Tank Shock Close Combat? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-08, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Default Tank Shock Close Combat?

Well, I played a game yesterday and had the opportunity to tank shock a unit in close combat. Those I play against are not big fans of this, (mainly because I can, and did, shoot those guys.) I was just wondering if this is a legal move. I have found nothing against it. I know that you can't shoot a squad in close combat, but last I checked Tank Shock isn't shooting.

For any that may be wondering I tend to line guys up in lines so when you assault me you have to assault with your guys in a nice line, and in the rare circumstance I might just have a spare Rhino lying around in the perfect spot to go through your guys but not mine. What we ended up doing was I Tank Shocked the guys they failed moral and the squad fell back ending their assault on my guys. I then shot the guys off the field.

Any responses on if this is allowed or not would be greatly appreciated.

I'm watching you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-08, 02:29 PM
Inquisitor

Bishop120's Flag is: USA

Sounds like a good tactic... cant find anything against it.. just remeber you cant shock your own guys at any time so any time you TS you have to hit solely enemy units.

"The warrior who acts out of honor cannot fail. His honour is duty itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."

- Roboute Guilliman
Primarch of the Ultramarines
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-08, 04:56 PM

Lord Sinkoran's Flag is: England

you cant do that for the same reason as you cant shoot at a unit in combat no sane general would let a tank run over a unit that is engaged with a unit of friendlys.

Violence is never the answer, it is the question, to which the answer is, yes

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-08, 06:51 PM

You cant do it.

Quite simple really. Once a unit is locked in combat the only moves it may make are pile in moves (P44)
In order to cause the unit to take a morale check you need to cause it to move a model out of the way. Which is of course something you cannot do because the unit is locked in CC & can only move via pile in.

May is not must.

If in doubt always choose the lesser of two weevils

just freaking do it ok?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-08, 10:39 PM
Inquisitor

Bishop120's Flag is: USA

Well Tank Shock rules say they MUST move.. now just because the rules say they cant move doesnot make tank shock an illegal option at this point. So now you have 2 diffrent rules with contradictory statements... how do you resolve this? There are several outcomes I can think of.

A) Enemy units move out of the way per TS rules and attempt to keep at least one model engaged to keep the unit still locked in combat.

B) Enemy units move out of the way and everyone becomes dissengaged from combat.. Both units should make a consolidation move as combat ended.

C) Enemy units are crushed as for one they cant move out of the way of the tank crashing through them or because as they were running from the tank they were killed by the other unit.

I would say dice off, make a house rule, or just aggree with your opponent on what happens prior to the game.

"The warrior who acts out of honor cannot fail. His honour is duty itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."

- Roboute Guilliman
Primarch of the Ultramarines
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-08, 11:07 PM

squadiee's Flag is: Great Britain

I agree with Bishop120, it is the most logical thing to do as there is nothing saying you cannot while there is nothing saying you can

thats GW for ya

http://flytheflag.proboards104.com/index.cgi

Visit for some footy discussion

Vassal Records (W/D/L)

Haven't played any recently, but is planning on it!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-08, 02:02 AM

Deceiver's Flag is: USA

close combat-- both sides are engaged in melee. they swirl about in the area. that is why line of site is blocked up to tallest size of model in combat. can't target enemy unit. can't even put a blast marker on models of enemy unit engaged although a placed nearby template can drift over the close combat. cannot tank shock engaged enemy models for same reasons.

guess you could make up some prepostorous reason like lots of people do in these forums to circumvent rules and common sense but you would not be allowed to do it in a real tourney. falls under "house rules" I would say.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-08, 05:49 AM

Sycoa's Flag is: Canada

Sorry to take it a bit off-topic, but I'm wondering, everytime I ask about Tank Shock around my local shop, everyone basicaly laughs. Whats the point of using it?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-08, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycoa View Post
Sorry to take it a bit off-topic, but I'm wondering, everytime I ask about Tank Shock around my local shop, everyone basicaly laughs. Whats the point of using it?
You can break units with it. Entire space marine squads for example. Or broadsides. Any unit that is not fearless & you can drive over with a Tank.

May is not must.

If in doubt always choose the lesser of two weevils

just freaking do it ok?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-08, 05:03 PM

Deceiver's Flag is: USA

opp fails ldrshp and just moves out of the way enuff to let you by (could favor opp if it forces him into terrain or other situation)
opp passes ldrshp and either moves out of way (usually) or picks 1 model to make that 1 and only 1 attk at it. he'll need a 4 or 6 to hit it(depending on how far it has moved) and need a high str attk. so 99% of time he will just move out of the way anyway.
not worth it.

However,the battlewagon appears to have it's own tank shock rules and looks to be very worth doing it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode