The Non-existent "Squish" rule - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Nectar of the Gods!

shampawnya's Flag is: Canada

The Non-existent "Squish" rule

Hello fellow wargamers, but most especially those in command of tanks;

I'm not sure if this topic has come up before, but if it hasn't then I feel that it should be brought up for the greater good. My issue is with the "Tank Shock" rules... not that there is anything really wrong with it, but there really is no "Squish" aspect to the rule.

I explain: As much fun as it is to roll your lumbering mass towards a group of huddled infantry , who turn and hoof it as quickly as possible... and potentially make an entire section of an army run like little sissy girls ... wouldn't it be much more EPIC if you could instead SQUISH THEM?!

Now I am aware that during a "Death or Glory" attack there is the chance that someone will become road pizza, but I want more than that... maybe something along the lines of the "Ramming" rule, tweaked a bit... but anyway you cut it, I truly believe that something magical is missing from the game.

Off color reference: Remember the first time you splatted your buddy with a ghost from Halo (1, 2 or 3) all over the digital scenery ... remember how it made you feel... now I really think that some sort of Squish Rule needs to be implemented... Please let me know if there are others out there, that crave... no, need some high-velocity, heavy metal, squishy goodness...

End Rant, thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 02:58 AM

Play orks and you have plenty of squish then
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 03:02 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

I made a post sorta like this a few months or so ago. I was hoping that I had missed something myself as it seemed that you just couldnt run someone over. Didnt seem....right to me. But that's the way it is.
To make up for it, me and my son add that (and a few more things) to some homebrew games. It's really the only way I know of to get that "squish" into the game.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 03:28 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakey View Post
Play orks and you have plenty of squish then
Second that, battle wagon with deff rollar.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Nectar of the Gods!

shampawnya's Flag is: Canada

... I'm more referring to every other army that doesn't have a deathroller... but point well taken.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 05:41 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Vehicles are overpowered enough as it is without giving every vehicle in the game a free Deffrolla.

If that was the case, id be spamming Trukks and Warbuggies and squishing everything.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-10, 06:21 AM

I remember a pretty epic WD battle report with Dark Angels VS Necrons. A large unit of warriors was Tank Shocked by a Land Raider. The Warriors ended up falling back through a unit of Terminators, so in the 3rd Ed crossfire rules, the unit was wiped out. Both sides decided that the Land Raider was the one that really caught the Warriors ;)
The most hilarious part was that wiping out Necrons that way denies them their self-repair roll. Quite appropriate considering the Land Raider would have ground them into metal shavings.

I always felt that Tank Shock should incorporate a similar rule to Sweeping Advance. If a unit failed their morale test, fell back, and that fall back distance was less than where the tank would end up, the unit was caught and crushed. Maybe to balance it, every time a unit is crushed, the crushing vehicle takes a Dangerous Terrain test, with dozer blades etc allowing re-rolls.

"Oh, they'll never hit us from all the way over th-"

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-10, 09:58 AM

Herr-Flick's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khargoth View Post
I remember a pretty epic WD battle report with Dark Angels VS Necrons. A large unit of warriors was Tank Shocked by a Land Raider. The Warriors ended up falling back through a unit of Terminators, so in the 3rd Ed crossfire rules, the unit was wiped out. Both sides decided that the Land Raider was the one that really caught the Warriors ;)
The most hilarious part was that wiping out Necrons that way denies them their self-repair roll. Quite appropriate considering the Land Raider would have ground them into metal shavings.

I always felt that Tank Shock should incorporate a similar rule to Sweeping Advance. If a unit failed their morale test, fell back, and that fall back distance was less than where the tank would end up, the unit was caught and crushed. Maybe to balance it, every time a unit is crushed, the crushing vehicle takes a Dangerous Terrain test, with dozer blades etc allowing re-rolls.

Then it would be quite possible to kill off a full squad of kitted up nobs or so with a mere rhino... I'd say that's kinda unbalanced tbh.

And anyway what would your reaction be at seeing a tank rumbling your way at full speed? i would get my ass out of the way tbh and not just run off in a line with the tank.

Sanity is Nothing but an Illusion of the Insane

Please dont mind my spelling, dyslectic Dutchman trying to type
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-10, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Flick View Post
Then it would be quite possible to kill off a full squad of kitted up nobs or so with a mere rhino... I'd say that's kinda unbalanced tbh.

And anyway what would your reaction be at seeing a tank rumbling your way at full speed? i would get my ass out of the way tbh and not just run off in a line with the tank.
If you failed your morale check you've panicked and ran the wrong way

You could always allow Invulnerable or maybe even Armour saves...

"Oh, they'll never hit us from all the way over th-"

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-10, 11:58 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khargoth View Post
...If a unit failed their morale test, fell back, and that fall back distance was less than where the tank would end up, the unit was caught and crushed....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Flick View Post
...what would your reaction be at seeing a tank rumbling your way at full speed? i would get my ass out of the way tbh and not just run off in a line with the tank.
Possibly resolvable with the addition of an initiative test to determine whether the unit is quick thinking enough to plot a safe escape route.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode