what happened to chaos terminators? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-13, 11:11 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Honestly, I think I'm going to argue against MoN Termis in my tactica. Almost any weapon with AP2 (apart from, say, a power axe) is going to be wounding Termis easily enough that it doesn't justify the cost. Less small arms armor saves are always nice, but on Termis, aren't too much of a concern, really. Just stick Typhus in a squad of unmarked Termis and save on points, if you want to go competitive.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 11:09 AM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Chaos termis are great, combi plasma will ruin anybodies day. I still think they are one of the better units in the chaos elite section

There are 2 ways to use them With a character in a raider, tool up on CC weapons, I prefer DLCs with a MoS (This is expensive but gets the job done, MoS is needed to avoid dying to weight of numbers, don't fight other termis)

or a larger unit with combi-plasma. Deep strike and kill those pesky AA units to give your Heldrakes a field day, or those devastators. If fighting guard swap to combi meltas to kill those russes. For more take on all comers tourni lists take mix of plas/melt
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-13, 10:02 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

When I've got the points to spend, I used to enjoy running two units of MoT terminators, one with combi plasmas and one with dual lightning claws. At the time I was facing a lot of power weapons and melta/plasma, so the extra invuln save really was a 'god'send. Looking to get the new codex when I get back from the sandpit, and maybe revitalise my chaos forces.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 02:21 AM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

I think CSM Termies suffer from severa issues.
Issue number 1 is lackluster shooting.
Raper ACs wont rape stuff, they are way worse then Assaultcannons/Cyclones of the loyalist counterpart, Combiplasmas to back them up or not. 1shot guns arent as attractive on expensive bearers as they are on cheap "fire-and-forget" units/models.

Issue number 2 is not only bad.
They do have more flexibility in the CC section which is nice, this can cut some corners with the price of the unit, but can also lead to a diluted unit that accidentally lost "important joe" and got boned in CC anyway.
They do however lack the Stormshields which makes Hammernators great which is bad.

Issue number 3 is a sore one.
No useful transport available. LR carries 5 and thats it. Crusaders take 8 which lets you have a beefy unit like 7 + character, thats a lot "more" then 4 + character. Add the fact that the Loylalist LRs are better in general and that the Crusader was built to move, unlike the Godhammer pattern which wastes a lot of Lascannons when it does.
They also lack access to Drop Pod which sucks for controlled insertions.

Issue 4 is somewhat like number 2, not only a problem.
Morale sucks, even more so on expensive units. CSM suffers from bad morale rules now, with a general drop in LD across the book and no SM rules to back it up a lot of your points can be sent packing.
Naturally you can put the boss here to prevent that, but then we are back to 4+boss if you want a ride, or left to hoof it across the table, which isnt what a CC friendly unit wants...

The old tried and true Termicide units are still good, if nothing else you can go for that. There is always some Vehicle that likes it some melta love on the table

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 03:10 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I didn't think that Typhus could join a unit with MoT, only units with MoN or Undivided?

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 04:13 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
I didn't think that Typhus could join a unit with MoT, only units with MoN or Undivided?
very much true with the new codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 05:50 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenManiac View Post
Issue 4 is somewhat like number 2, not only a problem.
Morale sucks, even more so on expensive units. CSM suffers from bad morale rules now, with a general drop in LD across the book and no SM rules to back it up a lot of your points can be sent packing.
Naturally you can put the boss here to prevent that, but then we are back to 4+boss if you want a ride, or left to hoof it across the table, which isnt what a CC friendly unit wants...
I thought CSM were all Ld8, with a minimal points investment for Ld9 and Hatred: Pretty-much-the-whole-game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenManiac View Post
The old tried and true Termicide units are still good, if nothing else you can go for that. There is always some Vehicle that likes it some melta love on the table
Agreed.

I think the main problem is that Terminators are unfortunately pretty crap in 6th, Chaos or no. They're FAR too quick to fold to small-arms to justify their high points cost, and to be honest when 5 Veterans with Feel No Pain and 4 Plasma Guns costs a full 50pts less than 5 Terminators (I play DA), I'd turn to the Veterans every single time. Terminators have Power Fists, but not the survivability to use them to full effectiveness - 2+ armour goes a long way if you roll saves like a boss, but lots of bodies in cover is so much more durable than a small number of high-quality Terminators it's unreal.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-13, 02:00 AM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I thought CSM were all Ld8, with a minimal points investment for Ld9 and Hatred: Pretty-much-the-whole-game?...
They are indeed, however all those minimal investments kind a adds up...

If you give a CSM Termie a PF he costs just like a SM termie. Differences here are storm/combi bolter which is ok either way. But you miss out on both combat squads and general SM morale rules. This is not reflected in the CSM termie cost.

As said Termies suffer in the game as it is, buying "worse" termies for the same points isnt a deal at all...
Its also kind of interesting that the cult units are fearless but not terminators/obliterators and the like...

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-13, 02:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Uh..perhaps I missed something, but aren't chaos terminators leadership nine? And even with a powerfist, they are still cheaper than their loyalist counterparts.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-13, 06:41 PM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

I don't play Chaos, but don't they come with "Power Weapons" allowing you to pick whatever weapon you want? some Axe's or Maul's are a nice setup, something regular Termies cannot do.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode