Gauntlet of Fire: Better than it seems - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Default Gauntlet of Fire: Better than it seems

Alright, so, most people who read the codex and look at the profile for the Gauntlet and the Warscythe, and wonder why anyone would take the gauntlet over the warscythe, I will answer.

Now, the use it has is dependent on your enemy, but there are a lot of lists that the gauntlet of fire works much better against. These are primarily lists that are more horde-y. Guard spam, green tide, so on. You will get much more use from the gauntlet than you will the warscythe, and it is cheaper too.

Against MEq or lots of tanks, you want the warscythe because of its power weapon status and its +2 str wound resolution (Which effectively takes the model holding it to S7). However, there are two things to remember:

1: Gauntlet gets a flamer template, and its shooting attack is nothing to scoff at.

2: In CC, it rerolls to hit and to wound. You'll end up dealing a lot more wounds with the gauntlet against things like Orks which have WS4 and T4, but can still throw lots of models at you. You reroll two 4+ rolls, whereas with a warscythe you get un-rerollable 4+ and 2+.

SO with three attacks:

Gauntlet (vs 6+ ork boy armor):
1.5 pass. Reroll.
2.25 roll successes.
Of those, 1.125 pass. Reroll.
2.065 pass.
1.72 models killed.

Warscythe:
1.5 pass.
1.25 wounds.
1.25 models killed.

Plus you get that shooting attack with the template, and for lower cost.

Against things with better armor saves, you want the warscythe to deny armor saves. But against thinks like Boyz spam, gauntlet is definitely the way to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 01:04 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

50%+ of armies are MeQ or 4+ so no people aren't underestimating the gauntlets. Now if you play in some weird ass alternate dimension with primarily nid/orc as your primary opponents then they are a awesome wargear choice.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 01:17 AM

Sothot's Flag is: Canada

I play against Dark Eldar and he hates the gauntlet. I played it against Orks and they hated it. If i'm in assault (necron removal) range anyways, I'd rather try and cause a couple wounds in the shooting phase on Marines, because chances are I won't even get to swing my warscythe. It's a nice bonus for a relentless Infantry blob.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 01:49 AM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

The warscythe adds what necrons largely lack, which is a reliable way to deal with AV 13 and 14, in the form of a barge lord.

Necron lords in combat against anything that is not a less than or equal to a tac squad? You are doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Against swarm lists you:

1: Don't generally see much AV13+

2: Don't have a lot of choice about who to get in combats with

My point is, that it beats warscythes by miles against swarms. Also, against swarms, why are you taking bargelords? You need Annihilation Barges to deal with those.

post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 02:46 AM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

I don't take counter builds or tailored lists, i build a list that can deal with everything. 2 bargelords with scythes, 2x 4 crypteks with lances and a solar pulse each, 3x5 warriors in night scythes, 3 wraiths, 6 scarabs and 3 annihilation barges. The list deals with pretty much everything and is fast and mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-29-12, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

You don't even equip your army with options?

If you never change it up, you're not being effective. I'm not saying tailor lists. I'm saying if you play lots of nid and ork players, consider the gauntlet over the scythe.

post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-29-12, 10:50 AM
Creator of Chaos's Flag is: Australia

I've used the Guanlet before mostly on imotek and regular Necron Lords tho and I'm going to say dont under-estimate the Guanlet, Ok its not a power weapon like the scythe or AP3 like the Staff of light but its a good piece of kit that allows you to do well in both shooting and combat. Its the only Lord gear the crons have that allows them to move, Shoot and Charge all in a single turn with equal effect.

While its not on par with the warscythe its nothing to scoff at. Imotek burning assault marines as they apporach him before charging or Trazyns Lord body guard burning through nids to get to the objective. The Guanlet is highly effective in both scenrios and while you must definatly always include at-least 1 warscythe in your army throwing a Guanlet in there doesn't hurt either. Its cheap, its very good for what it does and for those who miss the old staff of light its a good fair replacement

Bringer of Truth, Slayer of the Incompetant
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-29-12, 11:36 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
You don't even equip your army with options?

If you never change it up, you're not being effective. I'm not saying tailor lists. I'm saying if you play lots of nid and ork players, consider the gauntlet over the scythe.
Sorry, no. If you change to Gauntlet for playing Nids/Orks and use Scythe for most other games, that IS tailoring.

Anyway, I'd actually hazard that you have MORE than enough anti-infantry anyway in the list, unless your army is dreadful, and so you'd be better employed using CCBs to fly over Tervigons, Hive Guard, Battlewagons, Nob Bikes etc... - things with armour that the Gauss can't effortlessly flay into atoms with ease anyway, or Tesla obliterate.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 03:42 AM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Only problem is that against Orks, there is always the possibility of a Pain-Boy being in the unit...which means that they now have FNP saves, which they are able to take since the Gauntlet is neither: A Power weapon, double toughness, AP 1 or 2. The Warscythe, hell, even the Hyper-Phase sword, guarantees a dead Ork on a wound.

Don't get me wrong. It's not terrible. I used it against guardsmen and they just got fried. But most of the time, an Overlord is in a CCB, where the Warscythe is best.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode