Model Bases? Whats too big - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Cyphereclipse's Flag is: Scotland

Default Model Bases? Whats too big

Hey folks got a question that i'd like to ask.

Is there any size limits on bases for models?

The reason i ask is the vast amount of models are based on the standard base. I have however seen an increase in the amount of models who should be on small bases on the larger 'Terminator' size bases. And in fact 1 model on a dreadnought base!!!

I heard that there was only a min size and not a max size. so you could mount a model on a base the same size or larger than the base supplied with the model.

Ultimatly larger bases for some armies makes for a very serious advantage in the form of disembarking from a vehicle to then assualt with an effective range far greater than they should.
Ok there are downfalls ie the space required to place the models.

So whats every1's opinion on this?
I personally think GW needs to clarify what models should be on what bases.

Cyphereclipse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 06:54 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

pg3 of the BGB
BASES
Citadel minis are normally supplied with a plastic base. If so, they must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in the game.

Some players like to mount their models on impressive scenic bases. As mounting your models on different sized bases might affect the way they interact with the rules, make sure before the game that your opponent doesn't mind this.

That's all the rule there is.

Don "MONDO"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 06:57 PM

I think that the rules state that the models should really be on the base supplied with the models, i think mainly for the fact that models can only be 2 inches top away from each other, if you have a mob of boyz all on dreadnaught bases then templates would be pointless.

you see what im getting at?

i hope this answers your question.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 09:54 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Gorgutz365 View Post
I think that the rules state that the models should really be on the base supplied with the models, i think mainly for the fact that models can only be 2 inches top away from each other, if you have a mob of boyz all on dreadnaught bases then templates would be pointless.

you see what im getting at?

i hope this answers your question.
It just requires permission from your opponent to use a larger than normal base. If your opponent has a boyz mob all on dreadnought bases, the rule book gives you a right to veto that. And if he puts his killa kans on dinner plates, you have the right to pummel them about the head and shoulder liberally as well as veto their usage.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 10:27 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

the rule of thumb I go by is

Heroes who should be mounted on 25mm bases can also be mounted on 30mm WM bases or 40mm GW or WM bases
Heroes who should be on 40mm bases can also be mounted on WM 40mm bases, or WM 50mm bases
Basic troops (including vets etc) on 25mm bases can also go on WM 30mm bases
Basic troops (including termis etc) on 40mm bases can also go on WM 40mm bases
vehicles or teams on 60mm bases can also go on Hasslefree/fenris 80mm bases (killa kans can go on 60mm bases since 40mm ones look dumb)
cavalry or bikes can go either the new rounded bases, the old cavalry bases, 40mm round bases (or 60mm for attack bikes) or on Hasslfree cavalry bases

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 10:33 PM

EDIT: Hi Stella.

Yes to the 'opponent's consent' rule. The rule about 'larger not smaller' was in 4th Ed, now superceded.

But I completely agree that GW should say what size bases things should be. This used to be the case, for instance in Warhammer the base size (20mil, 25 mil, 40mil, cavalry base) was specified in the unit description.

One problem is that if you're using, for instance, GW minis originally for another game - Judge Dredd or Paranoia minis, or Termies from Space Hulk, your bases are the 'wrong' size for the current minis, and may indeed be the wrong shape. But you need opponent's permission to re-base them.

:wishing they'd just put it in their unit entry cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 10:33 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I just think its easier to use standard bases unless you have a very good reason... so making 1 large diorama might be cool and your oponent might not mind you using it but not on every model in a unit.

Only wrong bases I use are my old termies still being on small bases (£5 for 5 termy sized bases.. I think not GW) and my Red Terror, which is supplied on a termy base but which is a MC so I give it a MC base... looks right and gives the right impression (ie.. FEAR ME)

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-09, 12:01 AM

I would have to agree that only the bases that are supplied with the figure should be put on the figure, but I don't see how it is a major issue as it works both ways. If I remember my rules correctly (which I may not as I have only been playing for a short time) when determining if a figure is within range for assaults or shooting, it is done from base-to-base measurements. As long as we are following that rule, there should not be an issue unless it is specifically against the rules that certain bases be used with a figure. Just my opinion though,

s2
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-09, 12:23 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Bigger bases is better for units
Smaller bases are better for MCs, tanks, flyers and esp walkers

Bigger bases means your 'within 2" of model in base contact' is larger, your more spread out so less template hits and you can spread your unit out over greater distances if wanting to block the enemy.

Smaller bases make it harder to hit with templates, can put you out of shooting range (esp with waklers/tanks since you measure from your weapons for shooting, not the base) and can help flyers stick closer to cover without actually 'entering' cover.

-base size matters... I'm not strict with oponents if they have even a remotely fluffy reason I dont mind any wrong size bases... but the example of orks on MC bases is just silly and I would just laugh at anyone who tried to do it.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-09, 01:33 AM

killmaimburn's Flag is: USA

I'm of the opinion that it's fair to ask for the correct base size, but not be unreasonable. E.G. old terminators on small bases is acceptable, and not a huge advantage anyway...makes plasma cannons and demolisher cannons that much more effective. Similarly, larger bases on 'showcase' type models, such as seargents, champions, HQ units, etc. is acceptable and falls under the rule about not penalizing a model for being "awesome." However, there are limits, and more than 1 size up or down is significant and wrong unless there is a good reason. E.g. if a GD-competitor wanted to use his duel model in a game and it was his chaos lord facing down a SM captain on a MC base, would you really have a problem with it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode