Canoness? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Arcane's Flag is: USA

Default Canoness?

I've been mulling over an effective use and unit for the SoB White Dwarf Canoness and I just can't see any good reason to take her. With Repentias they waste her Act of Faith by still going at Init 1. With her Command Squad, they are better at using relentless and shooting heavy weapons, though are far far too expensive to choose over Retributors. With a Celestian squad she would be effective but they must use their faith just to be as good as Assault Marines, yet they don't even have CC Weapons; they fail as a CC unit. To add to it, none of these units come with a Similcrum Imperialis like Arch Confessor Kyramov does.

So is there any reason I would take a Canoness over Celestine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 01:34 AM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

To get a command squad with relentless rule?

To be honest I would take her if she had a jump pack and throw her with seraphim's but the white dwarf codex removed that option to.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 02:39 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

With the special characters, or even the generic Confessor there are better options that work better with the army than the Canoness which has disappointed me greatly since you think she'd mesh better with her army. Honestly if she was just a little more useful with the army or cheaper she'd be a better option, but she isn't so she stays in my army case.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

I used to gear my Canoness out with the +2 invul jump pack combo and she acted as a great road block against most armies. I was hoping I was missing something and there was a way to use her. Seems like they really dropped the ball with her on this one. A command squad with specials weapons, canoness and a rhino costs as much as a landraider :/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:51 AM

Skari's Flag is: Canada

Lol, arcane was my go to screen name for years! :D +rep just for the cool name.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 03:53 AM

Default BEST use for Cannoness

The only time I use her is in Apocalypse with The Repentant Host formation from White Dwarf #? She gives you the chance to build a just nasty CC force that has no comparison. With repentia and penitent machines losing rage rule for 50 points,hell yes. 1000 pts list i had was Jacobus Deathstar in Rhino, Canoness, 3 minimized repentia and 4 Penitent engines
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 06:55 PM

Yeah if any units in the army had even a I4 then her +1I might mean more. It is still another faith roll to even get that though.

Mostly just all the wargear added makes her overcosted. The command squad is too expensive also if you factor in the canoness.

Wife: "How much do you have invested in these ... miniatures?"

Me: "I don't think invested is the right word."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 10:12 PM

Dagmire's Flag is: United Kingdom

I see no reason why you would run her rather then the Saint...
shame as my cannoness is my best conversion by far

Please listen to my PODCAST

http://www.theoverlords.co.uk/podcast/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraknarn
This unholy amalgum of womanly sexiness with unfathomable macho should never have been created. Birth rates will plummit, the entire male population will be turned, women kind everywhere will cry desperately to ravished, but no man will heed the call except Dagmire himself. Perhaps this has been Dagmires plan all along. . . . . .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 02:17 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
To get a command squad with relentless rule?
This. I usually start them in an Immolator with her attached, and parked near one of the Retributor squads (4 rending Heavy Bolters rock). before the Immolator moves, roll for the bodyguards Relentless (Simulacrum for a reroll). Disembark the Canoness and have her join the Retributors so that they now get a +1 on their Faith roll. Now move the Immolator forward and have those three relenless Multimeltas light up whatever vehicle you need to get rid of. Counting movement and disembark, they are usually within the 12" magic range. Can be done a little cheaper using a shino as well, but I like having the Immo in their face as something else they have to deal with.

Don "MONDO"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-12, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Interesting Don Mondo, however the point cost for such a unit just seems to overshadow their use. I'm not saying you are wrong because your tactic certainty seems powerful, but a HQ suad costs around 210 points (including Canoness) with only 3 MM while a Retributor Squad is 105 for 4MM.

I would actually probably run one if I hadn't starting being so partial to two squads of DCAs and Confessors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode