Versus Powerfist Squad Leaders - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Powerfist Squad Leaders

My apologies for starting this one so late, this is one of my favorite suggestions and it was recent too! just goes to show you that your ideas ARE valuable. Hit the link above and let us know what you want to see taken down.

Anyhow, plug over, onto the topic...

Everyone knows the pain...here comes a squad of marines, or a bigass ork mob, or even an IG squad...and at the head of the pack is a guy with the Right Hand of Doom. A powerfist. You know as soon as you get into assault, that guy is going to kill half your squad, flat out. No saves, no feel no pain, barely even a wound roll...and what's worse, under the current (4th ed) rules, he's almost impossible to single out and kill!

So what do you do? How do you deal with the dreaded 'Hidden Fist'?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 01:47 AM

mrrshann618's Flag is: USA

Several of the members of the group I usually play with are around measurements all day. Thus we are fairly good at judging distances. Since technically you can only remove models within range of the weapon, we would often times move the figures and rapid fire on that lead Sgt., or that lead few guys. 16 bolter and 2 plasma shots usually kills the 2 or 3 within range.

Ohh Most memebers of our groups stopped moving around with a triangle, or blunted triangle formation. Now most people advance in small blocks to lessen that problem.

For every battle honor, a thousand heroes die alone, unsung and unremembered.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 02:25 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Psychic powers like Gift of Chaos and mind war have the advantage of being able to target individual models, including pesky fisty vets. Mind war especially comes into its own against such targets.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 03:06 AM
Tactless Tactician

I bring my own.

*shrug*

As an Ork player, I have faith in the fact that my Klaw will be around long enough to take care of Sergeant Puff'n'Stuff.

Alternately, you can try to bring him down through superior firepower- and for Marine on Marine violence, I've found that sometimes a power sword can clear the kill zone before the Fist came come into play.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 03:10 AM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

There are two good options for fighting a PF-monkey. You can either out-power weapon him with say...termies or something like that, or you can zerg the squad. His attacks are good, but they can't overcome sheer numbers most of the time. The simplest option is to mitigate his attacks by not letting him get the charge. that's where they get devestating. You can also try to attack him with a high initiative unit like howling banshees, genestealers, or wyches. Kill them before they get to strike.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 03:38 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Sergeants are hardly what I'd call a major threat. They're good, yes, but they're throwing three attacks, which have to hit first before they can smash someone. So usually, you're getting one or two models with that power fist, not three or four. If it really bothers you, though, it's better to make sure you're able to inflict more wounds with regular weapons (which happens anyway purely through volume of dice rolled) than the other guy. If you cause four casualties with chainswords, and the other guy causes two, the sergeant is going to MAYBE tie the combat. Power fists are useful tools, but only a fool relies on them to win combat for them on their own.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 04:10 AM

Morgal's Flag is: Canada

Throw a squad of IG at em to ensure they can't assault the tank, or position tanks behind troops.

Yeah, well the Space Marines never dropped forty thousand feet in a drop pod WITHOUT power armor.
-Lt.Hperon of the Olympian 125th "Hell Troopers"[KIA]
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 05:27 AM
Tactless Tactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
Sergeants are hardly what I'd call a major threat.
Hey now... my Klaw-wielding Nobz are the best anti-tank weapon in my army!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 06:39 AM

chrisman 007's Flag is: Christmas Islands

Location: The People's Glorius Republic of the Chrisman Union. Also known as my bedroom.

Well, if your a guard player, there's always a few pie plate launching death wagons (or leman russes, if you prefer) to reduce the squad size, and then it's just a case of pew pew pew till they're all gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Buy a beartrap. How will it help in retrospect? Use your imagination. I'm sure you can think of something.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 10:15 PM

shas'o7's Flag is: United Kingdom

WOOOOOOHOOOOO!
100th Post!

So, how to beat a guy that will be almost invincible in close combat.............

Well, Pie plate weapons will weaken his squad. You can try to get into CC with someone even nastier.

Really though, its going to end with shooting everything you've got at him.

Please Click!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode