Tomb Blades - Anyone gonna use 'em? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 03:33 PM

Sothot's Flag is: Canada

Ap3 shots now though, so they are definitely decent anti tac squads... Regardless, I am not rushing to field 15 of them anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 03:52 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yup, destroyers lost their 3 S6 shots for 2 S5 which means they lose out massively against vehicles and anyone who hasn't got a 3+ save. It takes them from an excellent all-rounder unit to an ok anti-MEQ unit. Not a bad choice, but they aren't the inst-take unit they used to be.
I think a lot of people are, like me, a little sick of using destroyers. I was playing a lot of games with my immortals and wraiths with the old dex just to have a change from destroyers... and now I have a whole new dex with loads of cool new units (and vehicles) to try out instead why would I take my destroyers?

To my thinking the anhihilation barge fills the role that destroyers used to: it averages about 5 S7 hits a turn plus its underslung cannon (1.3 gauss hits or 2 tesla) if you stay stationary (or want the AP from the gauss cannon). That meqans its putting out the firepower of about 3 of the old destroyers, for the price of about 2.

Having said that tomb blades could be used in a similar role, but I would be hesitant to choose a specific weapon for them: tesla gives you the numbers of shots to be useful, gauss give you lots of shots close in with AP to annoy anyone with less the 3+ armour but the particle beamer would give you a unit that can blast appart huge hoard units or just put moderate hurt on MEQ type units.... the beamers would attract me since they fill a role very little else in the book can manage, but then I would always miss the cheap TL fire the other weapons give you.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

SoulGazer's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
but then I would always miss the cheap TL fire the other weapons give you.
You could always tag units with the Triarch Stalker to make the beamers twin-linked if fired at the same targets.

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 06:30 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Aye, I think many people will take stalkers just for that reason: I want one with a particle shredder to smash an infantry uint and make all my warrior/immortal/ghost ark fire twin linked... "What's that Bob, you brought a unit of 30 orks..? Not anymore."

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Aye, I think many people will take stalkers just for that reason: I want one with a particle shredder to smash an infantry uint and make all my warrior/immortal/ghost ark fire twin linked... "What's that Bob, you brought a unit of 30 orks..? Not anymore."
Curse GW for their multiple model wave shenanigans! Must have every model now!

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 06:56 PM

Sothot's Flag is: Canada

Curses indeed! If the next wave has stalkers and scythes, I get the feeling a lot of people will be disappointed in me when i'm flat broke and giving out apologies for christmas :D
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 07:21 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Not to derail this thread, but honestly, I am not a fan of the stalkers. The more I think about them, the less I like them. At their cost, you get an okay melta type gun/ heavy flamer, particle shredder, or a guass. You also get the ability to TW things you hit.

I just don't see it being cost effective in the army from a competitive point of view.

From a modelling point of view, they look sweet, but I just don't see using them much.

For their cost, I can get almost 4 wraiths or some other better unit.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 02:57 PM

The tomb blades seem to be a tad under powered for the size of the unit. You would be hard pressed to use them without using another unit. Their best feature, I think, is that they are the only jetbikes in the codex (if my memory serves me correctly). Since all of the previous jetbikes have been downgraded to jump troops, this is one of the only things that give necrons the opportunity for a late game contested objective (the others being the planes/fast skimmers).

Also, the stalkers seemed ok until I noticed their lack of DCCW. Seems like a pretty strong disadvantage especially with their limited mobility and lack of deep strike capability.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 03:42 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
Not to derail this thread, but honestly, I am not a fan of the stalkers. The more I think about them, the less I like them. At their cost, you get an okay melta type gun/ heavy flamer, particle shredder, or a guass. You also get the ability to TW things you hit.

I just don't see it being cost effective in the army from a competitive point of view.

From a modelling point of view, they look sweet, but I just don't see using them much.

For their cost, I can get almost 4 wraiths or some other better unit.
The ability to tag a unit with what's essentially a twin-linked lascannon from 36" away (well outside of enemy melta range and protected by AV13) is quite good, especially considering that if the target survives the rest of the army has a far easier time hitting is well worth the points and Elite slot(s). I think a pair of Stalkers could be really, really good and quite synergistic with certain other units.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-11, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_freak View Post
Also, the stalkers seemed ok until I noticed their lack of DCCW. Seems like a pretty strong disadvantage especially with their limited mobility and lack of deep strike capability.
If your Stalker tags something like a Dreadnought that DSed in front of it, it may not kill it. However, the 40 warriors right next to the Stalker have a good chance of glancing the thing to death with all them twin-linked gauss weapons that can rapid fire. That's gonna get really nasty really fast.

Last edited by SoulGazer; 11-17-11 at 03:58 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode