Weird Outflanking scenario - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

fuzzawakka's Flag is: USA

Default Weird Outflanking scenario

So here is the scenario Player A has Khan which allows all of his units to outflank. Player B manages to line the whole edge of the table on one side with his units. There was not a single inch that was not covered by Player Bs army so when Player A tried to outflank and happend to roll a 1 (where all of Player Bs units were) he couldnt get in. What happens to the guys that were trying to outflank? Do they just die do they not come in do they auto go to the other side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 07:59 AM

Gunstar's Flag is: United Kingdom

a good question... bump.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 09:36 AM

solkan's Flag is: USA

The situation simply isn't covered by the rules. The likely answers which one might see include:

1. The outflanking unit is destroyed, crushed under the weight of the contradictions between 'It must come onto the board', and 'It cannot move within 1" of an enemy unit'.

2. The outflanking unit is delayed until it becomes legal to come onto the board. If the game ends while the unit is stuck off of the board, it gets destroyed as per the reserve rules.

3. Because both options 1 & 2 are boring, you should fabricate some house rules, such as allowing the outflankers to shoot and/or assault the blocking unit in an effort to get enough room.

Note that neither option 1 nor option 2 are spelled out by the rules, and there are precedents for either to be applied.

Fight for freedom against the undead Emporer!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 10:26 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Technically I guess they are just destroyed... although I would probably choose to play it as an automatic mishap (with an re-placement as choice of board edge position from which they move on from).. either way its a choice for the players involved- although I'm guessing that if someone has actually been nasty enough to try to block the whole flank that they'll insist that your units are destroyed (yet again a tactic that may work and work well.. but shouldnt really ever be used- like using 2 units to give each other cover- its just wrong).

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 12:23 PM

Duci's Flag is: England

well in the DE FAQ it goes over what happens when the web way protal is blocked by the enemy so i think it would be same as that

it says The normal rules regarding enemy in proximity apply, notably that you cannot come within 1” of an enemy model. This means that, if enemy models surround the portal, then models cannot use it to enter the table, except for skimmers, jump packs, jetbikes and other models that can move over other models.

but that doesnt really help

"At the end I will be there. For the final battle. For the Wolf Time."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

fuzzawakka's Flag is: USA

mm so would you guys say technically they are destroyed or they technically just dont enter?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 03:33 PM

Critta's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally I'd say they don't enter, but are available next turn, but then I don't like the idea of units being destroyed for no good reason because of a gap in the rules.

If you're feeling really nasty, force a roll on the deep strike mishap table or something, although again I think this is going a bit far.

Alternatively, make the unit move on from the owning player's own table edge.

Any of the above would work. It's not covered by the rules, so you just have to agree what happens with your opponent!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 10:41 PM

Allos's Flag is: USA

The person with khan must have been doing something wrong if he let his opponent cover a 4ft section of table with models. meaning he had time to cover at least 2 ft of the table before turn 2?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 12:33 AM

Sieg's Flag is: USA

i see no reason that it wouldn't just end up on the mishap table:

1. They are coming in from reserves
2. They are coming in within 1" of an enemy model

both of those are covered as reasons to roll on the mishap table

"Isn't this to big of a decision to flip a coin for?"
"Well a couple years down the road if i find out it was the wrong decision i would rather blame the coin then myself."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-09, 12:48 AM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

I'm in the "destroyed" camp. They must come on. They cannot move within 1" of an enemy model. Sounds kinda like having to disembark from a destroyed vehicle that's surrounded, doesn't it?

Don "MONDO"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode