Scorpion powerfist: str 6 right? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 02:07 PM

does this mean my rune priest with a frost blade and a force weapon doesn't get his s+1 on his force weapon :D dam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 02:14 PM

Ack, I even pointed out the page that was addressed on. Go have a look at page 46 again. Then come back and try to hijack the thread.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 02:55 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Bob (Can I call you Bob?), I love a good "It's retarded, but it's what the rules say" thread as much as everyone else hates them, and I've never been one to end a debate with "I don;t care what the rules say, it's just stupid." because that's just plain lazy...

But I don't see where you're coming from on this one.

The wording for the scorpion chainsword isn't significantly different than that of the powerfist.

The powerfist reads
"A powerfist is <description>. It doubles the user's strength..." blah blah

The Scorpion Chainsword reads
"This is a one-handed weapon that adds +1 Str to the model's attacks."

How are those meaningfully different?
This is a big metal fist. It makes you twice as strong.
This is a chainsaw sword that makes you 1 point stronger.

In either case it is clearly stated that the *weapon* is what confers the bonus. Since you cannot *use* two special attacks/weapons and gain the bonuses of both (as described on p46) you must pick one.

It doesn't matter how the bonus is granted, if you're not using the weapon you cannot gain its bonus.

I could see if it said "It's a one handed weapon AND it adds +1 to str" because then you could argue that the bonus is independent from the item's role as a weapon.

But in this case the strength bonus is clearly and explicitly tied to its role as a weapon. If you do not use it as a weapon it does not grant you the bonus.

If you're arguing that it doesn't say you have to use the sword to gain the +1, it also doesn't say that you have to USE the powerfist. It just says that it (the power fist) makes you twice as strong. It doesn't say its attacks are twice as strong, or attacks made with the powerfist are at double strength. It just makes you twice as strong.

It never says you have to use a force weapon for it to unleash its attack either.

But in all cases the rules are clear that if a weapon has a special property, you have to USE that weapon to gain the property. It;s clear

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 02-16-08 at 03:13 PM.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 02:57 PM

Hang on wait, who are you talking to here? o_0? I'm arguing the same point as you really.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 03:07 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Oops, I'm sorry. For some reason I got you and bob mixed up.
I've edited the post. Sorry about that ;-)

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 02-16-08 at 03:14 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 03:35 PM
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

Hehehe, silly wabbits.

One weapon's bonus is all that's permitted. There really is no way around it.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 04:14 PM

It was a jest to bring humor around not threaten. Because lets face it you're just not worth the jail time That and I'd rather not have a 400 lb friend named bubba for whatever allotment of time the judge gave me!
When it comes down to it stuff like this is like the last ARd'Boyz tournament when a person staggered two marine squads just enough that you can't EVER charge unless you do something to knock them out of cohesive units (the judge called over laughed at the hard interpretation of the rules and allowed my friend to charge), causing them not to be within one inch of each other. All I know is I'd take it to a tournament and let someone higher up make the deciding rule on such a case.
If someone did it to me, i'd be bringing 20 unit strong sisters and making a staggering line is where I'd go with it because that is in fact a "HARD" interpretation of the rules. It would be a game that reeked of very narrow readings of the rules which tend to blow the most.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

From my pov it's pretty easy to delegate this with the following logic. Is the it a weapon? Does it do anything beyond granting an extra attack if you have 2? If the answer is yes to both of these questions, then it's a ccw that grants a special effect, and you can never have more than one such effect.
Is the scorpion chainsword a weapon? Certainly, it grants an extra attack if you have 2 and says it is. Does the scorpion chainsword do anything beyond granting an extra attack if you have 2? Why yes, yes it does. It gives +1 str to the model's attacks. The answer to both questions was yes, therefore you can't double on on special weapon effects. GW is notorious for having some vaguely opposed wordings, it's much better to use the general rule that they're obliquely referring to to govern all situations not explicitly worded as being an exception to the rule.

If you want to rationalize it the scorpion chainsword is made with advanced eldar engineering such that it is so deadly that it adds +1 to the model's strength when rolling to wound (not really increasing their own strength but rather allowing them to wound easier). So it's a weapon that must be used to be effective. It's not like the chainsword is really heavy so they do strength training in order to wield it. That would be reflected by having a base 4 strength.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 06:07 PM

stupid question i know

but can i uses a weapon that gives +1 strength and attack with a power weapon ?
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-16-08, 06:15 PM

Page 46! Go have a look.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode