Versus Tau Skimmers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-08, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Tau Skimmers

Well, with 5th on the way I figured I'd post a Versus that's nasty before and after the changeover.

Tau skimmers are almost as hated as their Eldar cousins...they're heavily armed and have a wide array of gadgets to make them more effective in a variety of situations.

In 4th, the Multitracker (allowing hem to fire as Fast vehicles) was the must have piece of gear, allowing the hover-tanks to move 7-12" and still fire, earning them the coveted 'skimmers moving fast' protection.

Well, in 5th, skimmers only gain an advantage when moving *over* 12" meaning that Tau skimmers (which are not Fast) can no longer benefit...

However, in 5th rather than always counting as glances, the benefit for skimmers moving fast is the same as obscured vehicles, a 4+ cover save.

Suddenly the Disruption Pod becomes the new must-have item. The Disruption Pod treats the vehicle as Obscured from any attacks at a range of 12" or further. Before this was a waste of points since obscured only gave a 50% chance of converting a penn into a glance, and a multitracker-equipped skimmer could always get glances

So, from now on, expect every Tau tank and transport to come equipped with a 4+ cover save against all your long-ranged attacks...as well as a Multi-Tracker that'll allow it to move at full speed and fire everything while imperial tanks can't even fire both their sponsons on the move.

So...How are you going to deal with Tau Skimmers in 5th?
How do you deal with them now?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 06-21-08 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-08, 05:18 PM

Steel Nathan's Flag is: Canada

Now? Fire the hell out of them with long ranged weapons. Plain and simple.

On 5th ed? Well.... good question. Well to me, a good way would actually be to charge them(I know I know... "HOW??"... I'm still trying to figure that out.)
Yes, charging could do(except that the bastards have to hit them on 6's, JOY!). But honestly, it be a pain to waste all of the lascannons/missle launchers/whatever at them and either a) rolling a 1 to hit b) failing to glace or c) passing the cover save ( or only getting a crew shaken/crew stunned)

But when you assault them( seeing that you have plenty of power fists, chain fists, rend..........., then let the fire works hit. Once you get past those annoying 6+ to hit, then watch the magic

That's my theory anyway.... not a good one but I'm going to try it
*orders 3 squads of termies for Blood Angels*
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-08, 06:04 PM

solitaire's Flag is: England

Get within 12' and use high str weapons would probably work quite well.

"Playing Warhammer is just like making love. It's usually done on a table and afterwards you always feel great shame. Plus like most fun things the older you get the less fun it becomes. So remember, always wear a condom while playing Warhammer - I've got mine on now."

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-08, 06:41 PM

Wait til sixth edition.

Otherwise, just ignore them and destroy the rest of the army. They can't hold objectives.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Don't forget, Waffles, Troops squads embarked on transports *can* hold objectives...so now you've got a pack of Fire Warriors in an unsinkable Devilfish parked on the objective. Not so easy to ignore.

Getting close is the ideal solution, but when it can move a full 12" and still fire its weapons, it becomes easier said than done. (especially if it;s a hammerhead with a railgun or ion cannon)

However, if it's any consolation, this will put a damper on Fish of Fury tactics
The idea of FOF is to park the devilfish within inches of your squad, deploy the FWs from the rear (Juuuuuust inside their Rapid Fire range) and use the devilfish to block assaults so the warriors can unload with their pulse rifles (since skimmers don't block LOS). Normal troops cannot assault around the devilfish because it's just too big. Then next turn you load up and move out to a different area. Shooting the tank never did much good because of the skimmers moving fast rule.

Now, however, to pull off a FOF move, you've got to put the devilfish too close for its disruption pod to work...so while you cannot assault his FWs right off, you can nuke their transport and either try for a charge across the wreck, or just take solace in the fact that next turn they're buggered.

I would expect to see FOF tactics abandoned in favor of semi-static firelines accompanied by 'warfish' (heavily armed devislfish with targeting arrays). Thanks to the new Dedicated Transport rules, you can use those fish to ferry other models around the board if need be, then on the last couple turns, expect to see the transports come home, load up Fire Warriors and make a balls-out break for objectives.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:04 AM

DarKKKKK's Flag is: USA

I would mostly say Melta weaponry and Deep striking Terms with Chain/Power fists, because its happens all too often that I shoot at the Tau skimmers with heavy weapons and it does next to nothing to it and I probably could have used the shot somewhere else. So mostly be patient and stay away from them until the opportune moment presents itself.

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods."
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:34 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

as my death guard need to be within 12 inches to be at their best, it doesn't do anything for the tau player but waste points. I deal with it as any source of incoming fire, take cover, advance through cover and annihilate the targets that present themselves, one at a time.

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:35 AM

Minion_1981's Flag is: USA

I read the rules but I might be forgetting some things, Do you still need 6's to hit skimmers in CC, I don't remember reading that, I read thou that if you move a Vehicle over 6 inches you need 6's to hit it like ground vehicles, so from what I gathered is that monoliths will at most need 4+ to hit, any confirmation on that? And I was wondering if Skimmers landed each time they move, because in the rules it says they have to take dangerous terrain tests now when the start or stop over difficult terrain, if that was in the old rules, I apologize

Tim
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:56 AM

Saint7515's Flag is: USA

Take my chances with Assault Marines and Melta bombs. Need 6's to hit, but somethings gonna/should blow if half the squad gets there.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

All vehicles are the same to hit in CC now (except Walkers, who use their WS, and are still 6+ against grenades). Stationary: Auto-hit, 6" or less 4+, More than 6" 6+, no matter if it's a skimmer or a ground tank.

And yes, Skimmers land now at the end of their move, so they have to take a DT test if you park them on difficult terrain. But only for *ending* their move there. They don;t have to roll again to move off of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode