Versus Lash of Submission - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-09-08, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Lash of Submission

This one's been in the wings for a while. Lash of Submission is probably the most hated power in the chaos arsenal, and probably in the whole game. A successful psychic test and suddenly one of your units within range of the caster is moving under the enemy's control, no doubt being dragged into assault range of a daemon prince, or towed through dangerous terrain, or moved to disrupt shots. What's worse, there's a pinning check after.

It's annoying as hell, and comes from an LD10 source, so even the usual anti-psychic routine doesn't always work.

About the best platform for the Lash is from a winged DP, rather than a Sorcerer, since the prince is much more dangerous in assault, so you;ve got a durable, hard to kill platform to worry about as well

So, *besides* psychic hoods, eldar runes and the like, how do you deal with the Lash?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-09-08, 02:28 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Generally speaking, nobody around here touches Lash of Submission, because enough of us are utterly nuts enough to have sharp objects in the trunk of our cars. :p But more seriously, it's just dumb, so we don't mess with it. If somebody does bring it, it's an out-of-towner at a tournament and we just bitch about him later and laugh about him not getting any of the prizes since we weigh sportsmanship and painting as high as winning games.

HOWEVER, that's not really what you asked, now is it?

If push came to shove, and I had to deal with Lash of Submission on a regular basis, I'd just make it a point to have something that can whomp a daemon prince in every squad-- usually, that means a power fist. As a matter of habit, I do that anyway, but even an assault-happy monster is going to get seriously mauled by Sergeant Anonymous' power fist. Sure, you'll lose five or six Marines before you bring the prince down, but whatever-- you're still probably on the better end of that deal.

Another alternative is to get creative with your transport vehicles. I use 'em to block heavy weapons squads' line of sight once they're empty, since even if they blow the thing up, it's still blocking line of sight, and if they don't bother blowing it up and instead try to move around it, you can just park the vehicle in front of them again until they do bother blowing it up. Just do the same thing to whoever's casting Lash. It requires line of sight, after all. If the only thing the caster can see is an empty transport vehicle (or two, since sometimes it takes two to completely block useful LOS for a big model like a daemon prince) then that Lash isn't terribly exciting.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-09-08, 03:26 PM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

Since demon princes are not nearly as nasty as the greater daemon of eldar (Wraithlord for those who aren't in on the joke) lash is fairly easy to use. one thing to remember, only slanesh demon princes can use it. that means no bonus to invulnerable save, no extra toughness, no extra attack. autocannon fire, especially from a dread or termies will make that lash a thing of the past. If the power isin the hands of a sorcerer of slannesh, all the better, combine autocannon fire with any plasma gun fire to ensure elimination.

Of course, you could take the death guard approach, and ignore the annoyance that having one squad per turn repositioned since there are enough that one squad being messed with won't seriously disrupt your plans.

Personally I don't see the cause for all of the whining, the power isn't all that powerful.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-09-08, 04:26 PM
ugh

Avatar fits the description of "greater demon of Eldar" better then WL me thinks...

All I can think of game wise is get first turn and pie plate the unit with lash to death.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-08, 12:00 AM

With my Kult of Speed I send 3 units after the Lash. Since it is difficult to target ICs, getting in hand to hand seems to work. Lash sends one unit back, then the other 2 units move foward.

My basic ork army has 5 or 6 units of troops (Truckboyzs), one unit of Stormboyz, Warboss on a bike, and Snitrot. Sending enough units to kill the Lash is hard but not too hard. Note: every unit in my army that can have a Klaw has a Klaw.

I played in 1500pt tourney that my opponent had two Lashes and two Defilers. I won.

With a shooty army, I would try to kill everything around the Lash, then kill it when I am allowed to target it. Not the best solution.

GW should have limited the Lash to one or prevent the Lash from changing the spacing of the models in the unit. But they didn't
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-08, 06:16 PM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

I find powers like lash to be a challenge. I see no reason to complain, as the use of lash is not automatic, and the attempt can backfire. My philosophy is to not complain about bad rues, but to take it as an opportunity to improve my game.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-10-08, 07:56 PM

Steel Nathan's Flag is: Canada

Well i got to agree, the Lash of Submission is a VERY annoying power. Nothing worse then having your opponet line up your best models in the killzone and the others not

honestly to space Marine players, if you know that your oppoentent is going to bring in one of these, make sure you bring in a librarian.

Honestly the only way your going to avoid him is to shoot him with your heavy weapons. That's really it.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-08, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of mortarion View Post
I find powers like lash to be a challenge. I see no reason to complain, as the use of lash is not automatic, and the attempt can backfire. My philosophy is to not complain about bad rues, but to take it as an opportunity to improve my game.
We're not really here to discuss how we feel about the way it was written we;re here to discuss ways to counter it or minimize its effect.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Nothing? No other tactics to deal with the lash?

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 07:04 PM

Most people really don't have a way to deal with it other than complain. Or normal anti-psychic stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode