Mycetic Spore and tank shocking - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-10, 09:49 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
I wouldn't just do it, because it would be an extremely easy way to gain a killpoint. I can see in the end most times the pod will penetrate the tank with out much of a problem, but the chance of the tank just getting some minor damage is bigger than the tank getting wrecked or destroyed, which for me is a problem.

It might not be reliable for shooting, but mission wise it can either contest an objective if placed right or as above be a killpoint.
If your worried about the Mycetic Spore giving away a Kill Point, you shouldn't be using it. It's T4 and 4+ save, that's extremely easy to kill even with 3 wounds. If he's close enough to Tank Shock, chances are he's in double tap range. A full 10-man Tactical Sqaud (with Special and Heavy) can throw out 15 Bolter shots at it, which equates to 10 hits and 5 wounds on average. That's an average of 2.5 wounds. Also, a Meltagun thats hits has a 5/6 chance of slaying it outright.

So when the enemy is that close, the Mycetic Spore is in danger anyway, and hitting a vehicle with 6+2D6 penetration is about the best a Spore will do.

A little point on the Contesting of objectives: If you don't Death or Glory, the Spore will be moved off the objective anyway and you've lost a chance to take out the vehicle and keep contesting the objective
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-10, 11:50 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Hate to say it, but the way it sounds pod + tank shock equals death or glory, and taking into account the fact Tyranids even get a drop pod equivalent, I would personally beat a Tyranid savagely if he argued the point in game.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-10, 01:14 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by solkan View Post
I'm not a big fan of mandatory Death or Glory either. The two better alternatives, I think, are:

1. The prohibition for the pod is "move" in the active mood. The wording for tank shock is "is moved" in the passive mood. So if a tank shocking tank ends its movement on top of the pod, relocating the pod is acceptable.

2. Because the pod cannot move, then the tank must give way and if it would end its move on top of the pod then it has to stop before coming into contact with the pod.

Of course, the third alternative is to fabricate some special rules to deal with the situation of trying to ram a tank into what must be the single biggest (by volume, even it if might be mostly empty) mass of flesh on the board. It should be fairly likely that a ground vehicle would get stuck inside the pod in that sort of situation.
Solkan has it right.
I can push a car (yeah good luck with that fatty :3), and I can be pushed by a car (ow), but they aren't the same thing.
I can kill someone, and I can kill myself, but only one of them is a murder charge.
I can move through my own locomotion, and I can be moved by something else's locomotion, and they're very different things.

The pod cannot move voluntarily, but it has no restrictions on being moved.
If something says "It must move." then it can't comply, but if something (like Tank Shock) says "It is moved.) then there is no conflict.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-10, 11:43 PM

Alright guys this is a rules thread not tactics

And like 2-3 people said above me tank shock says it is moved and not has to move
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-10, 10:44 AM

I would probably play it that it non optionally death or glories the tank that's tank shocking it. It's not RAW but Mycetic Spores can't move so they cannot choose to get out of the way of the Tank like everyone else does. Everyone else makes an Initiative Check and leaps out of the way, Spores cannot do this so it''s Death or Glory clearly. The Tank doesn't move people neatly to the side of it by pushing them, that's people diving out of the way.

Aramoro
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-10, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
I would probably play it that it non optionally death or glories the tank that's tank shocking it. It's not RAW but Mycetic Spores can't move so they cannot choose to get out of the way of the Tank like everyone else does. Everyone else makes an Initiative Check and leaps out of the way, Spores cannot do this so it''s Death or Glory clearly. The Tank doesn't move people neatly to the side of it by pushing them, that's people diving out of the way.

Aramoro
True enough, but for a start it's a Leadership test, not an Initiative test
I guess with the Snot Pod you could just picture it not being ready to attack the vehicle, and getting smashed out of the way harmlessly as it recoils in surprise.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-10, 11:20 AM

Meh Leadership, Initiative, close enough.

Aramoro
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-10, 11:46 AM

The Spore would only move if your tank ended it's tank shock attack on it - and the tank would be moving the Spore, the Spore wouldn't be moving itself. Death or Glory is entirely optional.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-10, 12:29 PM

The way we played it in a game I was in was that the Spore could Death-Or-Glory if it passed the Leadership test, but if it failed, it was "falling back" and then "unable to make a full 2d6 in any direction" (because it can't move) and was therefore destroyed.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-10, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWLlosa View Post
The way we played it in a game I was in was that the Spore could Death-Or-Glory if it passed the Leadership test, but if it failed, it was "falling back" and then "unable to make a full 2d6 in any direction" (because it can't move) and was therefore destroyed.
Well it's fearless, so it passes automatically.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode