Jetbike Turbo Boost clarification question. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

abitterbuffalo's Flag is: USA

Default Jetbike Turbo Boost clarification question.

Here's the argument my friends and I have been having:

In the Jetbike description it states that they may move over terrain and units unimpeded, fine and dandy.

In the text for using the Turbo Boost maneuver, it states that when boosting bikes may not move through area terrain. This represents them moving too fast to dodge through area terrain.

Does the Jetbike ability to move over terrain supersede this?

Or, since Jetbikes use the Turbo Boost ability, do they have to follow the rules as written?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 05:06 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Jetbikes move OVER terrain.

In order to move OVER something, you cannot ALSO be moving THROUGH it.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm... your post really didn't do anything to answer my question.

An argument is, Jetbike's ability to move over terrain is assuming they have full control over their bike.

Turbo Boosting states that they are moving at such high speeds that this kind of control isn't possible.

It's a rules as written vs intended issue. As written, in order to Turbo Boost you may not (under any circumstance) move through area terrain. There is nothing to state that this works differently for Jetbikes.

Also, before I get more posts saying, "Jetbikes move OVER not THROUGH," the Jetbike wording isn't the issue here. The Turbo Boost special rule is.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 05:42 AM

texcuda's Flag is: USA

Does the Jetbike ability to move over terrain supersede this?

I would think so with the key being the Jetbike entry specifically states "Over terrain" which will override the RAW of Turboboosting since it specifically addresses vehicles moving "through" terrain. I know thats kinda a BS answer but I see it as a point of view interpretation. Good luck!

"The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance." The Emporer
"Actually, if you speak up about something you clearly no nothing about, it kinda IS your fault. lol Feel free to ignore any questions you don't know the answer to." Courtesy of DeathKlokk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 06:23 AM

Ferik's Flag is: Canada

The ruling for not being able to turbo boost through terrian is most likely there to cover normal bikes which are unable to go over terrian.

A jet bike have the rule of going over terrian which would be in addition to the turbo boost rule as they are not ever passing through terrian at normal speed so logically they wouldn't be doing so at a faster speed either this applies to skimmers that can turbo boost as well.

After a long campain behind enemy lines Brother Sergeant Telion was put under Chapter scrutiny to test the purity of mind and body.
During his final interview he was asked "do you feel anything when you kill a Heritic".
He simply shrugged and replied "A slight recoil"
The interview finished shortly after.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 06:50 AM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by abitterbuffalo View Post
Hmmm... your post really didn't do anything to answer my question.

Also, before I get more posts saying, "Jetbikes move OVER not THROUGH," the Jetbike wording isn't the issue here. The Turbo Boost special rule is.
Actually, he did. And the wording difference in the two rules is the key. Jetbikes move OVER terrain. Turboboost does not allow movement THROUGH terrain. If you're moving over it, you're not moving through it. It really is that simple.

Put it this way, a bike that moves through dificult terrain has to take a dangerous terrain test. Jetbikes do not have to do so unless they start or end their move in the terrain. Because they move over it, not through it. Same thing.

Don "MONDO"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

I see it as the bikes/jetbikes not being allowed to take any Dangerous Terrain tests whilst TBing.

So Bikes cannot enter any terrain and Jetbikes cannot begin or end their TB move in it.

Strange, but not a Stranger.

Last edited by DeathKlokk; 10-29-10 at 02:32 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 02:13 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Deathklokk, you're so COOL!

Last edited by DeathKlokk; 10-29-10 at 02:32 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I just called Games Workshop to get the real answer to this question, and I was right.

Jetbikes are not allowed to move through (over, around, past, whatever you want to call it) difficult or blocking terrain as part of a Turbo Boost. As they are required to use the Turbo Boosting special rule as written.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 06:54 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by abitterbuffalo View Post
Ok, I just called Games Workshop to get the real answer to this question, and I was right.

Jetbikes are not allowed to move through (over, around, past, whatever you want to call it) difficult or blocking terrain as part of a Turbo Boost. As they are required to use the Turbo Boosting special rule as written.
Yeah, about that... calling GW has a very low rate of accuracy. Call twice with a non-trivial problem, and you'll get two different answers - they have quite a reputation for it. It's basically because they don't have dedicated rules trolls any more, but just have the mail-order boyz - they know about as much as an average GW redshirt, and get it wrong nearly as often. Not that I'm criticising them at all, just saying it's not a reliable way to get rulings that will be accepted by others, especially if those others aren't friends who will just accept it.

At any rate, as others have said, with turbo boost you cannot move THROUGH terrain, but Jetbikes do not move through terrain - otherwise they would have to take dangerous terrain tests when flying over them due to the bike rules. Really. The dangerous terrain rules say that if you enter, leave or move THROUGH dangerous terrain, you take a test. If jetbikes movement was through terrain, they would be taking that test every time they hopped over any terrain - which, I'm sure we can all agree, is wrong. So, if you're consistant with how you use the rule, the only reasonable way to make it work is to accept that jet-bikes can turbo-boost over terrain.

Hope that helps somewhat

/On a related note, I'm finding that Warmachine/Hordes has an extremely tight rules set. Seriously, Privater Press must have some lawyers on the rules team, because all the terms are defined soo...well, definitely, and timing sequences and interactions laid out. It's rather a shock after getting so used to GWs loose use of words and phrases that can often be confusing, and require quite a lot of interpretation, and "sounds right" to get them to work. Cuts down on the debates though, as pretty much every question has a direct answer somewhere, so I always have to come back to the GW sections to get my fill of Arguing on the Internet .

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 10-29-10 at 07:11 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode