Tomb Blades - Anyone gonna use 'em? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

SoulGazer's Flag is: USA

Default Tomb Blades - Anyone gonna use 'em?

I will! I intend to see just what these things are capable of. The question I would like to ask is which combination of weapon loadouts you guys think will be most effective in dealing with a wide array of enemies.

Weapons: We can choose between Twin-linked Tesla Carbines, Twin-linked Gauss blasters, or Particle Beamers.

I know for things like mass infantry armies, the Beamers would do well. Massing small templates sounds painful. However, for MEQ's would it be better to mass the blasters or carbines? If they've got some Rhinos or maybe even a Land Raider backup, do you think some massed blaster fire could do some good glancing damage in one round of shooting?

Also, what roll do you think they should play? I was thinking of using them to rush in and assassinate an HQ or command squad, or maybe even trying to glance a Land Raider down early in the game.

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 05:36 PM

I really don't think they have a use in my army.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboytervigon View Post
I really don't think they have a use in my army.
Well that's.... Good to know. o.o

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 05:54 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

They are interesting, but they are already competing with a lot of really good things. They are kind of the crap choice of the four.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 06:04 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah, maybe... I think they would be an ok unit and a relentless unit of 5 TL-gauss blasters for 100pts is pretty sweet.
I would be a little concerned that a few AP4 shots from medium/heavy weaponry could destroy a whole unit with ease and deny WBB, but it might be worth the risk.

In all probability I won't use them: I've got an extensive necron army, I'm buying lots of the new vehicles and HQ and I don't think the tomb blades do anything particularly special. If I had them already I might run them as a change-up, but can't see the reason to spend a likely 40-50 on a unit of 5 when they're not massively different.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 07:14 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Maybe I do tend to collect every choice from a army eventually regardless of effectivness. My possessed and spawn can attest to that fact.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 08:14 PM

Sothot's Flag is: Canada

Eventually... There are a lot of other things further on my priority of buy/build/play before them. I also have a large collection and will probably grab a squad out of completionism than necessity.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 09:20 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Used to grab every unit/model in an army... but when my armies keep getting new books which radically alter the units, cut half and give many more it gets rather annoying.

Anyway, tomb blades remind me a lot of destroyers in the old rules.... and I got plenty of play with them, no rush to keep fighting that way when there are masses of new options.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 12:18 PM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Used to grab every unit/model in an army... but when my armies keep getting new books which radically alter the units, cut half and give many more it gets rather annoying.

Anyway, tomb blades remind me a lot of destroyers in the old rules.... and I got plenty of play with them, no rush to keep fighting that way when there are masses of new options.
On a similar note....I don't see many people using destroyers (outside of hvy) with the new book....are they just simply not worth it now?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravner298 View Post
On a similar note....I don't see many people using destroyers (outside of hvy) with the new book....are they just simply not worth it now?
They're 24" 2 shots now, same as most everything else that can kill MEQ's in the Newcrons. Only reason people take heavies is for the 36" range. Also they're jump infantry, so they don't get to move beyond 12". They got nerfed hard, sadly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode