Why Defilers are bad - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 09:45 PM
Doomed One

SonofMalice's Flag is: USA

Oh they are fire magnets for sure! That's about how long mine last as well btw. I use 2 land raiders as dedicated transports so I at least have a few lascannons to strike back with. I use them for that reason, for fluff reasons, and it really is a massive attention draw. By the time they die I have my world eaters carving their way through the enemy. That said I don't like the cost for the (Lack) of utility. I really hope they update it, the potential for a good unit is there but just got botched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 09:59 PM
Banned
Sakura_ninja's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosspace2 View Post
The old saying "A bad workman always blames his tools" can be applied here,
Very true, very true indeed
post #33 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 10:04 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Sure a bad workman blames his tools. But only a retarded workman would bring a screwdriver to hammer in a nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory

post #34 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 10:18 PM

chaosspace2's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
Sure a bad workman blames his tools. But only a retarded workman would bring a screwdriver to hammer in a nail.
Still do-able though, if you hammer it in with the rubber/plastic end
post #35 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
And that is (currently) the role of defilers in my opinion, a tank shield, and they are pretty good at it. A giant walker with a cannon and horrible close combat weapons, ignored at your opponents peril. I am not trying to pick sides here, I am simply saying (as others have tried to) it has its role to play. The old saying "A bad workman always blames his tools" can be applied here, there is no such thing as a 'terrible model', they just need more thought as to how they can be used.
A 150pt shield is a damn costly bullet magnet. Why not use 35pt Rhinos? They don't slow the tanks down, unlike the 6" move of the Defiler, and you can buy a lot more of them - you can't bring down the shield with one Lascannon or Meltagun shot. They can also swap out positions in the formation with canny movement so you're always Obscured.

The Defiler, therefore, doesn't have a real role. Dreadnoughts do combat better, Obliterators do shooting better, Rhinos do screening better. So what does a Defiler do that something else doesn't do cheaper?

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #36 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 10:52 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Still do-able though, if you hammer it in with the rubber/plastic end
But why the fuck would you bring a screwdriver instead of a hammer? Why bring a defiler when oblits are there? It takes 1 shot potentially to kill a defiler, but 2 at minimum to kill 2 oblits

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #37 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
But why the fuck would you bring a screwdriver instead of a hammer? Why bring a defiler when oblits are there? It takes 1 shot potentially to kill a defiler, but 2 at minimum to kill 2 oblits
Precisely.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #38 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-06-12, 11:03 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

A Codex on the verge of 2 Editions old that wasn't even very good when released...why do you seriously expect there are viable Competitive applications of suboptimal units at all?

HINT: There aren't.
post #39 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-07-12, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrone forever View Post
no hes not wrong, he just dosnt play competitively with this army
Actually, I've been able to take them to the final round of Ard Boyz two years running but had no interest in traveling that far for $300.

If the entire game was something where you plunked down your list and decided who the winner was solely based upon the list, this type of discussion would be valid. Since the game is based upon a players ability and a myriad of other random factors, it is very hard to say that a marginally less viable option is a truly awful option.

I like mine, they accomplish what I need them to do. If only to take a few lascannon shots while the Zerkers close. They are a unit that may not do much if focused upon, but really must be dealt with. Which is pretty much my whole army, so it makes for some tough target priority choices. Which is what I call a good list.

Strange, but not a Stranger.

Last edited by DeathKlokk; 05-07-12 at 12:16 AM.
post #40 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-07-12, 12:14 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Actually, I've been able to take them to the final round of Ard Boyz two years running but had no interest in traveling that far for $300.
DeathKlokk, Ard Boyz was VERY far from actually being a Competitive event, as I'm sure you know?

I mean, the scenarios looked like they were written by a 6-year old...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode