Abaddon's Daemon Weapon - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Abaddon's Daemon Weapon

Hey everyone.

I was looking at the rules for Abaddon's Daemon Weapon. On page 46 of the Chaos Codex, under Daemon Sword Drach'nyen and Talon of Horus it states that 'Abaddon counts as being equipped with a Daemon Weapon that doubles his strength to 8 instead of the normal +1', and so what that means is that Abaddon's Daemon Weapon has the same profile as the undivided Daemon Weapon, except that his gives him +4 instead of +1 strength.

However it also adds at the bottom that Abaddon gets '+D6 attacks from his Daemon Weapon'. Now we have already seen that whilst keeping the basic profile of the undivded DW it gives Abaddon extra strength, I would also argue that this part of the rule also cancels out the roll of 1 rule which states 'that the Daemon Weapon rebels - the model may not make any attacks' as its specifically says +D6 and a roll of 1 therefore would add 1 attack onto his base 4.

So what do you all think? I believe that in all seriousness a 275pt model should never have to forgo any attacks in CC and thats why that amendment was added to Abaddon's profile, otherwise why mention he gets +D6 attacks if he is just using the undivided DW profile with the exception of only extra strength.

Do you agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

No, I do not.

It doesn't say it's an Undivided weapon bonus. ALL Daemon Weapons get +d6 attacks and a 1 is bad.

Fuck, rolling a 1 is the only hope an opponent of AbbaI'mgonnabeatyourassadon has.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #3 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 01:34 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Fuck, rolling a 1 is the only hope an opponent of AbbaI'mgonnabeatyourassadon has.
Other than, you know, walking away from him.

post #4 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterous View Post
Other than, you know, walking away from him.
Well said. Why does a Swarmlord have the ability to insta kill anyone or make you re-roll passed Inv saves in CC along with being able to make any model WS1 for two player turns? Because your not supposed to go near the damn thing lol.

Why does it specifically say that Abaddon gets +D6 attacks? That indicates that even a roll of one is an extra attack for him. It nowhere mentions that Abaddon is punished for a roll of 1 on his D6 extra attacks. Otherwise if he was supposed to just use the regular profile for and rules for a daemon weapon why not say so as is the case with Typhus.

Plus although its not going to be official or have to much of a bearing on this edition of the rules, but Abaddon's daemon weapon never rebelled in the old codex, meaning their is a precident for such a ruling.
post #5 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 02:38 PM

5th ed codices, they are giving more special abilities wait till chaos gets a 5th (maby abby will finally have a special rule that benefits the army)
post #6 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 04:24 PM

jaws900's Flag is: England

He hurts him self on a 1. Ya nuff said. The onyl le way is that his daemon weapon gets +D6 attacks notop of his daemon weapon attacks, effectivly makign it 2D6 which will only hurt him on a 1 for 1 of the dice but that would be insane a defninatly not what they ment. (that and you will lsoe alot of friends if you try to bite into that probbaly illegal cheese)

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

People i have turned into Chaos Spawn
Marneus Calgar
Pedro Kantor
Terminator Chaplin
Terminator Apothecary
post #7 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws900 View Post
He hurts him self on a 1. Ya nuff said. The onyl le way is that his daemon weapon gets +D6 attacks notop of his daemon weapon attacks, effectivly makign it 2D6 which will only hurt him on a 1 for 1 of the dice but that would be insane a defninatly not what they ment. (that and you will lsoe alot of friends if you try to bite into that probbaly illegal cheese)
Lol, I'm not a grammer Nazis, but holy crap that is difficult to read.

He hurts himself on a 1 ... enough said (not really as you haven't shown why that is the case)

He in no way gets two D6 for his weapon, I never said that he did and nor believe that he should.

Again to reiterate the point. It explicitly states that he gets D6 attacks, at no point does it say he gets none on a role of 1.
post #8 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Again to reiterate the point. It explicitly states that he gets D6 attacks, at no point does it say he gets none on a role of 1.
I would say it pretty specifically says he gets no attacks on a roll of 1.
Quote:
...Abaddon counts as equipped with a Daemon Weapon...
That seems rather clear and straight forward to me. The reason the rules explicitly state he gets an additional D6 attacks is so that they could show that he doesn't just have 4 attacks.
post #9 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangon View Post
I would say it pretty specifically says he gets no attacks on a roll of 1.

That seems rather clear and straight forward to me. The reason the rules explicitly state he gets an additional D6 attacks is so that they could show that he doesn't just have 4 attacks.
I see what your saying but, if its as straight forward as him having a daemon weapon, why would they need to re-emphasize that he gets D6 attacks? Sure he already has a daemon weapon; they never do the same thing for Typhus and he has a daemon weapon. Also in his case they explicitly state that it should be treated as a normal daemon weapon. Something which they don't do for Abaddon.

He gets +4 Strength and D6 attacks for his daemon weapon as well as the rest of the profile of a daemon weapon. In otherwords two amendments to the basic profile of a DW that sets him apart.
post #10 of 176 (permalink) Old 11-13-10, 05:33 PM

Salahaldin's Flag is: Canada

The +D6 attacks is not an amendment, as it isn't listed with the other amendments. I think the note is saying he gets +D6 attacks so that people don't think he get's 2D6 attacks because he has the mark of Khorne. I'd check the Chaos Space Marines FAQ and Errata, but for some stupid reason I can't open the page listing all the 40K Errata PDF's. For Fantasy and Lord of the Rings, yes, but not 40K.

"Trying to make some sense of it all,
When I can see it makes no sense at all"

"Fools to the left of me,
Jokers to the right,
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you."

Last edited by Salahaldin; 11-13-10 at 05:35 PM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode