Gravitatory Vehicles blocking line of sight? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-07, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad
However, just because skimmers don;t block LoS doesn;t mean hiding behind them is a bad idea.

A common Tau tactic ("Fish of Fury") is to move their skimmer transport in close, disembark a unit of fire warriors from the back (within 12" rapid fire range) and unload into the target squad from behind their tank. Meanwhile, if the target squad wants to fire back they have to make a target priority check. And if they want to charge the melee-weak tau, they have to run all the way around the tank, and by then the Tua will have climbed back in and taken off.
Ummm...they do not have to make a target priority check. They either choose to shoot at the troops or the vehicle. They can gladly shoot the firewarriors with no target priority roll required. Says so right in the rule book.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-07, 07:53 PM

Anphicar's Flag is: USA

Just think of it this way--If something was floating (a skimmer) above a squad, why shouldnt i be able to shoot at it?

Skimmers are really "skimming" the ground.

They are probably around 12 feet off of the ground.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 01:14 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

You don;t have to make a target priority check to shoot a squad if a vehicle is closer?

I thought it was only the other way around (you don;t need to check to shoot a vehicle, unless another vehicle is closer)

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 01:19 AM

Pathwinder- It actually does not say so in the rulebook. It is often played that way, but not correct.

-The rules state you have to fire at the nearest unit.
-If you choose to fire at something other than the nearest unit, you make a target priority test.
-Vehicles and Monstrous Creatures are an exception. You may opt to target the closest one w/o a target priority test.
-There is no rule that states you can ignore the vehicle/monstrous creature to fire at infantry. (This is the part that gets confused often)

I've had to read that section a few times to realize that targetting vehicles/monstrous creatures is the only one you don't roll target priority for.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 12:32 PM

PW I would have to say that you are mistaken in this. You have to take a LD test not to shoot at the closest enemy anything. If the DF is closer than the FWs, then you have to test to not shoot at the DF. Where you are getting mistaken is that you can choose to shoot at the closest vehicle or MC with no LD test.

Bravery is the fear of looking scared.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates, it like a jar of jalapenos:What you do today might get your Arse burned tomorrow.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 03:02 PM

You are both wrong. RE-read the rules. WHen shooting you first have to declare if you are shooting at troops or vehicles/monstrous creatures. Once you make that decision you have to fire at the closest of the chosen type. If you have one of two units of troops to shoot at then you make a priority check. If you have one of two units of monstrous creatures/vehicles to shoot at you make a priority check.

You can ignore the vehicle for teh troops with no priority check required. Re-read the rules for LOS and targeting.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 03:17 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

The rule you're referencing does say you can ignore troops and other non-large units if you elect to shoot at large targets. THis is what we all agree on.

However, you're reading too much into it. Nowhere does it say that you may elect to shoot at only small targets and ingore vehicles and large targets. In fact, it actually very clearly defines what units may be targeted in this way.

Quote:
FIRING AT LARGE TARGETS (bottom p19)
[...]
when it comes to choosing a target, you can declare that your unit wishes to target enemy vehicles, artillery and monsterous creatures (these are the ONLY unit types that you can target this way, collectively referred to as 'Large Targets'). If you choose to target Large Targets then other unit can be ingored in terms of determining the closest target.
[...]
(emphasis mine)

It says very clearly, that you may ONLY do this when targeting vehicles, artillery and monsterous creatures.

Meaning it only goes one way. You can ingore squads to target vehicles, but you CANNOT ignore the vehicle to target the squad. Nothing in the rule even suggests that you can opt to fire at only smaller targets.

Unless you;re citing some other rule, in which case please give me a page number and quote

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 03:29 PM

You're missing the point. Unless you state you are going to shoot at large targets you will shoot at other units.

In our or example I can freely shoot the Fire Warriors because I am not declaring large targets. Now then, if there was another unit of troops closer to my squad I would have to make a target priority check to be able to shoot the fire warriors instead.

I do not have to make a target priority check because I am shooting units of troops. To shoot at anything other than units of troops I have to declare I am shooting at large targets. Since I did not make that declaration, I can freely shoot the firewarriors.

Look in the book again. The example you see is a unit of eldar standing behind a falcon. It clearly states they can be shot at because the falcon does not block LOS. It says nothing about a priority check.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathwinder14

Look in the book again. The example you see is a unit of eldar standing behind a falcon. It clearly states they can be shot at because the falcon does not block LOS. It says nothing about a priority check.
That example is talking about line of sight, not target priority. It's only stating what legal targets may be shot at, not mentioning at all which ones you would have to take a test to shoot at.

The last part of the quoted rule, "A leadership test is still required to target anything other than the closest large target"
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdymnd
The last part of the quoted rule, "A leadership test is still required to target anything other than the closest large target"
Yes, but this only comes into play if you declare you are shooting at large targets. If I am not shooting large targets I do not have to take a LD test for priority.

In the shooting phase units get a few choices. They can either shoot other units OR they can shoot large targets. Once they decide which one they are shooting at they then need to shoot the closest one. I.E. if I declare I'm shooting units I have to shoot the closest unit. If I am shooting large targets I have to shoot the closest large target. If I want to shoot anything other than the closest one, then (and only then) do I take a target priority check.

Target priority is used to allow units to choose between the closest threat of a similar size category.
.................................................. .......
X........................................... TTTT
X................................................. ........
X................................................. ... UUUUU
X................................................. ........
X................................................. ............

X= my unit
TTTT = Immobilized Enemy tank
UUUUU = Enemy unit of troops
........= Grass

My unit does not have to make a target priority check to shoot your unit. SInce I never declared I'm shooting large targets I can ignore the immoblized tank.

No where in the rule book does it state I HAVE to shoot large targets. It does however state I'm given the choice to shoot large targets if I want to. It's my choice. By your ruling I now HAVE to shoot the devilfish or take a target priority check to shoot the firewarriors. My ability to choose large targets has been made for me. This is not correct.

Read it again. Call GW and they will back what I'm saying.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode