Advice for a new Necron player - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-12, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Default Advice for a new Necron player

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to be asking this question, but it relates to tactics as well as modelling.

Coming from the boxed set (which I haven't yet bought but am seriously considering), should I go with assembling the vehicle as a Ghost Ark or a Doomsday Ark? I mainly just want to have another army to play with, something to entreat new people to play the game with me. I might use it as an allied contingent with my BA army, but I doubt it and if I do, it will definitely not be serious gaming. I played Necrons when they first came out, but that was when I was like...14 (maybe) and stopping for 8 years has erased all tactics that once brewed in my mind. Not to mention they're a totally different army.

Back to my initial question: What's better for supporting the army in a box idea for Necrons, the Ghost Ark or Doomsday Ark? The super strong weapon is a huge temptation, but the skimmer zooming up and broadsiding things is appealing to me as well coming from a BA background.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-12, 07:19 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Moved to 40K tactics.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-12, 07:21 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

As an answer to your question, I'd say that the ghost ark has more viability and versatility in most Necron lists. In order to have an effective Doomsday Ark list, you more or less need to tailor your army around them to maximize their potency.

However, something you could do (that Iron Angel did here) is build/convert your Ghost Ark in a way that you can actually interchange the bits with Doomsday Ark pieces, or at least you could buy the ribs that would let you swap in between the two vehicles.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-12, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering if somehow it was possible to magnetize it all to be interchangeable, but from what I can tell by the pictures they both look pretty unique. The ability to respawn close by Necrons is worth more then a S9 shot I guess, since a squad of warriors could potentially bring anything down in a turn with the right rolls.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-12, 05:24 PM

I'm a fan of the Ghost Ark myself. It can be a wonderfully strong defensive firing platform. And as an aside, other than in a tournament or an overly specific game store, no one should have a problem with you proxying it as a doomsday ark if you want. The Ghost Ark is a bit more work to paint and assemble in my opinion, just to get all the models done rather than the gun.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-12, 04:07 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

For starting out, the Ghost Ark is better, though harder to build and paint. Well, not harder, but takes longer. It really frustrates opponents when you can replace anything they kill. Bare in mind, it is pretty slow to cross a battlefield and still fire effectively.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 02:38 PM

I think you can do more with a ghost ark e.g fill it with models and get them to shoot out the top, transport, and replenish warriors, whereas the doom ark you just have to sit it in a good position and shoot it. You can magnetise it because I have seen a couple of people do it on youtube, but you will need a lot of magnets.

I still want to try out moving 10 immortals in the ghost ark surrounded by a 20 man squad of warriors with a d lord and see what they can do, thats a heck of a lot of shots.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-12, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

haha falcoso you basically just described my army's tactics. If the points allow I'm going to use the scarabs as well. What do you mean by a 'd lord'? I was thinking normal lord with warscythe, res orb and weave but that was out of me not wanting to spend a ton of money initially. Gotta spread that out.

Thanks everyone for the advice! That non-moving shot of the doomsday ark is just so nice....maybe as I expand I'll include a pair.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-12, 09:51 AM

A destroyer lord, he has prefferred eney (everything) so if (in the case I explained above) you had a destroyer lord in the 20 man squad of warriors all the warriors are re-rolling 1s to hit and wound. Destroyer lords are effectively jump infantry overlords with +1 toughness and preffered enemy, however they don't unlock a royal court

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode