tyranid instant death - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-08, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Default tyranid instant death

I have a Tau army with enough fire power to do a lot of damage on tanks and heavy infantry but I am playing againts a tyranid army with synapsus creatures... so they are immune to instant death, even if I am firing with a railgun.... Can somoene confirm that...or at leat give me a way to exterminate them quicky...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-08, 12:53 PM

yes its true, erm plasma rifles do serious damange!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-08, 12:58 PM

only thing you can do then is Template weapons / multiple shots mow them down pin them down make them moral check

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-08, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I did the mistake to put a Ion canon instead of a railgun on my hammerhead...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-08, 01:18 PM

Synapse = Immune to instant death, and fearless.

So pinning, or making them run away doesn't work.

Best option is kill the synapse creatures, and there is only one way to do that. The hard way, by either shooting or assaulting them until they die.

Which gets tricky when it's a Hive Tyrant with 2 guards a T6 with 8 wounds total for the unit typically standing in 4+ cover.

Hand to hand works best IW terminators, etc. Unfortunately for Tau you don't have that option.

Best of luck. I retired my nidzilla list simply because everyone hated it, and after 5 tournaments nothing I fought against gave it much trouble. I'm sure there are specific lists out there that could. However I haven't seen it yet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-08, 01:47 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

The good news is that Tau are probably the most fundamentally broken army in the game, which works to your advantage, particularly against Tyranids.

Pulse rifles wound gaunts on 2's, and are AP5. Gaunts should not be an issue at any time.

But that's not really the question, was it? The ion cannon-armed hammerhead is actually going to be more useful against Tyranids than the more common railgun-armed configuration. Multiple shots will kill Warriors, which are synapse creatures and thus targets of some priority. The hammerhead should be quite safe from Tyranid fire, and you're doing something wrong if it gets assaulted.

Hopefully you've got a few Crisis suits armed in the proven Fireknife configuration-- a missile pod and plasma rifle as its armaments. While really intended to shred Space Marines, a Fireknife can do a number on monstrous creatures as well since its weapons are high strength.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-08, 07:22 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad King George View Post
only thing you can do then is Template weapons / multiple shots mow them down pin them down make them moral check
Tyranids tend to either be fearless or in synapse range which again makes them fearless. No pinning.

Fireknife crisis suits will do a number by targeting warriors, stealers with extended carapace, or MCs. dropping a squad of fire warriors behind a devilfish within 12" of the enemy will annihilate any smaller bugs and will even throw enough wounds at warriors to hurt them greatly. Ion cannon generally won't do alot against MCs since they tend to either have a toughness of 7 or a 2+ save or both. It will ream warriors though. A submunitions shot from a hammerhead with a railgun will do wonders against genestealers and warriors. Tau lack easy access str 7/8 ap 2 weaponry, which is the perfect thing against MCs. Their plasma rifles will have a tough time wounding the MCs but are easier to get. Their railguns will cut through an MC like paper, but it has to do so 4 times before the MC goes down. A group of broadsides might be able to manage it at a decent pace (looking at needing 5 or 6 railgun shots to take down an MC each round on average.)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-08, 04:09 PM

Well, I hope you'll tie your game body, good luck with that ;-)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-08, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

thanks...

We will finish the games this weekend, I will let you know...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode