Which Heavy Support? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-13, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Fellipe's Flag is: Grreece

Default Which Heavy Support?

Hi guys,

So i'm in the process of trying different builds in a DA list and one of my puzzlement is what sort of heavy support choice to use.
I rulled out the LSV (to fragile for and not enough range) and the Preds (because i don't have the models).
LR i think are to much points in one basket and are there to effectively transport a DW or DWK squad to the heat of battle.
So in the list i'm running which is a Ravenwing heavy list (Sammy, Libby on bike lvl2 divination, 2x6 RAS, 2x3 RAS, 6 RBK, LS Darkshroud, 3x LS Typhoon as a squadron , 9x Tactical with ML flakk+ Rhino) i have a spot for 2 heavy choices.
Either 2x5 Devastators with 3 LC each or 2 Vindicators.

I really lean towards the Devs (using them also as snap firing squads vs flyers) but i can not decide 100% because i dream of those Vindis firing their St10 AP2 large blast on all those infantry blobs or Termies and i sleep with a wide smile on my face.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-13, 09:41 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellipe View Post
So in the list i'm running which is a Ravenwing heavy list (Sammy, Libby on bike lvl2 divination, 2x6 RAS, 2x3 RAS, 6 RBK, LS Darkshroud, 3x LS Typhoon as a squadron , 9x Tactical with ML flakk+ Rhino) i have a spot for 2 heavy choices.

I really lean towards the Devs (using them also as snap firing squads vs flyers) but i can not decide 100% because i dream of those Vindis firing their St10 AP2 large blast on all those infantry blobs or Termies and i sleep with a wide smile on my face.

What do you think?
I'd say 2 squads of Devastators with Missile Launchers and Flak Missiles. Against a Heldrake, this list will keel over and die a horrible death and seeing as they're on the rise, you need to be able to deal with them. Personally I'd screw the Tacticals as well and take more Bikes, but that's preference.

Against infantry hordes, you can do just as much damage with Frag Missiles as with a Demolisher Cannon, and against Terminators you have Ravenwing Black Knights. The only Terminator unit that won't vapourise in front of them is 10 Paladins, but even then you can do significant damage to them with the Black Knights before piling on armour saves with Frag Missiles/Bolters.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-13, 09:44 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellipe View Post
I ruled out the LSV (too fragile for and not enough range)
I think you're missing a trick here. Because it's a Fast Skimmer, you can move and shoot, so really you do have quite good range. More to the point, I doubt you could find similar anti-elite firepower anywhere else for the same deal. That said, I do understand that it is a lot to pay for what is a very fragile unit.

and the Preds (because i don't have the models).
This would be your best bet IMO. Autocannons are godlike, and this is your cheapest platform for them.

LR i think are to much points in one basket and are there to effectively transport a DW or DWK squad to the heat of battle.
Agreed. And even then, you don't really need one in a DW list anyway.

Looks quite good. Personally, I'd either drop the Tactical to 5 models, or bump it up to 10, as 9 is just a waste of points really. Extra bolters are useless.

Ah. Let me introduce you to one of my personal rules for 40k. Melta and Missiles are for Marines, Lascannons are for Lesser men (i.e. Guard). Seriously, we pay through the nose for something that has no instant-death bonuses over a ML, has a minor AP upgrade, and no secondary fire option. We can't spam them in the same numbers as Guard, even if we have better accuracy. On the other hand, Missile Launchers are infinitely more flexible, especially with Flakk missiles, and have relatively few drawbacks.

The Vindicators are nice on paper, but I find they don't quite deliver a lot of the time. That said, I think they synergise quite well with your army, as they provide close range support which is what a Ravenwing list is all about.

Why snap fire lascannons when you can use Flakk missiles? It just kinda proves my point. But as I mentioned, the Vindies would work quite well here.
Thoughts in green.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-13, 10:12 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

What about a Whirlwind? Against Guard, orks, eldar, Tau (Basically anything not in power armour) they can be devastating

2 devastator squads with flak work well, they are versatile to deal with most threats and work really well with divination psykers

I have a unit of las-devastators for my blood ravens and never use them, with hull points missiles are just better in every way
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-13, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Fellipe's Flag is: Grreece

Thanks for your replies.
This is my thinking on LC vs ML+flakk. This may require a little mathammer so if anyone can do it please help.
When you shoot with 3 ML+ flakk i think you are just going for a "glance to death" result against AV12 (the biggest threat being the Helldrake, which is the bane in my local club, seeing lists with 2 almost in every game i play against CSM) since you will need 5's to glance and 6's to penetrate. With the 3 LC you have an ultimate anti-tank weapon and although snap firing against flyers you will benefit more from the 3+ for glancing , 4+ for penetration and don't forget the AP2 rule on the damage table roll, once you score a hit.
Am i dreaming and are my math so worse (actually i suck at math).
So what will the dice gods decide?
Also don't forget that my list (i will post it correct and for judgement in the Army lists section) wants something to synergies with the 3 LS Typhoons (they also can snap fire with 6 S8 shots)

@spanner94ezekiel
I forgot that you can move the damn thing as a speeder...
(I'm looking forward for your updated DA tactics analysis)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-13, 10:47 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

OK, so say you have 2x 5 man Devvie squads with 4 Flakk missiles apiece:

8 shots, 66.7% hit = 5.3 hits.
5 hits, 16.7% pen = 0.89 pens, plus 0.89 glances.

Not including Jink.

Then your 4x Lascannons:

4 Shots at 66.7% hits = 2.67 hits
2.67 hits pen at 33.3% = 0.89 pens, plus 0.44 glances.

Yes you do get that +1 from the AP2, but I'd rather take my chances with the Flakks if they're going to be jinking another third of your pens.

And yes, the breakdown is still a WIP - I'll hopefully have it complete by the end of next week.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-13, 11:24 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Maths is a off there as shooting at flyers is snap without flakk

A lascannon at a heldrake has a 16.7% chance of a hit so you get 0.67 hits rather than 2.67
So 0.22 Pens plus 0.11 glances

Flakk missiles will therefore do twice as much to the drake

Honestly I'd rather at least glance a couple of times rather than do nothing and miss. Lascannons are fantastic against Russ's and Landraiders but not accurate enough to take down flyers. If you hit with your las you will likely down the flyer but you have to be lucky.

Its not as bad if your Orks or guard as you have tonnes of heavy guns but marines need to maximise their high BS. I know out of either flak or lascannons which unit I'd prioritise to Baleflame.

Missiles are also far more versatile once the flyers are gone as they are effective against infantry as well

Last edited by Barnster; 02-13-13 at 11:53 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode