Tomb Blades - Anyone gonna use 'em? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 03:54 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
The ability to tag a unit with what's essentially a twin-linked lascannon from 36" away (well outside of enemy melta range and protected by AV13) is quite good, especially considering that if the target survives the rest of the army has a far easier time hitting is well worth the points and Elite slot(s). I think a pair of Stalkers could be really, really good and quite synergistic with certain other units.
Wasn't looking at the Heavy Guass. Good point. Not a hundred percent sold, but I could see that working well with large foot slogging warriors with Overlord Phaerons. It would be nasty against hordes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 04:07 PM

Sothot's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulGazer View Post
If your Stalker tags something like a Dreadnought that DSed in front of it, it may not kill it. However, the 40 warriors right next to the Stalker have a good chance of glancing the thing to death with all them twin-linked gauss weapons that can rapid fire. That's gonna get really nasty really fast.
Agreed. Stalkers have an awesome synergy with your infantry. I see a couple of them making a Necron horde army an incredibly potent force.

EDIT- point made redundant by ninja's :p
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 04:34 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

To bad about the high cost vs relative survivability thought, but then again the best support units often have a jacked up cost anyways.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 05:20 PM

Igniskhin's Flag is: USA

I consider the tomb blades to be quick versions of immortals. with the vain (???) upgrade they get the 3+ so for... 13 points (i think) more you get an immortal with twin linked weapons and a faster movement speed, and relentless special rule. they just cant claim objectives.

you could upgrade them to hit more often, but the twin linked is allready there so to me its kinda "meh" inless your using the particle and want to reduce scatter.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igniskhin View Post
I consider the tomb blades to be quick versions of immortals. with the vain (???) upgrade they get the 3+ so for... 13 points (i think) more you get an immortal with twin linked weapons and a faster movement speed, and relentless special rule. they just cant claim objectives.

you could upgrade them to hit more often, but the twin linked is allready there so to me its kinda "meh" inless your using the particle and want to reduce scatter.
Been thinking about them more and I am starting to like them. They are jet bikes, they are twin-linked (tesla goodness), and they are pretty cheap. In the right army list, I think they could have a lot of potential.

I know this is a 180 on my previous opinion, but like I said, I took a closer look at them.

Not sure the vanes are worth it. They add 50% to cost and I see this unit as more of a distraction that hurts when it can rather than a hard hitting unit you need to have stay around.

Last edited by lokis222; 11-17-11 at 06:03 PM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 06:45 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

As always upgrade are the killer in this unit, and many a list has been whittled down to a counterproductive mess of 25 models after falling pray to over application of upgrades.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
As always upgrade are the killer in this unit, and many a list has been whittled down to a counterproductive mess of 25 models after falling pray to over application of upgrades.
Agreed, there is so much shiny stuff that it gets to the magpie in all of us. So many neat things, so few points.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-11, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
Not to derail this thread, but honestly, I am not a fan of the stalkers. The more I think about them, the less I like them. At their cost, you get an okay melta type gun/ heavy flamer, particle shredder, or a guass. You also get the ability to TW things you hit.
You also get an av13 walker for holding up difficult assault units such as infiltrating stealers or blood crushers. No single aspect is worth the 150pnt price tag but I can see them having niche roles in a TAC list, so I'm taking one for now.

Thinking about the twin linking ability got me to take five tomb blades with the particle do-hickeys. Did anyone ever play with the old dex tyranid warriors? Massed st6 templates can be utterly lethal, especially if twin linked. DSers don't like to see them, nor do scarabs (in the mirror match). 150pts for 5 sounds like a bargain to me- you can keep them cheap if you protect them with two turns of nightfight and a more pressing target priority.

That being said, this is mostly theory as I'm not getting many competative games in at the moment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode