How in the world do invulnerable saves work? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Default How in the world do invulnerable saves work?

Hey there, I'm new to this game and have a question regarding a thing explained rather vague in the rulebook IMO; Invulnerable saves.

Do they work as an additional armor save? Are they optionally used instead of armor saves? I can't wrap my head around it.
Could someone please explain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:36 PM

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

with saves you either get a armour save or invunrable save, so if a weapon allows a aomour save you just get that but some weapons can ignore your armour, this is when a invunrable save comes into play( you dont get to make a armour save and a invunrable save)

most armour saves are better than invunrable saves so if your allowed a armour save you would always take that
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:40 PM

arlins's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozmaster View Post
Hey there, I'm new to this game and have a question regarding a thing explained rather vague in the rulebook IMO; Invulnerable saves.

Do they work as an additional armor save? Are they optionally used instead of armor saves? I can't wrap my head around it.
Could someone please explain?
take a space marine terminator , he has a 2+ armour save OR a 5+ invunarable save .
If you shot him with a bolt pistol he would use his armour save as a bolt pistol is only AP 5 and his armour save is better .
If you shot him with a AP1 melta which would ignore his armour save , then you would use his invunarable save .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-11, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Ah, thank you so much guys! This explains a whole lot. This has been bugging me for a long time.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-18, 02:49 AM

Default Umm

So im also new, and I noticed that Canoptek Wraiths have a 4+ save. They also have the ability Wraith Form, which gives them a 3+ invulnerable save. Is there no point in using the regular save?

I know this is years late but idk i need answers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-18, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihateyou7777 View Post
I know this is years late but idk i need answers
Well as long as its relevant its not much of a problem (though in this case you do know how invulnerable saves work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihateyou7777 View Post
So im also new, and I noticed that Canoptek Wraiths have a 4+ save. They also have the ability Wraith Form, which gives them a 3+ invulnerable save. Is there no point in using the regular save?
It has been a few editions since the OP posted this query. In that time there have been additions, like psychic powers such as null zone which negate invulnerable saves. So while wraiths do have a better invulnerable save than armour save, there do exist weapons, powers, and abilities which would prevent wraiths from using their invulnerable save.

So most of the time, no there is no point to not use a canoptek wraiths invulnerable save; except in the cases where they cannot take them.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode