Tyranid tactics Vs necrons. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-26-11, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Orathis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tyranid tactics Vs necrons.

Hello. I am orathis. I posted on the welcome thread. Anyway, I joined mainly because me and my friend are going to be playing each other tomorrow at our local GW, and I need help. He is playing necrons, and I am a tyranid player. I want to ask how to use my 'nids effectively in order to get the upper hand. The game is 1000 points, most probably annihilation or seize ground. Maybe both if we have time, so I would like two army's and tactics based on what I have and what he has that I know he will defiantly have. So, lets get on with it then.

My army (any upgrades and/or different weapons are aloud.):

30 termagants
8 hormagaunts
28 genestealers
3 warriors
1 hive tyrant (I may not be allowed to use it as it's in ba shape)
1 carnifex (I'm open to any way of using it dakkafex or any other combination.)
2 zoanthropes
2 lictors (again may not be able to use as currently unassembled.)
3 rippers ( if I can find them)
1 mycettic spore ( home made, bad quality)
1 biovore

My friends army ( that he is practically guaranteed to take)
Necron lord with destroyer body + resi orb
A number of warriors.
Possibly a tomb spyder
A number of scarabs.

Please note he may take extra things, but will 99% take these

Any and all help will be very much apricated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-27-11, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Sorry to do this but (bump)

I am orathis. I go by Many names though. The odd one. Lonewalker. Herald of the swarm. Stranger. "human"... but only I know the true name.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-28-11, 05:22 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

Probably your best bet would be to try to close as quickly as possible, swamp him in close combat and force his squads to fall back, thus removing their RP counters.
To that end, I'd go 'stealer heavy, infiltrate them or outflank them to get close and charge in as soon as you can.

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-28-11, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for te advice. I already played him though. I lost due tue a lucky shot, but we're rematching soon.

My army choice went termagant heavy, using some borrowed models. Ended up with about 36. Swarmlord + 5 warriors & prime + broodlord & 10 genestealers + doom of malan'ti. It was a close game. Next time I'll go more stealer heavy, as my broodlord + genestealers went in turn one.

I am orathis. I go by Many names though. The odd one. Lonewalker. Herald of the swarm. Stranger. "human"... but only I know the true name.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 06:24 PM
Rattlehead

Swarmlord at 1000pts? You're a braver man than me.

I'd take one unit of 10 Termagants, use the Carnifex as a Tervigon, both Zoanthropes, and then fill the rest of the army with Genestealers which should outflank (Always reserve Genestealers).

Just my quick tuppence.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 07:07 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

Since you've played him, can you go into more detail about his list?
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah he went 3 squads of warriors and a lord w/ destroyer body+resiorb, and a lord w/ resi orb, and a wraith.

Basically my broodlord and genestealers got killed in te first turn, but his wraith went down in the first combat. (tried to take on warriors. Wounded one to 2 wounds.) swarmlord battled destroyer lord and killed it ( was helped by gaunt squad.) then killed a whole squad of warriors before being shot down by his all his remaining units, 16 unit gaunt squad died about turn 4 or five in combat with 2 squads of necron warriors and a lord, backed up by the warrior squad. The doom of malan'ti took afew out but was killed. In the ends I surrendered with a remaining instinctive gaunts (4). It was a solid strategy, but was foiled by the lucky shooting, be because the swarmlord would have killed the other squad if it got into combat, which would have been next turn. Anyway it was an enjoyable and close game.

post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 08:44 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orathis View Post
swarmlord battled destroyer lord and killed it ( was helped by gaunt squad.) then killed a whole squad of warriors before being shot down by his all his remaining units, 16 unit gaunt squad died about turn 4 or five in combat with 2 squads of necron warriors and a lord, backed up by the warrior squad. The doom of malan'ti took afew out but was killed. In the ends I surrendered with a remaining instinctive gaunts (4). It was a solid strategy, but was foiled by the lucky shooting, be because the swarmlord would have killed the other squad if it got into combat, which would have been next turn. Anyway it was an enjoyable and close game.
Did the Swarmlord really need help killing a Destroyer Lord? He makes his opponent WS 1 for the majority of the time, and with Str 6 and ID'ing weapons he usually minces anything he touches. Saying this, I would, more often than not, use Paroxysm to disable a Warrior Squad for a turn.

You probably should have swamped him more, leaving him less time to shoot - bury his Warriors under a tide of Gaunts, hence my suggestion of a Tervigon. 30 Gaunts? Annoying, potentially dangerous. 30 Gaunts with FC and Poison 4+ (And re-rolling Hits with Swarmlord)? Lethal.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 11-29-11 at 08:46 PM.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-30-11, 10:06 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Apart from the fact that the Destroyer Lord is too tough to be IDed by the SwarmLord.

I would generally try to lock Necrons in CC asap. They are not helpless in CC, but they are worse at it than shooting so that is your best chance.

Outflanking Genestealers is solid, depending on the enemy's choices regarding terrain manipulation.

A Hive Commander that lets you outflank the Warrior unit might also be useful instead of the SwarmLord.

If you go shooty then volume of fire will trump high-S shots vs Necrons.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-30-11, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Okay thanks for the advice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode