatter Lasers (27 shots) on average, which is even worse.

Try and ignore the Toughness then? Rangers might get us somewhere. 2 * 1.5 (BS) * 2 (Sniper) * 3 (Armour Save) = 18 shots. Near two full squads, but that's 'only' a bit over 200 points, which might actually be the cheapest way to kill the emplacement on turn 1... if you manage average rolls.

In short, shooting at the gun? Not the best idea. Focusing down the unit that's holding it is likely easier, but won't actually solve the problem as another unit can take it during his turn and your expensive plane will come in before you can fix THAT unit.

It's almost as if GW MEANT for that Gun emplacement to still be there. And they most likely did. Realistically, that gun is often the only thing the enemy has standing between semi-safety and your Crimson Hunter having free rein to kill things.

However, one thing to take note of: A single quad-gun can be overwhelmed with ease by simply throwing another Flyer into the mix. One of two will still have to jink... but not the other

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-13, 11:08 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
There's a handful of ways that will work, though most are semi-unreliable.

We're looking at T7, W2, with a 3+ save. Wanting a 1st turn kill means you'll need a gun with at least 24" range on it, and more likely 36" or better - the enemy general will rarely obligingly put the thing as far forward as he can.

Mossy Toes' Dark Reaper suggestion is an option, but S5 means you're only wounding on a 6... with BS4, that means you'll on average need to throw out 2 * 6(to wound) * 1.5(to hit) = 18 shots at it. Two shots per Reaper, so a squad of 9 Reapers and you still need to roll at least average. It gets a bit better when you've got an Exarch in there, but that's a lot of points in Dark Reapers shooting at a dinky 50-point gun emplacement. Obviously, we need a bigger gun.

Brightlances can do the trick, wounding on 3+. Which still on average requires (assuming BS4) 4.5 shots, which isn't going to be a cheap proposal either. Sadly, that goes for just about ALL the bigger guns. It takes a good 7 Scatter Lasers (27 shots) on average, which is even worse.

Try and ignore the Toughness then? Rangers might get us somewhere. 2 * 1.5 (BS) * 2 (Sniper) * 3 (Armour Save) = 18 shots. Near two full squads, but that's 'only' a bit over 200 points, which might actually be the cheapest way to kill the emplacement on turn 1... if you manage average rolls.

In short, shooting at the gun? Not the best idea. Focusing down the unit that's holding it is likely easier, but won't actually solve the problem as another unit can take it during his turn and your expensive plane will come in before you can fix THAT unit.

It's almost as if GW MEANT for that Gun emplacement to still be there. And they most likely did. Realistically, that gun is often the only thing the enemy has standing between semi-safety and your Crimson Hunter having free rein to kill things.

However, one thing to take note of: A single quad-gun can be overwhelmed with ease by simply throwing another Flyer into the mix. One of two will still have to jink... but not the other
Reapers can and should take Krak Missiles, a full squad can fire out 11 Str 8 shots at AP 3, typically thats enough to remove the Gun. It gets easier if you throw in a Tau Commander for Ignores Cover and Monster Hunter, meaning that gun is dead straight away.

Heavy Wraith cannons also have the range and str to kill it right off the bat, with the potential for a instant kill when rolling a 6.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 06:03 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

What about Serpent shields, maybe an option of last resort but still! No one have proposed prisms? Wound on 2+ and no armour save.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 07:26 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

I'd suggest a couple of DE allies on venom w/extra splintercannon. 24 poisoned shots should do the trick. For less than 250 you add a token troop, a nasty hq and 2 venoms with lots of poisoned shots.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Partybear's Flag is: United Kingdom

Some good suggestions, the reapers sound like the best option with the krak missiles atm due to their uses in the next turns will be vital also.
I have been dealing with this currently by allying in some ultramarines and alpha striking it with a pod with 5 guys equipped with melta gun and combi-melta and activate the tactical doctrine, this and a krak grenade with the bolter fire is usually enough to get it.......Expensive though

Play the Game Fool!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-13, 11:08 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Remember that in order to intercept, the gun needs to have line of sight to your finishing position. Unless you´re playing with a bad board, you should have somewhere to hide for the single turn it´s allowed to intercept you. Otherwise my suggestion is Fire Prisms small blast (you might be able to nail the character manning it as well if he fails his LOS roll) or Serpent Shields plus Scatter Lasers to twin link them provided you´re not going to have a lot of incoming fire.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode