Versus Necron Destroyers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Necron Destroyers

They're very heavily armed and very, very fast. They move like Jetbikes and pack either Gauss cannons or Heavy Gauss cannons, depending upon the variant. Vicious bastards.

So how do you deal with them?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 02:23 PM

kungfoomasta's Flag is: USA

they have t5 and 3+ save so get in cc where they suck or just hope they fail alot of saves and wbb rolls

Never doubt the incompetence of your commisar.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

But as fast as they are, it won't be easy to engage them

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 05:10 PM

My take on this would be to nullify their mobility...I remember a tactic for dealing with mech tau that involved essentially closing them in a space, so no matter where they went, they'd always be within range of your guns.

Likewise, make sure that wherever those destroyers move, they will be within the threat radius of at least one of your units. Shouldn't be too hard to do with a balanced list.

Thank you Wolf, for this excellent sig!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 05:27 PM

Alexander_67's Flag is: Great Britain

Destroyers are nasty as hell. Not only are troops at risk from the fire but the heavy 3 gauss will mean lots of vehicle glances. They're range exceeds everything else in the necron army seeing as they move like jet bikes and have 36 inch gun. Most of the tactics of use i've seen are just sitting them behind necron lines and using them like support instead of immortals. The massive range means they arent just like the monolith and can be ignored.

T5 means they are only denyed there we'll be back with str 10 ranged weapons. Perhaps a pie plate from the vindicator if it can live long enough or the tau rails. Other than that its just piling in the shots and try to get them all in one turn to deny the WBB rule.

CC is a viable option if you have the means to get there. I've killed a unit of 3 with a callidus before. Then again my callidus is turning into a sort of one stop cure for things lately. But remember they are jetbikes. Get close they are probably just going to run off. And they can move far and still shoot. Nail one of them with shooting and the unit probably wont run far as the WBB needs one of the same type of unit within 6. That should help pin em down for CC to move in.

Ideally in any fight against necrons these guys should be your anti-tanks first port of call. A full unit of 5 normal destroyers can pump out 15 shots that deny marines their armour save. Against anything from normal marines to battlesuits and demon princes thats bad news. The math on vehicle glances isnt good either.

A great tactician knows that victory is one part planning and nine parts faith

Remember Alex arrogance killed the person nobody liked.

Witch hunters Order of the Purging Blade Tally
Wins - 9 (2000 pt space marine force)
Losses - 3
Draw - 3
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-30-08, 11:04 PM

Against the 'necron air force' (armies that consist of almost purely destroyers), I tend to do decently. If they're taking almost purely destroyers, they won't have the points to bring a monolith, and therefore if you can get into HtH with them, that entire squad's effectiveness is pretty much shot for the rest of the game. How to get them in HtH?

Being a Blood Angels player, I generally turbo- boost my MM bikes toward the destroyers, making them pretty difficult to kill if the destroyers decide to fire on them. If the destroyers decide to stick around, I can tie them up in CC almost indefintely. If they decide to run away, they'll have to turbo away, and therefore can't shoot that turn anyways.

Also, making use of a Callidus assassin will stop one of the squads, and eventually destroy it.

Against destroyers sitting in the back shooting, just take a turn concentrating on shooting them, they'll die easily enough, and if you kill all of them in a turn, they won't get WBB.

In my opinion, normal destroyers don't do a lot of damage to a marine army. Sure, they can hurt your vehicles, but with BA thats not going to matter a whole lot anyways, since all my vehicles don't do much vs. 'crons anyways.

Heavy destroyers can do a bit more damage, but if you use the same 'concentrate fire on all of them' tactic I talked about earlier, they won't end up hurting you too bad either. I guess in the end its all about target priority and massed firepower.

Thats no moon, thats a... no wait... thats a moon.

Jesus saves... everyone else takes a wound.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-08, 12:04 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_67 View Post
Nail one of them with shooting and the unit probably wont run far as the WBB needs one of the same type of unit within 6. That should help pin em down for CC to move in.
This is not really an option at all. WBB is rolled at the start of the turn, before moving. If it makes the WBB then it is back up and the unit can move off. If it doesn't make the WBB then it is dead and the unit can still move off.

This tactic will not 'pin em down' at all.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-31-08, 11:11 PM

kungfoomasta's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_67 View Post
Ideally in any fight against necrons these guys should be your anti-tanks first port of call. A full unit of 5 normal destroyers can pump out 15 shots that deny marines their armour save. Against anything from normal marines to battlesuits and demon princes thats bad news. The math on vehicle glances isnt good either.
destroyer gauss cannon is ap 4 so there marines get their save. i gererally play against horde armies so they are of course i use lots of them. their movement makes it impossible to pin them down with one unit but if you make a pincer tactic they are forced to prioritize which is when you hope they make mistakes. jump troops deep strike and bikes are great for getting them and if you can infiltrate on necrons it gives the rest of your army a chance to move without being hit the first round

Never doubt the incompetence of your commisar.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-08, 05:00 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

COVER COVER and more COVER. As one of my instructors at armor school told me, A tank's best friend is the hills you put between it and the enemy. The adage is still true for infantry, if not more so. If the destroyers have no targets they are a points sink at 50 points each. My usual method of dealing with an opponent that can seriously out shoot me is to pick some heavy cover, try to place my forces in such a way that kill zones are no more than 10 inches, preferably with intervening terrain. After that I try to create overlapping fields of fire. When I do this, the necrons have to come and dig my death guard from the positions they occupy. The destroyers are neutralized without my devoting a single unit to the task.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-03-08, 10:57 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think that will be hard to do mortarion. Destroyers have a long range and are very mobile, so it won't take them long to move into advantagious firing possitions. If the Destroyers have no targets, as you suggest, then neither have you. Hiding does not deal with the threat posed by Destroyers, it only stalls your army and gives the Necron player the initiative. Did you know, for example, that it is possible for a squadron of 5 Destroyers to move 30" in a single turn and still fire their 15 S6 shots? They will be able to get an angle on the enemy, one way or another.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode