Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Adrinal Glands and Toxic Sacs

891 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sartan2002 
#1 ·
Ok so here is my question, after reading a bunch of different post I've noticed that people only choose one or the other.... I was under the impression you could choose both if you wanted to? am I wrong? if so can you show me the page reference for this.

#2 ·
yes you can choose both. and if you do so, you get re-rolls to wound on anything toughness 4 or below. no page reference off the top of my head, but it doesn't say anywhere that you're not allowed to take both. the reason many people don't is because they can get pricey, and they tend to be fire magnets.

i often take supergaunts if i have enough points to fill. i usually just run some basic gaunts in front of them for cover

#3 ·
Yup thats it- you can take both but doing so really isnt necessary in almost any case. For hormogaunts having both makes them very expensive (especially since they are so easy to kill) while taking both on stealers not only makes them a lot of points but is also pretty useless since you'll pretty much go straight through anything that opposes you with just 1 or the other (I prefer toxin as I go after people not tanks with them... but adrenal stealers take out tanks and especially walkers much more easily).

#4 ·
Montrous Creatures are in most cases nerfed by Toxin Sacs.

Adrenal Glands don't offer all that much for Stealers IMO.
-Glancing AV10 on 5's, but still pen's on 6's- by the time you cause enough glances to mean something, your causing enough pens to cause serious damage (ie, most liekly wreck it)
-Glancing AV14....very rarely. 6 to pen, followed by a 5 or 6 to glance. Not good enough for me to throw my stealers into a raider, especially when it can carry a deadly unit.

Now, you don't want to charge Walkers and won't be able to catch fast/skimmers, which leaves not much in the way of effective targets. Besides, Hive Guard/Zoanthropes/Montrous Creatures should be enough to destroy an armoured column.

#5 · (Edited)
Taking stealers for anti-tank is iffy (thus why I dont do it), but it would give you some counter to people hiding dreads/walkers behind troops units to counter attack into your stealers- if they do an adrenal gland multi-charge might be a good plan... then again thats what zoanthropes/hive guard are meant to be for.

As for MCs and toxin sacs: toxin sacs are better then wounding on a 3+, worse then wounding on a 2+... so if you are against a T3 enemy they'll always hurt you, if you are against a T4 enemy then they'll hurt you if you are S5 (and adrenal will be better, assuming you charge)... only time they really shine is if you are fighting a T5+ heavy army such as a necron destroyer wing or another nid army with lots of MCs.
Only MC I would ever give toxin to is the tervigon... sure its S5 so the toxin is often helpful, but mostly its because it gives its bonus to nearby gaunts (no to mention being so slow it'll rarely charge anything that doesnt want to get into combat with it).

#7 ·
Well even though its got a pitifully low initiative, a tervigon can still do damage, it wounds terminators on a 3+ and denies them their armor saves!

Still though I do agree on both points, genestealers should be sent after troops and/or elites units and toxin sacs on an MC isn't really worth it. The only good biomorph for MC's is adrenal glands for trygons and carnifexs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.