Tyranid tactics Vs necrons. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-30-11, 11:49 AM
Pony Marine Master

Angelofdeath690's Flag is: Japan

I would give my advice but much of it was said already by others. One thing to consider and i know many don't worry about it that much is if you have trouble with outflanking and getting into cc (granted most times it doesn't happen) you can take a look at a venomthrope. They aren't that great but the cover save can provide mobile cover to your units from the heavy fire armies like the necrons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-01-11, 05:56 AM

I've only played 2 games against the new necron but it seems to me like the easiest way to deal with them is zoan's/Hive Guard for the vehicles and a crapton of devilgaunts for his troops. The necron I fought against soundly stomped me when I tried using genestealers, warriors, hormagaunts or termagaunts. His troops were always safely ensconed in some kinda cover so assaulting caused me to go at init 1, to where he smacked the crap out of my little crappy gaunts with everything.
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-01-11, 08:06 AM

Igniskhin's Flag is: USA

acid blood and toxic miasma (sp?) i've lost 5-8 warriors to those two things alone in a single combat... rolling against a necrons initiative is so cheap it actual makes me cry a little inside.

Last edited by Igniskhin; 12-01-11 at 08:08 AM. Reason: adding detail

post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-01-11, 08:38 AM

Igni, you've made my day, I plan on rematching the Necron again and giving him the bugs with your idea. Muahaha.

Though, my biggest problem against Necron is getting across the field with the units that can destroy him. Deepstriking isn't something Tyranids are especially good at... sure we have infiltration and a few other things but its mainly the assaulting into cover that always kills me against them.

Last edited by Lord Azune; 12-01-11 at 08:48 AM.
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-01-11, 12:00 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azune View Post
Igni, you've made my day, I plan on rematching the Necron again and giving him the bugs with your idea. Muahaha.

Though, my biggest problem against Necron is getting across the field with the units that can destroy him. Deepstriking isn't something Tyranids are especially good at... sure we have infiltration and a few other things but its mainly the assaulting into cover that always kills me against them.
Winged Warriors can DS, as can anything with a snotpod option. I like to DS Warriors usually, cutting off any retreating enemies.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-08-11, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
Apart from the fact that the Destroyer Lord is too tough to be IDed by the SwarmLord.
Swarmlord's attacks cause Instant Death
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
and then fill the rest of the army with Genestealers which should outflank (Always reserve Genestealers)
Slightly off topic, but I would very rarely outflank genestealers. Infiltration is almost always better.

In this particular case a large squad of FNP/cover infiltrating stealers is panic inducing for the necrons (my current necron list includes a Triarch Stalker to hold units like this up).

Last edited by OddJob; 12-09-11 at 01:23 PM.
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 01:36 PM

Stalker won't hold them up much. Stealers are a potent CC unit, but nothing special as far as Necrons are concerned. If you are I2 it doesn't really matter if your opponent is 2 or 4 points better than you.
Wraiths are possibly the best counter-CC unit the Necrons have, C'tan and Lychguard possibly the second and third but I have not decided in which order.

Quantity over quality is what is needed for the Tyranids to beat Necrons.

Praxis
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Stalker won't hold them up much.
Worst case scenario:

20 stealers on the charge-

60 x 2/3 x 1/6 x 1/3 = 2.2 glancing hits or ~ 1/3 destroyed stalkers, aka probably surviving the worst case scenario.

But if you let 20 stealers charge, you are an idiot so thin them out a bit before the combat to improve your odds (which are fairly good even in the worst case).

Quote:
Stealers are a potent CC unit, but nothing special as far as Necrons are concerned. If you are I2 it doesn't really matter if your opponent is 2 or 4 points better than you.
I'm not really sure what this means- a large stealer squad will butcher any infantry in the cron army. Cover and FNP seriously diminishes return casualties and they can infiltrate for a turn two charge. This isn't true of gants or the like.

Quote:
Wraiths are possibly the best counter-CC unit the Necrons have, C'tan and Lychguard possibly the second and third but I have not decided in which order.
All of which will fold like chocolate against stealers, except possibly for wraiths if you can tie up most of the squad with the walker.

Quote:
Quantity over quality is what is needed for the Tyranids to beat Necrons.
A meaningless platitude. Woop.

A bit less posting of mantra and a bit more thought (and experience?) is required methinks, especially since large stealer squads are something I expect to see in competative nid armies. They were definately in mine, and the thing they hated most were av13 walkers.

Last edited by OddJob; 12-09-11 at 02:36 PM.
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 04:51 PM

My point was that Stealers are not especially better than any other CC unit in the Tyranid codex vs Necrons. Tyranid Warriors with rending and Scything Talons are probably better than Stealers at killing Necrons. Toxin Hormagaunts are probably better than Stealers.

And please 'woop' your own bunkum. I play Necrons and Tyranids, which is perhaps more than you can say.

Praxis

Last edited by darklove; 12-09-11 at 04:53 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode