Tyranid tactics Vs necrons. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 05:51 PM

Erm no warriors would be in no way better, costing twice as much and can't infiltrate. I would be tempted to go with oddjob on this one, on account of him being right. He has written a really excellent series on playing Nids, you should read it as it's very good.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 07:24 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Warriors can outflank with a hive commander. They have more wounds. They are synaps. They can use drop pods.
They have the same attacks in CC as Stealers, but are just generally better against Necrons.

Looks like lots of you all came out from under the bridge tonight.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 09:13 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Thinking about the genestealers, I would be worried about them being shot to death before even getting into combat. A stalker will be a massive headache for genestealers, but any mech will give them headaches. AV 13 all around means they are as likely to hurt it as a stalker. A footslogger with phaeron will put out significant shots and whittle away the group. I would just avoid them and shoot them to death.

How do you plan to give them FNP? A tervigon?

Use of a tremor staff will have them rolling to move, and run. Reducing their effective threat range from average of 13-18 to 8-18. With averages of 15. Use of cover also drastically reduces the effectiveness of genestealers. A big group of necrons will probably kill most of a group that has taken at least one round of shooting.

I see things to get them on foot and stranglehorn cannons and biovores perhaps doinging some good.

post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 02:08 AM

Biovores and stranglethorn/barbed strangler don't exactly work well against warriors in cover. It won't kill enough quickly enough for it to matter if the Necron player has a lord w/ Resi orb and a ghost ark.

Then again, I may just suck at rolling. I have terrible luck against cover as Nids.
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azune View Post
Biovores and stranglethorn/barbed strangler don't exactly work well against warriors in cover. It won't kill enough quickly enough for it to matter if the Necron player has a lord w/ Resi orb and a ghost ark.

Then again, I may just suck at rolling. I have terrible luck against cover as Nids.
That's the thing. The right list won't worry about the cover. Necrons have limited range. So, you build lists around exploiting this. You have three possible win conditions. Two of which are objective.

Harpy with venom cannons and tyrannofex's to go for the vehicles at range. Biovores and warriors with stranglehorn to take potshots at range. Unless the Necron player is using Phaeron, he can't move and shoot worth a damn. So, let him sit in cover. Who cares. The goal isn't to kill, it is to win. Priority targets are doomsday barges. Once they are gone, heavy destroyers and any other range 36 weapons.

Punish the player for using cover. Exploit the weaknesses. Got scarabs, blast templates.

Got wraiths, shoot them with hive guard.

Hit the monolith with MCs.

Shoot the annihilation barge with range 48/36 anti-tank.

Every vehicle is open top.

Stay outside of the range and make him move.

Play the objectives.

In killpoints, take out the vehicles.

In objectives, camp them.

Nids have guns, use them.

With Grey Knights, Dark Eldar, Guard, and now Necrons, if we play the mindless beast, we get pawned.

Control the board and control the movement. It works.

Here is my current all comers, and it has been working.

HQ

Tervigon
TS
AG
Clusterspines
Onslaught

Hive Tyrant
Venom Cannon
Hive Guard

Elites

Hive Guard 3

Hive Guard 3

Zoanthropes 2

Troops

20 Termaguants
Devourers

14 Termagants

Tervigon
TS
AG
Clusterspines
Catalyst

Heavy

Tyrannofex
Rupture Cannon

Tyrannofex
Rupture Cannon

Biovores 3

This is about 2000pts.

The basic idea is don't play their game. They want you to charge. Currently, Nids are at a disadvantage if they do. When move through cover gives us assault grenades, then things will be different, but for now, we got to suck it up.

You have 4 48 inch shots that will do beautiful things to open-topped AV 13.

You have 3 48 inch large blast templates that cause pinning.

You have one 36 inch blast that can pop an AV 13 if you are lucky or instant kill destroyers, wraiths, scarabs, etc

Let them come to you. They move, they don't shot 24 inches.

At 24 inches, you have 12 st 8 shots that you don't need LOS for. Abuse that.

At 24 inches you have 2 AP3 blasts.

At 18 inches you have 2 large blast.

At 18 inches you have 60 shots that if the unit shot at has to take a leadership test, it does so at -1.

And you make your own cover.

post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 03:16 AM

The monolith, doom scythe and night scythe are not open topped. My biggest concern with your list would be the lack of anti-monolith.

Actually, scratch that on the anti monolith.... rupture cannons can do it on a 4+. so thats 4 shots at 48". Not sure on the math hammer but I imagine thats low odds with the BS 3. It'd be a 4+ to hit and then a 4+ to glance.

Last edited by Lord Azune; 12-10-11 at 03:27 AM.
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 03:29 AM

Hayden86's Flag is: USA

Quote:
The monolith, doom scythe and night scythe are not open topped. My biggest concern with your list would be the lack of anti-monolith.

I dont have a copy of the new Necron book( and i do not know the mono stats ) but i would think Tyrannofex X 2 Rupture Cannon would do more then dent a Mono ?

The seedpod that can cause a massive implosion.
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Not as big a concern as you think. Of the three, I would only really be concerned about the night scythe. The monolith is tough but slow. The doom has to kill 175 points and will probably die the turn after it shoots. Deployment will be important. A night scythe could bring some problematic units, but regardless, better than assaulting through cover.

post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 03:33 AM

I wouldnt use a tfex on a lith. I would avoid it and destroy the army around it. It i had to engage, I would use the Zoans with onslaught or an MC to kill it.

post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-10-11, 03:44 AM

Hrmm, I totally overlooked the Zoans. My appologies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode