Strength D - Titan killers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Default Strength D - Titan killers

Hey everyone,

I have a number of questions in regards to Strength D weapons.

1) Does a Strength D shot get downgraded to Strength 8 if fired at a wave serpent. Obviously the strength of D is greater than 8, so would D get down-graded to 8? IE: Does the energy field work?

2) Can you get a cover save against Strength D weapons for things like Disruption pods or going Flat-Out with a skimmer. The rules for D weapons state that D ignores cover but then goes on to say for targets obscured as the weapon just blasts right though. However, this makes me think that it just ignores intervening terrain and not effects which cause cover saves, like a Big Mek and KFF.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 05:54 AM

Gul Torgo's Flag is: USA

1. I would guess it does not effect Strength D because that weapon's strength is not measured by a numerical value.

2. Cover is cover. Strength D punches through it all.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 10:27 AM

yes but you do get an invun save so your bikes moving flat out will get save but just like flamer template weapons it ignores cover savees so if it states cover FORGET IT!!!! lol

i love str D lol im an eternal warrior opponents face when he realises he got vapourized
(aww cute your hive tryant has synapse rule please remove it followed by evil laugh)

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 01:13 PM
Banned

What actually is strength D?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 01:41 PM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

Have a look at page 96 of the apocalypse rule book.

In short - designed as a titan killer meaning no cover saves, instant pen on vehicles (but can be downgraded to glance by smoke etc), +1 on veh damage charts, auto wounds non vehicle, instant death unless eternal warrior etc.

Hope that helps
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 02:30 PM

Wraithian's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike12225 View Post
yes but you do get an invun save so your bikes moving flat out will get save but just like flamer template weapons it ignores cover savees so if it states cover FORGET IT!!!! lol

i love str D lol im an eternal warrior opponents face when he realises he got vapourized
(aww cute your hive tryant has synapse rule please remove it followed by evil laugh)
Bikes don't get invulnerables anymore, they get cover saves for turbo boosting. Also, Eternal Warrior works just fine. If you have a multi wound model with Eternal Warrior (or is otherwise immune to instant death) and he's hit with a D class weapon, fails any invulnerable saves he/she/it may have, then it takes a single wound. It's all on page 96 of Apocalypse.

To the original poster: D class weapons automatically penetrate, so there's no downgrading it to str 8. If it hit's, it penetrates (though, older versions of smoke launchers and other wargear may decrease the pen to a glance). Also, any sort of cover save is negated, whether it be that ruin you are hiding behind or some alien technological marvel--it blows through them all.

Level me up! I, too, wish to storm the lands of mortals reaping what is truly mine...but for now, I am but a wee spot of energy...

Clicky!

"I embrace death without fear as I embrace life without regret."
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithian View Post
Bikes don't get invulnerables anymore, they get cover saves for turbo boosting. Also, Eternal Warrior works just fine. If you have a multi wound model with Eternal Warrior (or is otherwise immune to instant death) and he's hit with a D class weapon, fails any invulnerable saves he/she/it may have, then it takes a single wound. It's all on page 96 of Apocalypse.

To the original poster: D class weapons automatically penetrate, so there's no downgrading it to str 8. If it hit's, it penetrates (though, older versions of smoke launchers and other wargear may decrease the pen to a glance). Also, any sort of cover save is negated, whether it be that ruin you are hiding behind or some alien technological marvel--it blows through them all.
I see your reasoning however, the rules for energy field do not say it needs to be a numeric strength, just a strength greater than 8 - which D is. So by that meaning, it should be downgraded to str 8 and therefore would it no longer be a destroyer hit? (As the destroyer characteristic is determined by the strength of the weapon and not a description in its weapon characteristics - IE melta, etc)

Also, to one of the above posters - Synapses, eternal warrior, etc all work fine against Destroyer weapons - As far as I know, the only things that ignore these are vortex grenades and 6,6 on the Shokk Attack Gun.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 02:52 PM

In that case, D is less than 8 unfortunately. So it'll just have to stay at strength D.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 03:25 PM

JokerGod's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike12225 View Post
That is not true. I love soaking up S D weapon fire on my SkullTaker, it makes me smile.

Eyes with out life.
Maggot ridden corpses.
Mountains of skulls.
These are some of my favorite things.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 05:11 PM

Wraithian's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzzen View Post
I see your reasoning however, the rules for energy field do not say it needs to be a numeric strength, just a strength greater than 8 - which D is. So by that meaning, it should be downgraded to str 8 and therefore would it no longer be a destroyer hit? (As the destroyer characteristic is determined by the strength of the weapon and not a description in its weapon characteristics - IE melta, etc)

Also, to one of the above posters - Synapses, eternal warrior, etc all work fine against Destroyer weapons - As far as I know, the only things that ignore these are vortex grenades and 6,6 on the Shokk Attack Gun.
As there are no rolls to penetrate, then there's no concern what strength the weapon becomes--the penetration roll is bypassed entirely. Page 96 (again, for reference only) states that any vehicle *hit* by a destroyer weapon is penetrated automatically. I'm curious as to the wording in the Eldar codex, because I think that how it is phrased will determine whether or not D class weapons are scaled back. If it's says something along the lines of, "when rolling to penetrate a vehicle, then the str counts as 8," or some such, I'm going to say it isn't going to work, because as I stated, penetration rolls are bypassed. I'm going to bug a friend of mine later for the exact wording of that vehicle upgrade later. Now I'm curious.

Level me up! I, too, wish to storm the lands of mortals reaping what is truly mine...but for now, I am but a wee spot of energy...

Clicky!

"I embrace death without fear as I embrace life without regret."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode