Do you have to ask your opponents permission for IA - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

zas240's Flag is: Wales

Default Do you have to ask your opponents permission for IA

Say if your using something from one of the IA books, say for example Chaplain Titus from IA 9 would you need your opponents permission?

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
They are going to be called in to righteously kick the shit out of deamons and heretics before fucking off back to Titan for tea and crumpets, leaving the chaos gods thinking "I fucking hate those guys"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 10:08 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Of course.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 10:33 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Irregardless of what FW have printed in the IA Books about the fact that their rules are perfectly acceptable in standard 40K games, in pick-up games against strangers, to save yourself any dramas then yes it's a good idea to ask.

I use IA models and rules a lot, but then again so do all my opponents, so 'drama' is nonexistent.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 10:44 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

In local games occasionally its been agreed ahead of time that we can use 1 IA model each... but since I dont own any this has never mattered to me. Having said that if the opponent then came along with a titan I would have an issue with it.

Anything that fits the basic 40k rules probably requires a quick check with most opponents... but dont try to take things with extra Apoc rules (although using a gargantuan creature against dark eldar is very inviting- all those poisonous weapons wound on a 6+ now )

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 10:54 PM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Having said that if the opponent then came along with a titan I would have an issue with it.
Yea arseholes like that give people who use IA responsibly a bad name...thankfully noone I know is idiotic/arrogant enough to try something like that.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-11, 09:10 AM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

me, i dont mind if someone use's IA rules and lists, but unless its an apoc game they cant use superheavys or titans, unless its a pre-arranged game with a high point value (i.e 2500+), and as it surgests in the IA books that SH and titans should only be used in large games of 40K or apoc games.
Also they MUST have the rules on them, otherwise its a normal unit.
ive seen a couple of guys turn up with IA models and list, but no rules, and then try and pull a fast one with em.
So if you turn up with a IA DKoK army and want to use em as DKoK make sure you have there rules on you

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-11, 02:06 PM
Painter in training

Drannith's Flag is: USA

I don't have a problem with IA models or rules unless you either A) Don't have the templates for the model's attacks (if doing Apoc games) and/or B) The models/rules make it completely one sided in the match. Other than that its good to go for me.

Can re-roll re-rolls
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-11, 02:34 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

I would have assumed that most people should be fine, since IA is almost like a codex, with the rules for those units in them. However, there are some people who might think it's an uber unit and won't let you take it. I for one, would love to play a unit from IA, and I'm sure my opponents at my flgs would let me, proviided I have the datasheet on me.

Last edited by Marneus Calgar; 01-03-11 at 03:04 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-11, 02:37 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Officially, yes, you have to have opponent's permission for IA, as they are not "Official" 40k rules, but an add on. Just as you would need to if you wanted to Spearhead, or Planetstrike, or any change to the base rules. Will most folk give it easily? Yes. Usually it's not an issue. But it's always best to ask, and clear all your choices with your opponent beforehand. He may not know what the IA pieces are or do, that's generally the only issue I've had.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-11, 02:48 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Of course you need permission. Especially where using units from older and OOP IA books...most people don't buy them, and thus have no way of learning their rules (legally) and with them not being Tourny legal, probably little interest either. I know I don't.

If someone turned up at a pre-arranged game but had not asked permission to use IA I would consider that very rude indeed, not least as it denies me the opportunity to do my homework and to get an equivalent.

As for the 'stupidly think they are overpowered' comments...some of them ARE. Multi-Melta Razorbacks? Autocannon Chimeras? There is a REASON these are not Codex-legal...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode