Imperial Guard Kill Points. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Pandorav3's Flag is: USA

Default Imperial Guard Kill Points.

I was wondering, it seems according to the rules that every IG squad is worth 1 kp, however that makes it VERY disadvantageous to guard players. I was wondering if theres something i missed, and you have to kill the whole platoon or something. Otherwise my guard army is going to be very unhappy when KP are involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 02:11 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

It is a balancing act, your forces excel at objective based missions, and suffer at kill point based missions. Having a large amount of kill points does not mean that you are behind the power curve, however, it just means that you need to be better at killing their troops than they are at killing yours. That is where battle cannons and earthshakers come in handy, not too much that doesn't turn their pants brown at the sight of those.

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 02:27 AM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Ya, as sad as it is, those are the current rules. However they may address it someway with the new codex, or you can use the 'ardboyz tourney rules. They modify so its better, its broken either way really, the way we do KP around here is just use VP's instead, since the KP system was poorly thought out.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandorav3 View Post
I was wondering, it seems according to the rules that every IG squad is worth 1 kp, however that makes it VERY disadvantageous to guard players. I was wondering if theres something i missed, and you have to kill the whole platoon or something. Otherwise my guard army is going to be very unhappy when KP are involved.
Also you need to remember option. At the begining of the game you get to decide how you want to organize your infantry platoons. So you can decide to use 3 squads of 10 in the objective match, and 1 squad of 30 in the annihilation match. Also the fact that you get tank squadrons means your opponent has to kill THREE tanks in order to get ONE KP. I think it's perfectly balanced, you just need to put some thought into things.

Thanks,

~MC
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 04:09 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

I believe he's talking about the current codex, Caleb. He'll be happier in a few weeks, guaranteed!

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Pandorav3's Flag is: USA

awesome I finally got around to checking out the new guard codex, and things are looking alot better, so thanks for the heads up all! But I agree that VP should be brought back, It took more book working, but made things alot more balanced.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Ya, as sad as it is, those are the current rules. However they may address it someway with the new codex, or you can use the 'ardboyz tourney rules. They modify so its better, its broken either way really, the way we do KP around here is just use VP's instead, since the KP system was poorly thought out.
how? you think that it is fair to both be able to swarm objectives and not be penalized in killpoint missions? This is where we all have to grow up a bit and realize that, since this is a game, we can't have any 'I win" type rules. Every army will have missions that they do well in, and missions they struggle with. The kill point system isn't poorly thought out, it just favors smaller forces, where objectives favor larger forces. it is about gameplay, and shepherding your forces. the whole squads has to be killed for the killpoints, so, have them move back when threatened with annhilation. You might even find thet doing so opens up new opportunities to encircle your opponent.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 05:28 AM

Bolshavic's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of mortarion View Post
how? you think that it is fair to both be able to swarm objectives and not be penalized in killpoint missions? This is where we all have to grow up a bit and realize that, since this is a game, we can't have any 'I win" type rules. Every army will have missions that they do well in, and missions they struggle with. The kill point system isn't poorly thought out, it just favors smaller forces, where objectives favor larger forces. it is about gameplay, and shepherding your forces. the whole squads has to be killed for the killpoints, so, have them move back when threatened with annhilation. You might even find thet doing so opens up new opportunities to encircle your opponent.

True, but you would have to agree that killing a five man squad ( hqs ) all who are wearing paper for armour and t3 and earning 2kill points it a little over the top. I know something that is being adressed in 5th ed codex.

But yes the game works best for a balanced army if you choose to specialize for objectives you will lose kill point missions and vise versa. I think its just another fun part of the game trying to find a balnced force, and also makes cheese less likely to be overpowerful at every mission.

If I agreed with u we would both be wrong !!!

http://bolshavic.mybrute.com
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 06:05 AM

Unfortunately, if the two killpoints are honestly earned, is it really unfair? That is, if you had another, similar squad from another force that gave 3, since you had to add 2 IC's to make up the squad, would that be unfair? Tbh, it is the cost that GW has instituted to prevent the "Uber squad of doomage!!!!!!!!" shenanigans of previous editions. It might not be perfect, but it's certainly not broken.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 09:53 AM

timsmith's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Caleb View Post
Also you need to remember option. At the begining of the game you get to decide how you want to organize your infantry platoons. So you can decide to use 3 squads of 10 in the objective match, and 1 squad of 30 in the annihilation match. Also the fact that you get tank squadrons means your opponent has to kill THREE tanks in order to get ONE KP. I think it's perfectly balanced, you just need to put some thought into things.

Thanks,

~MC
Will you really have to destroy 3 battle tanks to gain 1 KP? This seems very very unfair as they will be able to operate independantly?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode