Multiple ICs in a unit - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

zeroblackstar's Flag is: Wales

Icon Multiple ICs in a unit

Quick question, theres nothing in the rules that says you cant have multiple ICs join a unit is there?

So if I decided to, I could quite happily take a 10 man assault squad with librarian and chaplain right..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:33 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblackstar View Post
Quick question, theres nothing in the rules that says you cant have multiple ICs join a unit is there?

So if I decided to, I could quite happily take a 10 man assault squad with librarian and chaplain right..?
You can indeed - nothing stops you stacking as many ICs in a unit as you feel like, or in fact just joining ICs together if you felt like it to form their own unit (not that it's a good idea most of the time ).

Hope that helps

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Excellent! Thanks!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 02:02 AM

Ok, as I understand it an IC has specific rules for when it CANNOT join a unit correct? One part of that says an IC cannot join a unit that always consists of one model (one that can never have more). My thought is this: can an IC join another IC because they both have the IC rule? or can they not because of the above rule? It doesn't say that you cannot join two IC together, but the rule clearly says an IC cannot join a unit or one model (which an IC usually is)

Thought? Answers?

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 02:19 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

ICs can indeed join together to form a, ahem, 'super'unit.
Page 48, the next sentence after the rule you mention.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 09:12 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
ICs can indeed join together to form a, ahem, 'super'unit.
Page 48, the next sentence after the rule you mention.
Hi TKE, long time no see.

Im still waiting to see the C:SM IC super unit in Apoc- have a unit of 1 each of each of the SC from the marine codex... would be quite rubbish for its points but well worth seeing

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

it seems a bit daft to be able to join ICs together being as there are only two allowed on the force organisation chart.

well at least my chapter master and librarian can skip accross the battlefield hand in hand before theyre wiped out...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 09:53 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblackstar View Post
it seems a bit daft to be able to join ICs together being as there are only two allowed on the force organisation chart.

well at least my chapter master and librarian can skip accross the battlefield hand in hand before theyre wiped out...
Actually, straight up you could have 5 ICs in a SM chapter (2 HQs and 3 techmarines), with a potential of up to 4 more (thunderfire cannons and chronus, but they require their unit to be destroyed first). Definitely a waste of points to make a super-IC unit like this, but hey, if you really felt like it.

Other armies can get a few ICs too, like guard who can have 5 Priest ICs, along with its HQ choices (so at least 7 straight off the mark), and then get DH/WH allied inquisitors on top of that (so you could have a unit of 9 ICs straight off the mark if you so desired), and dark eldar can get 6 (3 haemonculi for each HQ slot), Space wolves can get 7ICs thanks to having twice as many HQ slots as anyone else, and BTs get a few extras thanks to their rules, you could start with a command squad with 6 ICs in it.

Yeah, they're all very very useless for their points, but hey, they'd go out in a blaze of glory

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 03-10-10 at 09:55 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:07 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Hi TKE, long time no see.

Im still waiting to see the C:SM IC super unit in Apoc- have a unit of 1 each of each of the SC from the marine codex... would be quite rubbish for its points but well worth seeing
Hey man, good to see you.

I would still sooner see the uber-Apoc unit drawn from several Codexes and mounted in a Stompa we discussed a year or so ago. An all SM IC unit would still be hilarious though!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-10, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

jesus, 3 techmarines with thunder hammers and full servo harnesses along with a chapter master and a librarian, both tooled up....MASSIVE waste of points, but fun none the less!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode