Sharpshooting Priests? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-07, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Default Sharpshooting Priests?

I know that Doctrines apply to a unit, any officer attached, and any adviser attached. I know that Sharpshooters only applies to a unit with at least one model with BS 3 in it. Well, that means that Stormtroopers or Hardened Vets can't take Sharpshooting, right?

But what if I attach a priest to the unit (a Priest as a BS of 3)? Does that mean that I can "unlock" sharpshooting for my Deep-striking Hardened Veteran Melta team or my Stormtrooper gunline?

I know that it's a ridiculously expensive way to do things (for Guard at least) but at least it gives me a reason to think about using Priests instead of Commies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-07, 04:22 AM
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

Nope... no model with a BS of 4 can take advantage of the skill, no matter how you try to justify it.

Actually, its pretty lame.

IG win by pure guts and courage. Trickery is a tool of Chaos and shows the taint of heresy. Prepare to be cleansed.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-07, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Eh, I guess I misread that.

That's kinda easy to do, especially considering that "Infantry Squad" is both a global unit type and an infantry choice in the Codex.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-07, 04:46 AM

That little bit of wording has caused many debates...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-08, 06:51 AM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

oh wow are you serious?
my friend used sharpshooters for ALL of his infantry against me lol
i feel like a retard now

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-08, 07:32 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Easy mistake to make. especially if a) you don't have the IG codex or b) you do and don't play as or against IG often.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-08, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

A little rephrasing could make the Imperial Guard Codex much easier to understand.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-08, 10:17 PM

Have you noticed that GW has difficulty 'rephrasing' things....

Usually, their attempts result in 3.5 editions and overhauls that lead to 10x the number of necessary FAQs than they're willing to release.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-08, 12:15 AM

MarzM's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Soporific View Post
A little rephrasing could make the Imperial Guard Codex much easier to understand.

Sorry to say, but due to the way the army in composed, the IG codex has always been one of the more complicated codices to get your head around! Im Dyslexic, and it took me a couple of goes just to make sure.

However if you want a laugh. a Priest, Psyker (honourifica) and Commissar assigned to a command squad all with power/force weapons and close order drill will hit at I5 with re-rolls on the charge! Thats got to be worth a giggle!!

MarzM

MarzM
Prince of the Grigori
"Sententia professio meus pugna securis quod ornamentum of bellum" 51:20
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-08, 12:36 AM

Actually this rule is defined in the IG codex and does not require a clarification or rewrite. I wouldn't say it was especially clear, but it is there.

The rule says that "Any Guard Infantry model with a BS of 3 may make a single re-roll of a shooting to hit roll of 1." This answers many of the questions above.

The term "Guard Infantry" (GW's caps) is a rule on page 55 of the codex, where a number of specific unit types are named. Hardened Veterans (HVs) are included in the list but stormtroopers are not.

Arguably, you could buy the skill for the HVs if a priest is attached, though I would argue that you couldn't. I think that when you buy the unit it doens't include any guys with BS3, so they can't have the skill. In any case even if you could buy the skill it would apply only to BS 3 guys, so just the priest. Pretty much a complete waste of time then.

Look out for the term "Guard Infantry" in the doctrine descriptions and where it describes specific units instead. I think there is only one doctrine where there is a description fails to meet any of these, which is Die-Hards. Apparently "Any Imperial Guard Infantry unit or Rough Rider squadron may be given this ability...". "Imperial Guard Infantry" is a term that may mean either any infantry from the imperial guard including stuff like storm troopers (which might be intended in this case). Alternatively, it may be a typo that should say Guard Infantry - but die hards isn't really that amazing anyway so people can get around this by not wasting points on it.

Also, as far as I can tell, Chem inhalers are available without restriction.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode