Triarch Praetorian viability(Also Lychguard rock) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

SoulGazer's Flag is: USA

Default Triarch Praetorian viability(Also Lychguard rock)

Ok, so I've played a 2000 pt. game so far with the new Crons and I've got a comment and a question.

Firstly, Lychguard(Lolguard) with shields are excellent! First enemy shot of the game saw a reflected lascannon shot wreck an enemy Hellhound that was much too close. After that a squad of infantry and a unit of mortars(Ghostwalk mantle ftw!) were killed simply by reflected shots. This ability is amazing and incredibly useful. I'd recommend keeping a Rez Orb with these guys at all times, they're just that valuable.

Now for the question: I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Triarch Praetorians for anything that doesn't involve getting them all killed! Their I2 just kills it. Even if they get into combat they're gonna attack last, and those Voidblades aren't gonna get many chances to hit. The only thing I can think of is to have some Wraiths trail them at all times. Their whips will reduce enemy I to 1, then the Praetorians will get in some good hits. But is it worth taking Wraiths just to babysit them? These things are really cool looking and I'd love to take them, but so far they seem like more of a liability with low I, one attack, and no Invul save.

What do you guys think?

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 04:25 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Lychguard are very useful alright, i managed to eliminate 15 grey hunters before losing a model. Reflected 3 long fang missiles which popped a dread that was moving in for the charge.

Triarch praetorians fail horribly. they got wasted by a unit of long fangs in close combat. With one attack each at I2, they suck beyond belief. Shame, because the models are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 04:50 PM
Rattlehead

So Praetorians are the new Pariahs?

What's the Lychguard reflect ability, a 4+ you-fire-opponents-weapon thing, or an all-shots-hit-random-nearby-unit kind of power? Whatever it is, it sounds mean, but how do they do in an assault? If they're I2, T5, 1 Attack models (Which is what I'm guessing) they don't sound too scary - a bummer to kill, and a nightmare to remove with shooting, but suffering from the same fault as the old Monoltih - damn hard to kill, but apart from that there's little else to the unit.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 05:46 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Lychguard have 2 attacks base. The shields allow them to reflect fire from passed invul saves at units within 6", making them quite useful as one of those "think twice before firing 15 missiles at them" units. They are MEQ killers, its what they do best, because they can weather attacks from regular sm or assault squads if the lychies get the charge, then dish out the pain by hitting on 4s wounding on 3s with no armour allowed. They are a good unit for taking out tactical squads, devastators and any unit that isnt dedicated CC. Counter assault/ taking down poor assault units is what they are useful for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 07:20 PM

this is copypasted from another thread i was talking about praetorians

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0rdicNinja
The feeling I get from them is they're intended to be a charge unit, as in they need the charge to be worth their points. They basically get an "Always Strike First" S5 attack on the way in that will always hit on a 3 and ignore armor. Then they charge in and the ones that survive (T5 3+ will certainly help) get 2 S5 power weapon attacks back. Like you they're still low on my list of must haves, but I can see their usefulness.

answer:
so if they charge they have 3 str5 power weapons attacks, 1 at I10 (and could potentially stop them from chargeing if the opponent removes the nearest models, oh and it could give cover saves) and 2 at I2, they have T5 and 3+ armour... lets have them charge a tactical squad with a powerfist without cover, they score 2 dead from firing, they take half a dead from the regular marines, lets say 0 deads, then they kill 3 more at I2 and suffer 1 wound from the PF, they win by 2, and we have 4 praetorians fighting 5 marines, then each subsequent combat round each side inflict 1 wound on the other tieing the combat for 3/4 round till the Power fist sarge or 1 Praetorian stand alone.

so your 200points melee ASSAULT unit cant beat in assault a 200pt tactical unit who can shoot the hell out of them anytime and could wipe them out if they get the charge...no definitely i cant see the usefulness your talking about sorry

oh and the calculation favour the praetorians in both rounding up/down and scenery (no shooting from the marines, no terrains)

edit: I forgot the praetorians have reanimation protocols so out of 5 deads over 3 rounds of combat they regenerate 2, lets say they kill the tactical in 3 rounds with 2 survivors (kinda unlikely but hey, i desperately want to make them look good!) they won a 200 vs 200 pts against a tactical squad, and we all know how tacticals arent exactly the best troop choice of WH40k, also if we give the tactical (with 1 melta and 1 ML for the 200points) 1 round of shooting they kill 3 praetorians (2 after ''WBB'') and win combat easily....oh well i cant make them look good after all :S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 07:33 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

[email protected] the point of them that i see is that they will skrew up your plans as they march forward implacibaly, absorbing most firepower and reflecing it back in some cases.

i think that your combat calculation is a bit off....mainly the marines should get to shoot because it would kill some of their own, now take in the melta and multimelta, ......

also you would only put them with a lord/cryptek with a res orb, so 1/2 get back up

its looking better now isnt it

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 07:50 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I want to take a unit of praetorians with casters and void blades... but I think of them more as anti-tank that can take on lesser-combat units if I want them to. T5 3+ should save them from most things... but they can't take o anything too nasty. I certainly wouldn't use them with rods of covenant... assault units with 1A basic is just too rubbish in my view (at least with void blades you have 2 basic).

Mostly I see them competing for space with my wraiths.. which have the leg up of me already having a whole load of them. Don't know what I'll take... but I do love entropic strike..

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 11-07-11 at 07:53 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrone forever View Post
[email protected] the point of them that i see is that they will skrew up your plans as they march forward implacibaly, absorbing most firepower and reflecing it back in some cases.

i think that your combat calculation is a bit off....mainly the marines should get to shoot because it would kill some of their own, now take in the melta and multimelta, ......

also you would only put them with a lord/cryptek with a res orb, so 1/2 get back up

its looking better now isnt it
you are talking about the lychguard with dispersion shield (2 base str5 power attacks and 2+/4++) and you are right

i am talking about the praetorians with rods of covenants (1 base attack + 1str 5 ap1 6'' range shot + 3+ armour) and they suck :D

the lychguard with the lord is a good unit imho, the praetorians with a destroyer lord (they are jump infantry) it's an overcosted and fragile non-threat
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 08:30 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

sorry, epic fail on my behalf

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 08:39 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Lychguard with shields are easy to counter. Simply DON'T use low AP weapons when your own units are within 6 inches. Then they have to use the armour save (or risk having a worse save just to get the chance to deflect the odd bullet).

As for Praetorians I aim to use their speed as a rapid response unit (I plan to have a teleporting Lord thanks to Veil of Darkness) for when the Lord might get into trouble.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode