Sentinals: How have you used them? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

JelloSea's Flag is: USA

Default Sentinals: How have you used them?

As the title suggests, How have you used them?

How did your tactics work out in the end?

What are your favorite configurations? Why?

What configurations do you dislike? Why?

Feel free to add other questions about sentinels. May this topic be our "go to" for those who love to play with and discuss sentinels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 07:38 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Hi Jello.
When I play my traitor IG I am used to field Sentinels. I've been often criticized for this (cause, you know, they're not so competitive...)
I've used them many ways:
1) at first, armored sents with lascannons, to support russes fire. Costly, frail, threatening. They die too fast, for what they can do. The BS 3 is a pain.
2) then i discovered the tactical prowess of Scout Sents! After some tryies I now field them in 2 main configurations:
-3 Outflanking with autocannons, to some nasty rear-side hail of shots to veichles (for a meager 120 pts)
-Not so often, 3 Naked with multilaser to deal with high T infantry, scouts units and the like, always outflanking. Against tyranids for 105pts you can have some fun. Not as good as the above config, imo.
-rarely with heavy flamers, outflanking as usual, for some objective dislodging. The real downside of this set-up, altough capable of dealing real pain, is the short range. It's not always possible to shoot twice, unless you are playing vs some careless Ork or Nid player.
This said, I use them mostly as a suicide unit. Thay show up on one side, shoot once or maybe twice and then die screaming. Doing so, however, they usually attract some good amount of firepower, even (after having caused some real damage) taking some anti-tank shots, diverged from my true armoured threats.
A fun unit indeed. Pair up with a Marbo and 5 Stormtrooper with 2 plasmaguns for some real havoc behind enemy lines. Alone, they can nonetheless pack a punch, if properly aimed.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 11:57 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

As paperweights. Pretty much any use of them, taking Vendetta's, Valkyries, LR Exterminators or Chimera's will do more effectively. They don't have the utlity, and they aren't a hard-counter for anything (while a Vendetta with a pair of Heavy Bolters is a soft counter for everything and a hard counter for armour).

Drop Sentinel MM's are another thing entirely though. 80pt Suicide Squads to destroy any vehicle in the game? Yes please.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 04:23 PM

I usee 4 armoured sentinels with autocannons to screen my tanks, they work pretty well
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 05:21 PM
Keen4e's Flag is: Czech Republic

I once tied Typhus (from the old codex) in close combat with armored sentinel. He had no krak grenades and so was out of the game, because the sentinel just would not let him go ;)

On a more serious note, outflanking scout sentinels are cheap and can be useful. I sometimes also use armored sentinels with plasma canon as a cheap variant of Leman Russ Executioner. They're probably not very competitive, but who cares: they're fun to play

The Emperor protects.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to run 2 when I get my list together. Though I'm still unsure of what config I will run.

I have narrowed it down to 4.

Armored with autocannons
Armored with plasma cannons
scout with autocannons
scout with multilasers

I will be taking GK allies. My list should differ from game to game, but I think my first game I'm going to take a paladin deathstar with draigo. My group is not super competitive. I dont think anyone takes flyers yet. All I know is I playtested a draigo wing list against a nid player and I didnt lose a KP and I tabled him.

I feel like Im going to take a 30 man blob, with a commissar lord as an HQ attached to it, to hold my base objective. Probably lascannons in the blob. I will probably take a mortar team because I love the models. I will also probably take 2 regular infantry squads w/ flamers in chimeras. Extra capture power and I love the flamer model. I don't think I will take anything with an AV over 12. I may take melta vets in a chimera.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to have a fair bit of extra points in addition to the sentinels. But off of what I said, what do you think I should do out outfit them?

Side note: game 1 will likely be against thousand sons.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 10:07 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

i like auto cannons on scout sents - outflank and tear up some weak tank or something. destroyed a ton of guard tanks and SM whirlwinds thataway

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Do you find that they usually die the following turn? It makes me a little scared that a volly of bolter fire will likely down my walkers.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 08:21 AM

maelstrom48's Flag is: USA

Scout Sentinels will always die. You just have to make sure they take out something valuable, because honestly, valuable is something Sentinel's aren't. So if they'll come in and take a Predator Annihilator in the side or even rear armor, awesome. With that in mind, I like Scout Sentinels with autocannons.

With that said, a Vendetta does the job better. Buy one of those instead. But I'm fully expecting them to get either a nerf or a substantial points boost for our next codex.

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

So basically, 2 plasma Cannon armored Sentinels are a poor choice?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode