Army Composition Question (Grey Knights/Space Marines) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-11, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Archermonkey's Flag is: Australia

Army Composition Question (Grey Knights/Space Marines)

Hi all. This is probably a really dumb question. Like... really dumb. But as I'm only just getting back into the hobby, and I don't have all the books I need yet, I figured asking you nice folks is the best way to find out the answer...

I am wanting to build a Grey Knights army (modelled as pre Heresy Thousand Sons). I don't yet have the book, but I've seen enough threads around about the idea that I've been sold on it. That being said, I'd really love to take Tigerius in the army for a Thousand Sons list - his use of psychic powers for tactics and immense versatility suits the Thousand Sons perfectly, IMO. Is there any way to do this? Or is it impossible to get units crossing over between lists like that? Alternately, do the Grey Knights have any characters or HQ options that are at all comparable to the psychic awesome that is Tigerius?

Click me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-11, 08:05 AM

Well basically with you opponents permission you can do anything you like but there are no rules for crossing codexs like that. But if I were you I would just take a Grey Knight Libby like this

Librarian
- Mastery Level 3
- Nemesis Force Sword
- Hammerhand
- Might of Titan
- Quicksilver
- Sanctuary
- The Shrouding
- The Summoning
- Vortex of Doom
- Warp Rift

for 235pts.

That gets you the most versatile Psyker in the game basically, 3 Powers a turn Shrouding and Sanctuary for defence, Warp Rift and Vortex for some ranged damage, Hammerhand, Might of Titan and Quicksilver for Close Combat. The only problem is he only has 2 Wounds.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-11, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Aramoro. I used to play under 2nd edition mostly, but a little bit into 3rd edition, so I still have a pretty clear memory of the old rules for allied forces. It's a little disappointing to hear that the current edition doesn't have anything like that, but it's what I expected, really.

That aside, I have to admit that your write-up of a GK Librarian looks pretty damn appealing. It's a shame about the two wounds, though. It'd make for something of a glass canon.

Any other advice you might offer a pseudo-newbie (or rather a terribly out-of-date oldbie) like myself in this particular counts-as endeavour?

Click me!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-11, 12:09 PM

Just play games, doesn't really matter what anyone says on internet there's no substitute for playing games. Certain units and tactics will fit your play style, find what they are and go for it.

I would think things like Purifiers (setup for Range), Strike Squads and Interceptor Squads would all fit your theme quiet nicely.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-11, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. And it's definitely true that no advice can match up with experience! Sounds like an interesting head-start there, though. I think I'll mosey on over to the Grey Knights Tactica pages and see what they have to say on the matter, too...

Click me!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode