ummmm...hand to hand - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Zerkersgalore's Flag is: USA

Default ummmm...hand to hand

if you debase a unit because of a Chaplin with higher initiative than the regular marines, can the regular marines still attack? Now keeep in mind that not even the chaplin is in base to base anymore. My Zerkers went on the same initiative as the chaplin, so they didn't have a reason to be in hand to hand with him any more, so I debased him. I would love to know wheather or not they get to attack back.

Ignorance is no excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 04:31 PM
SHarrington's Flag is: USA

Hmm. My answer is based on my best guess at interpreting what you just said.

1.) Assumption. Debasing = opponents models in base 2 base contact were killed before you were able to swing on them.

All right now that it is out of the way, lets proceed.
Everything I am about to say is found on page 35 of the BRB.

Quote:
Units that have one or more models in base contact with enemies are said to be 'locked in combat'. Within such units, the following models are said to be 'engaged' and must fight.
* Models in 'base contact' with enenmy models.
* Models within 2" of at least one model in their unit that is in base contact with any enemy models.

All engaged models will fight in this turn's Assault phase with their full number of attacks they have.

Working out which models are engaged in combat is done at the start of the fight, and will not change until its end, but casualties may make it difficult to remember as the fight continues, especially in a large combat.
As you can see, everyone that was elgible at the start of combat gets to fight, even if they are no longer in Base 2 Base later on in combat. Its up to you to remember which unit they could attack though.

The only exception I can see to this is if all elgible units that you could have attacked are wiped out, then you wouldn't have anything to attack, but it would have to be the entire unit.
This happens more often then not to IC vs IC fights where some other unit clips one of the ICs before they get to swing on each other.
Because of IC special rules, they are only allowed to attack units they were in Base 2 Base with, and thus can be 'debased' much easier then others.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 06:04 PM

Reddawn211's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHarrington View Post
Hmm. My answer is based on my best guess at interpreting what you just said.

1.) Assumption. Debasing = opponents models in base 2 base contact were killed before you were able to swing on them.

All right now that it is out of the way, lets proceed.
LOL, that is classic!

Not to be a dick, Zerkersgalore, but I really didn't understand what you were saying until Sharrington posted. I don't laugh at you, just SHarrington's wit.

"No, what does Shrike do?" - love to hear that

Awww, wait... damn it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode