Feel no pain in the backside - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Default Feel no pain in the backside

My friends and I have recently been in conversation about the application of the feel no pain rule. Our mate Nurgle Nige, uses a renegades and heretics army from IMP7? and loves nothing more than using huge blocks of zombies to block up the battlefield with their 6+ save and FNP. This led to us looking at the rules wording and needing to make decisions about how it works.

Line three in the FNP entry states 'if a model suffers an unsaved wound, roll a dice...' Now we have taken to look at this in the following way; in order to receive a feel no pain save, the model needs to have taken and failed a saving throw in order to suffer an 'unsaved wound' (it doesn't use the term unsavable so instant wounds cannot have FNP applied to them).

We are now applying this concept in our games. Wounds caused by a weapon that disallows saves for any acceptable reason including having an AP equal or higher than the wound takers armour or disallowing cover save i.e. flamers will not grant the zombies feel no pain. We are still applying the usual FNP disallowed rules fro AP1, AP2, rending, power weapons and other nasty weapon injuries as these seemed to make sense and help against tougher opponents like plague marines.

We are now happy to see zombies in the open getting ripped apart by any weapon that has an AP of 6 or better by troops or otherwise who know how to fire a gun (as would seem fitting bearing in mind they have no real armour to protect them) and we are equally happy to see the zombies receive the feel no pain if they are in cover but failed that save - they suffered an unsaved wound after all (as long as the wounds were not being inflicted by cover save negators and so on).

So wargammers what say ye? Are we now misinterpreting? I would be more that happy to be told I am wrong and so would Nurgle Nige : )

Much obliged

Angry Anf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 05:37 PM

a unsaved wound means a wound that has not been saved so unless your guns are ap2 your out of luck.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 05:39 PM

In your situation Zombies in the open would still get FnP from an AP 6 weapon. If a model is wounded and cannot take any save that would still be considered an unsaved wound.

Looking at Instant Death you can see it says:
Quote:
If a model suffers an unsaved wound from an attack that has a Strength value of double its Toughness...
This also uses the nomenclature of "unsaved". Just because a T4/Sv3+ model doesn't get an armor save from a krak missile doesn't mean that they won't suffer the effects of instant death.

Hope that helps clear things up.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 05:45 PM

Uilleam's Flag is: Canada

Basically if it's an AP 1, AP 2, Rending, Power Weapon, dangerous terrain, or double the models toughness then there can be no FNP roll because they are wounds against which no armour save may be made or cause instant death. Otherwise his Nurgle boys are gonna do what they do best. Shrug off a ton of damage and lay down their own

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

So we should be viewing the term 'unsaved wound' as a wound of any kind be it one that allowed an armour save or not. I will report these findings back to the group but other opinions are always welcome particularly if they contradict the above;)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anf2004 View Post
So we should be viewing the term 'unsaved wound' as a wound of any kind be it one that allowed an armour save or not. I will report these findings back to the group but other opinions are always welcome particularly if they contradict the above;)
it's not a matter of opinion, thats how the rule works.

On a side note IA rules tend not to be very balanced which is why they are not allowed in almost any tournament, at least in any competitive tournament.

Last edited by OpTi; 11-14-10 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-10, 09:39 PM
Wax

Wax's Flag is: USA

As long as your group understands that they are playing with a house rule, it's fine for them to play that way. The Nurgle guy just may want to understand that the actual rules favor him.

The best way of thinking about FNP is a model will always get the FNP roll unless the would is from an AP1 or 2 weapon, a power weapon (or anything that allows no saves ever (dangerous terrain etc.)) or the STR of the attack is double the toughness of the model. As a BA player I love taking my FNP rolls against TSons AP3 bolters and IG Hellguns.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-10, 12:32 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

FNP is only negated by attacks which never allow an Armour save under any circumstances, meaning AP1/2, or states that they ignore Armour (like a power weapon); and also from attacks whose Strength is double or more the targets Toughness.
As said, this isn't an opinion, that's exactly how it works.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-10, 12:46 AM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

I thought FnP was also negated by things which ignore the affected models armour? So even if was Ap3, and the targeted model had a 3+ save, no FnP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-10, 12:57 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
I thought FnP was also negated by things which ignore the affected models armour? So even if was Ap3, and the targeted model had a 3+ save, no FnP?
No.
If you don't HAVE a save, the wound is still an unsaved wound, because none of the saves you have were able to save against it.
Unsaved =/= failed a save, it means no save succeeded.
If you have no save, then all saved fail to succeed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode