Multi-Wound and sharing the load? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Default Multi-Wound and sharing the load?

I noticed some other people discussing this in another forum and it got me thinking what are the specific rules for multi-wound models and sharing the load?

Now as we all know when there is a multi wound model in a unit you shouldn't be able to say pass a wound on him every once in a while to stop you from losing one wound models in a squad. For example, some bolters fire and hit a squad of kroot and their groups shaper....

Now a shaper has three wounds, say the squad were to suffer two wounds from bolter fire, now for a player the best thing they could do is pass two wounds on the shaper leaving him with one wound and the normal kroot unharmed.... this means more models in the kroot squad are left and thus some tactical advantage. According to what most people think, that can't be done...... but with some further research I tried to work out.... 'why not?' this is what I found.......

If you look in the main rulebook at the rule on page 27; It details units that consist of several multiple-wound models. These include Ork nobs, Tyranid warriors, etc. Basically, any unit that has 2 or more models that each have 2 or more wounds has to abide by the rules that wounds can't be shared.

So that Kroot unit consisting of one model (the shaper) that has 2 or more wounds does not have to follow those rules. It is important to note that if you were to then attach a master shaper, then suddenly that unit does have to abide by those rules. So if one did join your group then don't take the first wound on your shaper if you have a master shaper attached to the unit, as then the shaper does have to take the rest of the wounds until he is dead!

Speaking with several players I asked their views..... and I found an article from someone who phoned and visited the GW's to find out the answer and explained that it definitely does not apply to units that have a single, multiple wound model. Otherwise, strange things could happen.

So, for example, say a space marine player has a death company unit led by a chaplain. If something freaky happens where the chaplain is the only model in line of sight (freaky as you wouldn't risk him but it may happen), he has to take the wound. But that does not mean he should take every other wound after that until he is dead, that would be ridiculous, because he could be in a different place by then or being fired at from a completely different angle.....

While it doesn't sound like much it does actually change the way some units can be played, I mean look at those kroot, say that was a unit of 9 kroot carnivores and their one shaper, taking those two wounds on the shaper would save you two kroot, leaving you with a full unit and plenty of bulk left for CC, I mean if you let the two kroot die you'd be down 6 CC attacks, whereas if the shaper takes the hits, you're getting all your attacks and the shaper being on one wound doesn't make a difference as he shouldn't be heavily equipped and if he's going to be killed, he would be killed by extreme overkill anyway as he'll be the last one there as per the rules.

Although I prefer the rules that it just can't be done, it does make sense that you actually can, but I prefer the normal way we play, the way we look at it and always have is majority rules. this also applies for squads with different saves, if 9 of the models have one wound or a saving throw of 4+ and there is a leader with 3 wounds and a saving throw of 2+, the leader can only be targetted if he/she is the only model in range or line of sight, otherwise, this model will be the last to be removed, so long as those with one wound and 3+ saves are still in the majority. That way it's simple, easier and fairer.

I'm not sure that this is all 100% correct but it's a thought. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 12:47 AM

You are correct in that you can assign wounds to multi wound models. The downside is that the next time you take wounds in that unit, you have to assign them to the already wounded model as you have to remove whole models when you can. So it will give them at least another turn of life, but the next time they take a wound, that's a dead Shaper/Chaplain/etc. Unless of course that model is out of range or line of sight.

As to the mixed armor rule, the character in 2+ armor you stated above is not really safe. You have to assign wounds to majority armor first, and then you assign wounds to the the worse armor, thereby forcing that model to face a wound. Granted it is a better save (usually) but it is still one they have to take themselves.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 03:55 AM

well no not really. if you then assigned the wound to a single wound model you would still be removing a whole model.

Check out my gamer Blog
http://gamergeekery.blogspot.co.uk/2...rs-in-40k.html

Jezlad "I actually commented that Jigplums list was the least scary list I faced. Then took a pasting"
http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/jigplums
http://www.coolminiornot.com/160095

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 07:33 AM

well it clearly states that u must kill a multi wounded model completely and not try to share wounds to avoid removing a model :roll:

there is no exception for Independant characters and other things :D

besides you take the most common save so if you had tzeentch chosen and a lord with D-armour you would have to take wounds and remove casualties from chosen b4 the lord

if the only model that is visable is shot and suffers a wound only he may die :roll:

stop trying to bend rules to work to you advantage they made rules on purpose you get the idea of wat they are saying in the rulebook so stop twisting their words. :roll:
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 10:58 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Could you, perhaps, quote the rules you attest are so clear?

Because the only rule about multiwound models quoted here is for whole units of multiwound models. Nothing about a multiwound model in a group of single wounders.

I'm not nessecarily taking sides, but whenever someone talks about how the rules are soooo clear and starts with the annoying smoticons to show just what an idiot someone is for thinking otherwise, it makes me say "Prove it, smartass."

Seriously, give me a quite to juystify the snotty attitude

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 08:44 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYRANIDS
well it clearly states that u must kill a multi wounded model completely and not try to share wounds to avoid removing a model :roll:

there is no exception for Independant characters and other things :D

besides you take the most common save so if you had tzeentch chosen and a lord with D-armour you would have to take wounds and remove casualties from chosen b4 the lord

if the only model that is visable is shot and suffers a wound only he may die :roll:

stop trying to bend rules to work to you advantage they made rules on purpose you get the idea of wat they are saying in the rulebook so stop twisting their words. :roll:
While there isn't an "exception" for ICs, we must also bear in mind that the rule you're talking about only applies to units that contain "several multiple-wound models" (page 27, main rulebook). In a unit of single-wound models that happens to contain one multiple-wound model, the remove whole model rule does not apply, as it does not meet the criteria of having several multiple-wound models. Hmmm, seems to me you owe someone an apology for suggesting that they "bend rules', "twisting their words". Maybe next time you should just say you think they're mistaken??......

Don "MONDO"

Don "MONDO"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 08:53 PM

Far too RAW for my liking It's fairly obvious the rule Is meant to Imply you take whole models off wherever possible, I'm sure If you tried pulling this at anything more than a friendly game you'd never win the resulting argument.

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 10:21 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeard
Far too RAW for my liking It's fairly obvious the rule Is meant to Imply you take whole models off wherever possible, I'm sure If you tried pulling this at anything more than a friendly game you'd never win the resulting argument.
Nope, this is actually the interpretation given to me by the rules judges at the US GTs I've attended. Hmmm, yeah, that's just a little more than a friendly game.

Don "MONDO"
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrontyr
As to the mixed armor rule, the character in 2+ armor you stated above is not really safe. You have to assign wounds to majority armor first, and then you assign wounds to the the worse armor, thereby forcing that model to face a wound. Granted it is a better save (usually) but it is still one they have to take themselves.
You've just confused yourself there unless i'm mis-understanding you....... if you have to assign wounds to majority armour, then you'd have to assign to those hypothetical 9 guys with 4+ save as they are the majority, once they were down to 1 model with the 4+ save and the 2+ save leader then technically you could choose as there is no majority really. No?

Also i'm not in favour of this multi wound and sharing, i'm merely expressing the point that it can be done, personally I think you should not be allowed to share wounds through the squad, in my eyes leader or better model dies last (IC's)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-07, 11:02 PM
Warboss Dakka's Flag is: USA

But, if you have a muilti-wound model in a group of single wound models, you can take one wound on the multi-wound charecter and then remove a whole model. It says you have to remove whole models where possible, it does not say you cannot leave partial models. In other words, you have that shaper and 6 kroot. Now lets say you take a wound, you can give it to the shaper no problem (as long as he has the same armor save and toughness, which in our example he does). Now lets say a different unit causes another wound. You can assign that to the shaper no problem as well. Lets say a third wound comes along, now you can grab a regular kroot since you are infact removing a whole model.

What you can't do is get hit three times by one unit, take two wounds, and assign two to the shaper. This would break the rule about distributing hits across a unit (each model must take one hit before any takes two, ect). This rule about each model having to take one hit is suspended for units made up of multi-wound models (like nobs) but I've not read anywhere where it is suspended for single multi-wound models in single wound units. This is my take anyhow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode