Versus Webway Portals - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-08, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Webway Portals

This week on versus we touch on the nefarious Dark Eldar and their nasty little Webway portals. This bit of wargear is expensive but allows you to stick a large blast template down and for the rest of the game, any unit that comes into play from reserve enters via the portal...it's like a fixed teleport homer, but it allows any unit in the army to come in through it from reserves.

Another interesting quirk is that if you have a portal in your list, models held in reserve *cannot* enter play until the portal is laid down, so if unit sbecome available before the portal is set down they remain in reserve instead of being deployed. This allows you a little control over your reserves as well.

It's an interesting piece of equipment that can alter the whole dynamic of the game. How do you cope with it?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-08, 08:39 AM
New

Several ways, I think.

1. Imperial Guard Specific, but I think a basilisk barrage on the IC in question holding it would put a damper on his parade; assuming, of course, that he was targetable for whatever reason.
2. 1st turn deepstrike attacks. Deep-striking a deathwing termie squad, some Tzneetchen flamers or whatever on it should at the very least give you a good shot./
3. If you're fast enough with a big enough thing, drive a honking big vehicle over it. Logic is they can't be within 1 inch of an enemy unit until assault phase. Therefore, you put a big vehicle over it, and for lack of deployment space they just die instead.

Just how I'd deal with it, my 2 cents.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-08, 03:45 PM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

I don't see much of a difference between reserve units from webway portals and from normal reserves. If you kill all the units on the board before the reserves get in...you win!
Kill the IC with the webway portal and they have to enter from the table edge. Dark Eldar are a pain in the arse, but can be beaten pretty handily if you target the right units.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-08, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Does killing the IC destroy the portal? Once it's placed he can move away from it and it stays put. I assumed it would just keep going without him.

And I've never heard of losing the game when you still have models in reserve just because none are on the board.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-08, 04:44 AM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

I am referring to the IC not deploying the webway portal yet. Killing him before he deploys it. I've generally found that if most of the DE field units are dead by the time reserves come in, you've probably won the game since your armies can concentrate fire.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-08, 10:48 AM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
I don't see much of a difference between reserve units from webway portals and from normal reserves. If you kill all the units on the board before the reserves get in...you win!
This isn't always the case.

My tournament Marine list often goes down to zero deployed units in escalation. The minimum 10 marines I field often die early.

The portal is difficult to take down. I usually deploy it first turn within my own deployment zone to give me a good 12" further up the table.

Taking it down for some armies is impossible. Indirect ordnance, infiltrators, fast units (skimmers etc) can pick it off with side snipes further up the table all have a chance but by and large it isn't guaranteed.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-08, 10:57 PM

Sniper's Flag is: Australia

Hmm DE die easily so i figure a devastator squad armed with hvy bolters and a Predator Destructor would turn the DE's nice shiny armour into swiss chese....... I like lots of chese

Sniper

Rambling since ...... hmmm now you see I cant remember but when i was a little ripper.......

Honour & Vengence: (finally has the forgotten finishing bit)https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=28272

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-08, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New View Post
Several ways, I think.
1. Imperial Guard Specific, but I think a basilisk barrage on the IC in question holding it would put a damper on his parade; assuming, of course, that he was targetable for whatever reason.
First off all, I ussually have 2 portals. 2nd of all, I give them sometimes to Sybarites in ordinary troopsquads, so you guess which one it is. Or I give it to Heamonculus, which you ussually don't take down quite that easily. 3rd of all, take into acount the cover on the table, the DE player having 1st turn and there will ALWAYS be a portal on the table (if you don't have some noob DE player as opponent)

Quote:
2. 1st turn deepstrike attacks. Deep-striking a deathwing termie squad, some Tzneetchen flamers or whatever on it should at the very least give you a good shot.
Yes, please... put some valueble units close by. I ussually get CC units out and once they come out they'll get into CC, so you basically won't have time to shoot...

Quote:
3. If you're fast enough with a big enough thing, drive a honking big vehicle over it. Logic is they can't be within 1 inch of an enemy unit until assault phase. Therefore, you put a big vehicle over it, and for lack of deployment space they just die instead.

Just how I'd deal with it, my 2 cents.
Rules specifically say that the portal is impassible terrain. So you can't drive a tank or anything on it. You could however try to surround it with a squad keeping 2" coherency. Then indeed the '1 inch of an enemy unit' aplies.

So as an experienced DE player who uses WWP all the time I'd say option 3 (with my modification) gives you the best shot at countering a WWP attack. Make the DE player think he's so smart and so fast and let him place the WWP as deep into your zone as possible. Once the portal is placed surround it with a squad jump infantry which you kept waiting (they move 12") and shoot/assault the 'portalplacers' with some support unit that was waiting too (perferably jumpinfantry too). I've noticed that if SM has more squads that move 12" you'll stand a better chance against DE. Else DE decides exactly what is going to happen with their mobility.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-08, 08:47 AM

Kronus's Flag is: England

This topic raises an interesting dilemma I came across a few weeks ago playing a good friend and using one. Does utilising one count DSing? The rules are ambiguous, so unsure we agreed it did simply because it was essentially a large autonomous teleport homer and scattering was mentioned in correlation to it. I asked because I was packing two shooty Inquisitor retinues with mystics and it all went wrong for my worthy opponent from there on.

If this is truely case (that’s how we play it at least) and your know your playing DE with imperials and they are fielding a WWP (the norm I find) then take a allied Inq retinue with 2 mystics, you wont regret it. Most people place WWP quite close to your deployment zone to get to cc easier so range isn't a problem. A mystic allows your retinue to shoot at any DSing units as they land and better still 2 allow u to appoint another unit to do same thing. Think overwatch and you will know what I mean. A shooty retinue has the following as rule, psycannon (archon killer), 2 Heavy Bolters and a Plasma Cannon (rerollable) as standard. Now imagine the horror unfold as a unit in the game jumped out of it. With 2 mystics a piece they each found themselves in range and nominated one another and each and every unit that entered play through it suffered 4 rerollable Plasma Cannon hits, 24 Heavy Bolter shots and 12 Pyscannon Shots. Needless to say that it quickly turned into a death trap and what was left he pragmatically brought onto table in the normal manner knowing I would simply send it to hell if it used the WWP. Thoughts? I found it to be a a very useful and effective countermeasure and ever since he has been very careful not to put his WWP within 24" of my Inquisitor retinues

On a more daemonic note this tactic works a charm vs the new daemons who will either have to DS some considerable away from ur lines if they hope not to be affected by it. And if they are ignorant of the fact so much the better as daemons usually i best to DS aggressively and will rue the day they did so

Last edited by Kronus; 05-27-08 at 08:52 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-08, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kronus View Post
This topic raises an interesting dilemma I came across a few weeks ago playing a good friend and using one. Does utilising one count DSing?
Have you even read my post right above yours?

Absolutely not! It is not Deep Striking. Using a WWP is like creating an alternative tableedge, that's how you should see it. Gave Thorpe explained it somewhere (forgive me... couldn't find the link anymore). The portal follows the Reserves rule in other aspects.

So your entire counter measure is based on the fact that you can shoot with those mystics. What if I told you that with a good DE player you won't be able to fire a single shot. They'll assault you the same turn they come from the portal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode