Sixth Edition Dark Eldar - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Pandora's Flag is: USA

Sixth Edition Dark Eldar

Not to copy the soulless machines, but we in Commoragh have much to be looking forward to, as well as some things to dread. Based purely on snippets of leaked rules as well as a few remaining rumors, here is what I have gathered. Feel free to discuss and add more.

Skimmers and Flyers: Jink: We have no need to use the 5+ cover save here. Flickerfields are more than worth their points if we get the same save that everyone else can get but we get to keep our BS.

Reavers: Jink: Turbo-boost to strafe attack, Jink at 4+, repeat. Not as good as the 3+ was and with BS reducing to 1 to get the save, gun upgrades are becoming pointless.

Beastmasters: Still not the best choice for Fast Attack but ignoring terrain does have benefits.

Talos and Cronos: Roughly the same as 5th. But with the smash attacks, even a Cronos can take out tanks now. Probably still better for shooting.

Hellions and Scourges: Being Jump infantry sounds like a really good thing in sixth edition. Neither really wants to be in combat but it's better than being shot.

Assaulting with Overwatch: Potentially suicidal now against certain gun-line units. Incubi stand a better chance because of armor, while Wracksand Grostesques start with FNP. Hopefully Wyches get Dodge from Overwatch shots. If not, it may be better to get assaulted and rely on high initiative.

Feel No Pain: Ouch! A 5+ is terrible, even if it does ignore power weapons(probably because they are only AP 3 now). Doubling our Toughness is not hard for most units., so even AP 4 weapons like Assault Cannons and Autocannons cream us. Necrons at least have the option to increase their RP save to 4+.

Power Weapons: Incubi and Agonisers loose some of their bite. My Incubi currently excel at taking out Terminators but with Power Weapons only being AP 3 those days are gone.

Lances and other good AP: If it's true that AP 2 gives +1 to penetrate armor than we are set. The AP 1 Heat Lance may have +2.

Anti-air: The Razorwing is a prime candidate for taking out other flyers. Hopefully skimmers and/or jet bikes can also hit flyers without lowering BS. Maybe some hope for the Reaver upgrade weapons afterall.

Haywire grenades: If glancing removes hull points and removing hull points wrecks a vehicle than these become quite nice.

I feel I'm forgetting some things but I can't think of what. Add them in if you want. Unfortunately after writing these out, I'm not as positive as I was. Guess we'll have to play to see.

Evil is like shadow. It hides in the tiny cracks, biding its time until the Light fades.

Last edited by Pandora; 06-25-12 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 05:41 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

the 2 things that i do not like with the new edition are that power weapons are AP3 and that FNP is 5+ i do not even play DE and that hinders everything that they are. i see more warrior in raider spam than wyches for the foreseeable future, especially with the nerf to multi-assaults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 05:44 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Bye-bye wyches. Hello mass poison/lance spam.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 10:32 PM

I would think Haywire grenades would still be pretty sweet on the wyches.

Wife: "How much do you have invested in these ... miniatures?"

Me: "I don't think invested is the right word."
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-12, 10:44 PM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

You may also want to look at taking allies, I have a feeling Eldar allies will greatly enhance the army. I mean take an archon with a shadow field and add in a farseer with fortune and you now have an archon with a 2++ that re-rolls failed saves.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 04:08 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I wouldn't put the Wyches in coffins just yet. They will just need to select their targets more carefully than before. I'd be more concerned about the Wyches not rolling high enough to reach combat than being killed by Overwatch.

An Eldar Farseer casting Fortune on an Archon with a squad of Incubi could be very nice. And even with Talos and Cronos running around, I've always wanted an Avatar or Wraithlord for my Dark Eldar.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 05:02 AM

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

6th may see me with some allies for my Dark Eldar, possibly Slave IG, or allegiences with the Tau under thoughts of "cultural exchange" again. Maybe Manipulate some Orks into being front lines for my Kabal, etc. Plenty of possibilities here with the allies.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Pandora's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr View Post
6th may see me with some allies for my Dark Eldar, possibly Slave IG, or allegiences with the Tau under thoughts of "cultural exchange" again. Maybe Manipulate some Orks into being front lines for my Kabal, etc. Plenty of possibilities here with the allies.
Indeed. But the slave forces should be your first wave. Why should we die when we have them.

Evil is like shadow. It hides in the tiny cracks, biding its time until the Light fades.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-12, 02:17 PM

Sephyr's Flag is: Brazil

I admit I'm really disheartened. It does feel they want DE to be a shooting-only army; Tau with more fragile vehicles. Except Tau don't have fleet, combat drugs, open-topped transports and lots of other traits that give them the feel of an assault army, like DE does.

Holding the judgement until the FAQ; if Agonizers, Demiklaives, Vect's ccw and a few other bit of wargear are AP 2, I'll consider it balanced.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-30-12, 11:53 AM

Akhara'Keth's Flag is: Germany

So, the FAQ is up! what do you guys think? And from a competetive point of view, which Allies would you choose?

Check out my German 40k Blog!!

http://tausend-tore.blogspot.de/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode