IG Veterans in 6th? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-13, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Arcane's Flag is: USA

Default IG Veterans in 6th?

I haven't used my Vets much in 6th ed and I'm curious what is the best role for them in the new edition? My lists are the usual Autocamping troops backed by LRBTs and Vendetta.

How do people feel about putting them in Vendettas now? What about just throwing em in a Chimera?

Does anyone even bother with Doctrines anymore or are they too expensive?

Last edited by Arcane; 01-17-13 at 05:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-13, 05:31 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I like to run

ADL w/QC

Lord Comm w/ camo
Harker
Vets w/ 3 snipers and ac hwt w/ forward sentries

Lots of chances at precision shot fun, I have the LC man the QC.

Effective? It kills stuff and is fun to pick on special things in units

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-13, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I like it but I'm kind of thinking something somewhat cheaper for an allied force to unlock a Vendetta or Leman Russ. I want the Vets to still be effective though.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-13, 06:11 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Everything i listed with a vendetta is 530 ish

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-13, 08:04 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Some things should never change when fielding Vets, regardless of the edition.

Special Weapons choices should always be Melta or Plasma....all the rest are lesser choices by either been poor at actually doing much damage (Snipers/GL's), or not utilising the BS value (Flamers).

Some IG'ers crap on about Get's hot been a killer for using Plasma, so forgo using one of the most powerful and effective weapons for lesser ones....what a hoot, under - utilising our best Troops due to a 1 in 6 chance of dying, unfreaking believable.

Personally though, I would consider suicidal 5-man ST Squads with 2 Meltas to do the early game backfield AV duty, which makes it easier to accept that ChiMeltaVets hold back for those first few turns like I say further down.

While I'm on the subject of weapons, the most useful and versatile Heavy Weapons are AC and Lascannon, the rest are poorer choices unless as used as Hull weapons on vehicles (HB/HF).

Vets never ever should be on foot, well until forced out of a vehicle...T3 guys die far too easily to far too many widely used enemy weapons.

I disliked Vets in Vendettas in 5th Ed but seen as the Flyer is now more durable and likely to last until late game turns I can see having Plasma Vets for late-game Objective taking.

Vets in Chimeras are still viable but need to be held back for a few turns so HP's don't get stripped off too early, and leave the Vets on foot and in range of too much enemy firepower once that happens.

Mech lists should have the maximum amount of vehicles possible, so for that reason I don't see Hybrid foot/mech lists been that effective now. So Vets in Chimeras, Artillery at the back in an ADL, and Hellhound and Russ varients out front moving forward slowly.

Doctrines have never been popular, especially not on multiple Squads, because it's far more effective to just field more bodies.

Bear in mind I'm talking about competitive gaming here...this is the Tactics Forum afterall.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-13, 11:47 AM

maelstrom48's Flag is: USA

I agree on the plasmas, HOBO. I run infantry gunline due to lack of Chimeras (I'm pretty frugal). I play Salamanders and Tyranids routinely, and both my opponents have learned that my gunline is very vulnerable to templates. I counter their deep striking templates by spreading out my infantry so that my deployment zone is filled. In the middle of that infantry blob, I stick my plasma vets. Flame templates fail to reach them during my opponent's turn; the next, the plasma vets move forward and hose the deep-struck unit. If you deep strike vs my army, you're going to die. Pretty much the way things go.

Just a thought about vets' place in a blob guard army.

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-13, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I've heard throwing in a single sniper can be good because of the chance of pinning your opponent. Common tactic with Firewarrios and carbines.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-13, 06:26 PM

Nave Senrag's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I've heard throwing in a single sniper can be good because of the chance of pinning your opponent. Common tactic with Firewarrios and carbines.
It's not worth it. You've got a 75% chance to hit, a 50% chance to wound, then whatever you're shooting at has to fail an armor save (excepting the occasional rend) and then a pinning test.

That's a very low percentage chance just to make one squad unable to move or fire anything but snap shots. You're better off spending the points on something useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Yup, that sounds about right. The only faction who are a bigger bunch of backstabbers than the Imperium are the Eldar (and this is debatable as the Eldar only stab OTHER factions in the back).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-13, 07:11 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've been running a fully pumped up vet squad in a vendetta and its been doing sterling work for me:

3 plasmaguns, plasma pistol and demolitions doctrine.

That pumps the squad up to 155pts but it adds the mid-field punch that I've really been needing. I'm willing to accept the unit is basically a throw away and it'll die pretty easily once it hits the table but its there to target an enemy unit the rest of my army will struggle with.
My big problem to date has been MCs and TEQs.... which vets mess up pretty easily. Add to that the meltabombs from demolitions and I can deploy into terrain, shoot the crap out of an MC and then hit t with S8 AP1 combat attacks if it charges me (as few MCs have assault grenade equivalents).

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-13, 08:32 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Call me old fashioned but I am a fan of keeping things simple: Lots and lots of infantry everywhere to utilise the guard's "we roll more dice than you" strengths. Then just whack the Veterans in Chimeras on the flanks with melta or plasma (though I prefer putting the plasma in more disposable squads as gets hot is an issue, 2in 6 chance when rapid firing).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode