Can you get a stat above 10? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 03:53 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

the same could be said for, whats so special about leadership that allows it to go over 10. attacks is simply how many times you strike, not how powerfully or how well. ohh and the BT thing doesnt work, its a modifier of strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 05:21 AM

i thought if he rolls 2 d6 and gets higher than 12 he gets 10 attacks

not more

ie he could roll 1 d6 and get more than 10 on a 5 or 6

but thats a slim chance thats why he has 2 d6 so if he rolls a 1 and any other number he still gets a few attacks

10 being max
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 07:01 AM

Hmmm, not entirely sure about the max amounts for Leadership or any other stat, but I know for a fact you can get above 10 attacks.

An issue of white dwarf (not sure what the issue number is, but it has the same picture on the cover as the 4th Ed Chaos Codex) features a battle report between chaos and IG. The chaos player specifically chooses a Khorne Lord because he has a chance at least of 17 power weapon attacks on a charge.

Not sure how it works tho, as I don't have the chaos codex to take a look.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 07:26 AM
Inquisitor

Bishop120's Flag is: USA

Well as far as the power klaw/fist scenario which applies to Dread CCW it specifically states in the Power Fist special weapon rules that Str maxes out at 10.

As to the leadership getting a +1 for a unit falling back into cover I can find no such rule. What I did find was that a unit testing to regroup when no enemy is in line of sight get a +1 to their test. Again this is not a modifier to the stat only a modifier to the test.

Let me change what I said before slightly and elaborate a little bit more... Certain things modify a stat directly (furious charge / Power Fists & Klaws / Ork mob size) but all of these have a built in limit to 10 in the base rule set. You can not modify a stat past 10. That being said there are times when you get modifiers which do not affect the stat directly but are added in to be used such as getting additional attacks for 2 CCWs, charging, daemon weapons and in the case of LD you have positive and negative modifiers to the test but not the stat directly. Again I also point out to you that GW does not test their rules with rules lawyers to see if they can be broken. Most long time gamers understand that certain rules where not meant to be broken even if GW screwed up some minor wording.

"The warrior who acts out of honor cannot fail. His honour is duty itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."

- Roboute Guilliman
Primarch of the Ultramarines
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 09:11 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop120 View Post

Let me change what I said before slightly and elaborate a little bit more... Certain things modify a stat directly (furious charge / Power Fists & Klaws / Ork mob size) but all of these have a built in limit to 10 in the base rule set. You can not modify a stat past 10. That being said there are times when you get modifiers which do not affect the stat directly but are added in to be used such as getting additional attacks for 2 CCWs, charging, daemon weapons and in the case of LD you have positive and negative modifiers to the test but not the stat directly. Again I also point out to you that GW does not test their rules with rules lawyers to see if they can be broken. Most long time gamers understand that certain rules where not meant to be broken even if GW screwed up some minor wording.
I think this is the best answer that we can get without contacting the trolls at GW. Using the RAW this is what I get from it as well.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 09:35 AM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

in the WD (AUS) 333 Alessio Cavatore says "The idea of a potenial 17 power weapon attacks on the charge was just too appealing to resit!"

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire

Last edited by Imperial Dragon; 02-01-08 at 09:38 AM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop120 View Post
Well as far as the power klaw/fist scenario which applies to Dread CCW it specifically states in the Power Fist special weapon rules that Str maxes out at 10.
The furious charge bonus is added after the pfist/dccw/pklaw bonus. For normal nobs this means their 4 str is doubled to 8 then +1 = 9. For dreads and warbosses they are 10+1...in theory. Furious charge is a modifier that doesn't do anything to the normal base stat just like 2 ccws give you an extra attack but don't change the base profile. The only thing I can find that governs the cap is on p.12 when it says that all stats are measured from 0 to 10. Nowhere does it say that attacks are exempt from this rule. Unless this rule doesn't cover modified stats, at which point you have to determine what makes a modified stat, and any determination within that category is going to be arbitrary except if you count all stats that are changed from their base stat line in the codex for specific situational reasons such as furious charge, demon weapons, mob rule, etc.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 05:00 PM
Inquisitor

Bishop120's Flag is: USA

[QUOTE=Culler;60796]The furious charge bonus is added after the pfist/dccw/pklaw bonus. For normal nobs this means their 4 str is doubled to 8 then +1 = 9. For dreads and warbosses they are 10+1...in theory. Furious charge is a modifier that doesn't do anything to the normal base stat just like 2 ccws give you an extra attack but don't change the base profile. [QUOTE]

Again we get back to that the power fist/klaw doubles the Str to a max of 10. We also have that the Str vs Tough chart only goes to a max of 10 on each. Not that we cant all figure out the pattern to determine what 11 works out to be but it is not intended for us to use it that way. Untill the Blood Feeder came out I dont think we really had a case for when GW intended anything to go past 10 and with Ork warbosses now Str 5 instead of 4 they broke their usual pattern of having FC + PK/PF combo.. It is my belief here that GW didnt intend for this and probably didnt think about it. Again GW does not imploy rules lawyers for their testing purposes so they have become very willy nilly about throwing about new rules that are possibly broken and untill they decide to make a FAQ about it well.. If it becomes to much of a sore point just flip a coin and press on with the game.

"The warrior who acts out of honor cannot fail. His honour is duty itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."

- Roboute Guilliman
Primarch of the Ultramarines
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-08, 05:15 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

yes, the powerfist doubles the base stat to a max of 10, but then there are further modifiers. like the BT vow, dreads *must* take this vow, and therefore GW would be thinking of the powerclaws strength and then increasing it, they wouldnt miss something like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode