Drop Pod hatches - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-09, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamgek View Post
i think if they suffered from all the ways to have a deepstrike mishap that no one would use em and gw wouldn't be able to sell an awesome well done model... my main question was is how did the doors count... cause there is the gw rule(atleast i think) that you can't move with in 1 inch of a enemy model unless assaulting...
Its very similar to my ork battle waggon with a 24" drop down drawbridge. first turn I turn it on the spot, drop the bridge & deploy my 20 boys across the table & assault.

Its just not right.

So ignore the doors & just use the main body.

May is not must.

If in doubt always choose the lesser of two weevils

just freaking do it ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-09, 05:36 PM
Gog

Gog's Flag is: England

Even simpler to work this one out than you would think as in the RB it say under dissembarking Page 67 in the mini book,
"When the unit disembarks, each model is deployed within 2 " of one of the vehicle's access points"
The door flaps are not the access point, the hole in the side that the flap covered is the access point so that is what the units deploy from, same with an Ork Trukk, the ramps are not the access point, the gaps in the armour are, and for a more obviouse example a landraider has big hatches.

<--- Click the Spawn of the Warp
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-09, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Zamgek's Flag is: USA

:p I think you all are misinterpreting my question or I wrote it wrong... I always deploy with in 2 inches of the hull my question was do the doors count as part of the model for like measuring how close you are allowed to be to an enemy, Like if the door would squash a unit of something do you just pick them up and set them on top of that door or would you readjust the drop pod so the opened hatch is 1 inch away?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-09, 12:07 PM

trog's Flag is: Australia

i would say and this is how the club i play at all agree that the doors for measurement purposes, is that it must land with its wings down an inch away from enemy models.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-09, 03:02 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

I would play it like this:

The doors don't exist for rules purposes, except blocking LOS.
When the Drop Pod comes down, you lower the doors if possible, if you can't then you do it when you can (when a model in the way moves).
After they're down they're treated as clear terrain, but block LOS.
If you can't put them down at all, then you ignore them for LOS purposes, as you should always be able to see through the empty pod.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-09, 05:47 AM

Mud213's Flag is: USA

I agree with Winterous. The only difference between him and the way we play is that before the game we decide if the doors will be open or closed for LOS purposes.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-09, 01:11 PM

karlhunt's Flag is: USA

My take on it is that if they are going to block los as part of the model then they have to be considdered part of the model for placement and movement reasons. Besides, if your ork EVER tried to run across my access ramp, the machine spirit would close the flaps up and trap you inside untill my storm bolter had you dead!

C'mon, Click my Daemon. You know you want to.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-09, 01:50 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhunt View Post
My take on it is that if they are going to block los as part of the model then they have to be considdered part of the model for placement and movement reasons. Besides, if your ork EVER tried to run across my access ramp, the machine spirit would close the flaps up and trap you inside untill my storm bolter had you dead!
GW don't make the rules for this sort of thing EXACT, because that would make every codex 10 pages thicker, and makes rules discussion a little less interesting.
Ultimately it's up to the people who are playing to decide.

I look at it like this:

Drop pod comes down, doors closed.
Drop pod opens doors, any doors that are obstructed stay closed until they can open free of obstruction.
Marines come out of the opened doors, Marines that would have exited a closed door just climb over their harness bit.
Pod stays where it is, all doors open if possible, and shoots.
If an obstruction moves out of the way (infantry, or vehicles next to it), then the doors will open if they can.
People can walk over the doors, as considering it a part of the hull is kinda stupid, and since it's something that can change over time, really stupid.

The only part of this that can really be argued about with this process is whether or not opening the doors is even required.
Obviously someone who glues the doors on can't do anything about it, in which case you just use your imagination.

It is my opinion that all the doors are considered down for LOS purposes, any doors which remain up are ignored.
You can practically always shoot through the Pod itself conferring a save, if the unit behind it is tall enough.
This pretty much means that unless it's elevated, it has to be about the size of a Dreadnought to be visible; of course I don't have the models to reference, but I think that's about accurate.

The Drop Pod for Dreadnoughts is a different matter entirely.
Forge World has a great one available, but obviously that's not really an option for everyone.
For people who just want to use the normal Pod kit, I suggest either doing a conversion, or merely removing the centre part of the inside (how else could you fit a Dreadnought in there?)
This will make it possible to see completely through, although as you're firing THROUGH a model, it'll still confer a cover save.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-09, 02:21 PM

Coffeemug's Flag is: USA

Drop pod is an open topped vehical. Rules for open topped vehicals state you may disembark from any point of the vehical(not the hull) page 70 Rulebook. Yes this is CRAZY but its the rule's. Thats what I go by.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-09, 09:21 PM

CerberusDWR's Flag is: USA

Since common sense is apparently lost so easily by those who 'follow the rules' like Coffeemug amongst Marine players, I can easily foresee modelling some two foot long boarding planks on my wagons and trukks. Hell, even just a pole with a marine helmet would do.

Learn to use your heads people, instead of trying to abuse rulebook wording while conveniently disguising it as 'crazy but hey man it's how it goes'.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode