Orbital Strike Template question - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Default Orbital Strike Template question

Does the Space Marine Orbital Strike use the big template or the small template?

I played my first game last night and really felt like the guys I was playing with were leaning really hard on the fact that I'm not very familiar with the game, my army, or the rules.

They both were playing eldar and I fielded SMs. Keep in mind this is my first game ever. They each get 1 building a piece with multiple stories. They give me two buildings because they said that would give me an advantage. Only one of my buildings had a second story and the other one was basically a pile of rubble whose walls didn't even go above my SMs heads.

It took me 3 turns to realize that my armor saves were better than the cover save.

So basically I felt like they set me up for failure by throwing me two buildings to place down when one of the guys knew my armor saves were better than the cover from the start.

Then it didn't help that they both pretty much ganged up on me and occassionally took pot shots at each other.

Didn't mean to go on a rant. I just want to know if Orbital Strikes use the big template or the small one. I asked the guy who is the most familiar with the game he said it used the small template, but couldn't find anywhere in the codex or the rulebook that said that. He also didn't have a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 03:19 PM

Shaun_wi's Flag is: England

Orbital bombardment is an ordinance weapon and therefore uses the large template they screwed you over on that
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Welcome to the hobby! Watch out for the douchebags!

Big Rulebook, pg 58, left column, last sentence:

Quote:
Unless their profile specifies otherwise, all ordnance blast weapons use the large blast marker.
Show them that.

I suggest reading the rules thouroughly (if you have not) and play against one person (hopefully not the ones in your example) with very low points until you get a few more games and experiences in.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 04:18 PM

Vrykolas2k's Flag is: USA

There are people out there who like to take advantage of the newbie; sad but true. A new guy should never have to fight two guys at once, even in large point games.
It's up to you whether to play in larger games to get a feel for what your entire army is about, or small games where you can only learn about certain units. I learned in a 3000 point game with my Dark Eldar, and still won, so it mostly depends on your own tactical ability and dice-luck.
Thing with Eldar, they really should have been hit-and-running rather than staying in a static position; if an eldar player does this, assault them.
There are some weapons against which you'd need your cover save, since they ignore the regular one, but for the most part your SM army has the save to withstand most of the light Eldar weapons and chew them up with your own.

Vae victus.

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your damned BOOK!"
-Patton

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 04:21 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Ouch u met some real tossers
Definitely read the rules i am always runnig to the codex or the rule book to clarify
and everyone gets screwed over when they are new
try playing one of the staff at GW
they are usually really nice and they will not take advantage of ur inexperience
and it is large blast
Good luck and have fun with the marines
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-09, 04:37 PM

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Sitting in cover isn't a bad thing, even for space marines. It gives you a chance against anything ap3 or lower, which eldar actually has a lot of. That being said, don't be afraid to leave it and rely on your power armour.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode