Versus The Hive Tyrant - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus The Hive Tyrant

Even worse than the Carnifex, the hive Tyrant is bigger, nastier and has more options...and usually they come with wings.

There's a lot of different configurations, so let's hear your most dreaded and how to take that mother down.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 04:41 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

Line up the lascannons and plasma guns and unload all you got! The key is to focus your best ap firepower.
Hopefully there are not too many body guards with the tyrant, but thankfully they are pretty slow moving on foot so you should get a couple of turns of shooting. Of course this may change in the 5th with this new running rule!
Also I once managed to beat a winged tyrant in hand to hand with a chaos dreadnaught with extra close combat arm, but wouldn't want to gurantee that one every game!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 05:53 PM

titan136's Flag is: Canada

Actually, the tyrant is smaller, and has fewer options than the Carnifex. It still is nastier though.

The most dangerous tyrant build in my mind for 4th edition would be the dakka flyrant. Pumping out 12 reroll-to-hit-and-wound shots right before assaulting with a higher initiative than you is enough to wipe out most squads.

The best way to combat a tyrant is shooting it with AP2 weapons. It has difficult if any invulnerable saves (6+? please...).

The difficult part is catching it out in the open. A flying tyrant's mobility is its deadliest weapon. It can lurk behind aread terrain and wait for a chance to strike.

Squad support is very important as you're unlikely to have one squad that can absorb its charge, especially if its tricky and limits its kill zone on the charge. Have a counter charge squad ready and keep those hidden powerfists handy.

The tyrant is going to take a hit in 5th edition though as true line of sight, counter charge moves and running (which makes the walking, 3 guard tyrant look more attractive) take effect.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 05:59 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

This is not a comment about you Slaaneshy, because everyone seems to do it, but one day someone will make a comment on a 'VS' thread that does not include 'BLAST IT WITH LAS CANNONS!'. Lets take it as read that a Las Cannon or sniper will take out anything in 40k if you shoot it enough times.

Lets be creative.

Tell me more about the chaos dred configuration for example - what was it that allowed you to own the tyrant with it? How did you get it close enough to assault, because dreds are slow and tyrants can be fast?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 07:45 PM

titan136's Flag is: Canada

Musta been a super lucky dread. A tyrant would strike before you with 3 or more attacks, each adding extra an dice to penetrate.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 11:37 PM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
This is not a comment about you Slaaneshy, because everyone seems to do it, but one day someone will make a comment on a 'VS' thread that does not include 'BLAST IT WITH LAS CANNONS!'. Lets take it as read that a Las Cannon or sniper will take out anything in 40k if you shoot it enough times.

Lets be creative.

Tell me more about the chaos dred configuration for example - what was it that allowed you to own the tyrant with it? How did you get it close enough to assault, because dreds are slow and tyrants can be fast?
guess you don't like the "I waste him with my crossbow" types
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-08, 11:41 PM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

Against a hive tyrant, I would employ weapons like autocannons, that have a fair mix of high strength and rate of fire. i would nor worry about it's armor save, as if you cause enough wounds, some will eventually stick. As an alternate, you can focus fire on the less gribbly synapse creatures, and then break the smaller nids. A tyrant by itself is much less scary than a tyrant with other bugs with it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-08, 12:32 AM
delta555's Flag is: USA

yes and for u i will not say las cannons but heavys will be important id say heavy bolters to balst a path to it and then get ogryns or something that takes lots of damage or a few squads they have to break through to get to your men with poer fists that fight the tyrrant

Aka anything to keep whoever is attacking u away from your powerfists except the tyrrant
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-08, 12:47 AM

Syko515's Flag is: USA

the last tyrant i killed was a flyrant with scything talons. i deepstriked a squad of 6 chaos terminators sporting combi-plamsa as our very own Katie Drake has subjested thousands of times. they landed 6" from it and unloaded thier many many str7 ap 2 shots into the beast felling it with wounds to spare.

Ave Dominae Nox
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-08, 01:51 AM

Sieg's Flag is: USA

i would say go balls out and charge it with a dude with a force weapon. Go big or go home after all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode