Special Characters - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Default Special Characters

I'm not sure if this has been asked before- I searched and didn't see anything- so if it has my apologies. Also if it needs to be moved to the General 40k section please do so. I wasn't sure exactly which section it should be in. So here goes.

Is anyone else upset that anyone can take any of the special characters and use them 'as counts as' rules for other chapters that said special character isn't a part of? I don't like that I can take Lysander as my HQ in an Ultramarine army that every other unit is Ultramarines for example. It just doesn't seem right to me.

And I don't like that I can use a 'counts as' model and rules for let us say- Marneus Calgar -for a model that isn't Calgar. To me his equipment is what makes him a special character, if everyone had his equipment or skills he wouldn't be a Special Character then. I don't know, it just doesn't work with fluff for me. I may be wrong but I don't like it. Anyone else feel this way, or am I completely off my rocker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 04:23 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Then don't.

It's simple as.

If you want to use a Pure Ultramarines army, then go ahead an do it. Alternatively, paint Lysander and half your army in Imperial Fist Colours, the other half in Ultramarines.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Then don't.

It's simple as.

If you want to use a Pure Ultramarines army, then go ahead an do it. Alternatively, paint Lysander and half your army in Imperial Fist Colours, the other half in Ultramarines.
No I understand that. And if I was personally going to take Lysander in my Ultramarine army as an ally, I would paint him and the Terminators that would go with him in Imperial Fists colors. I just don't like that special characters can be used by anyone now. It just makes them less special to me. I guess, I don't know how to describe it exactly, I just don't like it. lol

Last edited by Grik; 12-24-08 at 05:32 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Me either it's prety lame.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 04:40 PM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

It's an ongoing topic all over the forums.

Personally, in a friendly I couldn't use a charachter from another chapter in incorrect livery, it would feel like I was trying too hard.

But, in a tournament anything within the rules goes for me.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 05:19 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grik View Post
Is anyone else upset that anyone can take any of the special characters and use them 'as counts as' rules for other chapters that said special character isn't a part of?
no
Quote:
I don't like that I can take Lysander as my HQ in an Ultramarine army that every other unit is Ultramarines for example.
Quote:
And I don't like that I can use a 'counts as' model and rules for let us say- Marneus Calgar -for a model that isn't Calgar.
Quote:
To me his equipment is what makes him a special character, if everyone had his equipment or skills he wouldn't be a Special Character then. I don't know, it just doesn't work with fluff for me. I may be wrong but I don't like it.
if YOU don't like it, then don't do it, simple as really

in the end, who gives a crap, its only a game of toy soldiers, who cares if marneus calgar suddenly turned yellow and became an Imperial fist (which actually looking at all his equipment is kinda fluffy), its no different at all to playing him when he's blue, he and his army are still space marines, he doesn't suddenly gain special rules.

also if someone goes through allot of time and effort buying the model with the full intention of using it, scraping off all the U markings, and replacing them with fist markings, with the full knowledge that whats there doing is 10000% legal and wishing to use it, who are we to say no just cus 1 or 2 people don't quite feel comfortable with it.

also the whole "they feel less special" argument is a little pointless, considering there is no such thing as Special characters in the marine codex, none of them are labeled as such, how can they feel "less" of something there not?

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 12-24-08 at 05:28 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 07:20 PM

Kenny3760's Flag is: Scotland

Not me, I fully intend to use "special" characters in my lists. This codex did away with traits which allowed you to have a list with a difference in 4th ed. The only way you can really have a different list nowadays is through using characters, and even then it's kind of limited.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 07:25 PM

I lament the loss of traits, instead we get special charcters, I liked being able to infiltrate my devastator squads and being able to take two plasma guns or meltas in one squad. Oh well, I'll just go cry as I paint up my new captian sicarus.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 10:13 PM

I think had they not named a lot of the special characters much of the complaints would not be there.

i.e. if Marneus Calgar was actually called Super Duper Marine(or whatever) and then they gave a fluff example of Marneus being one 'Super Duper Marine' etc.

It's like they are trying to tie fluff and rules together, only they freed the rules up and thus ruined the whole blend because there are always those who wanna put OJ on their cereal because well it's better for X, Y or Z reason.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-08, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
also the whole "they feel less special" argument is a little pointless, considering there is no such thing as Special characters in the marine codex, none of them are labeled as such, how can they feel "less" of something there not?

Ok, so they aren't named as special characters by GW, but what would you call them then? They are named personalities, with thier own rules that sure as hell aren't your normal rank and file marines. As for people removing all the sigils and symbology of one chapter and adding the chapter that they play sigils and symbology to a model, I would be rather impressed by that. I liked it when you had to be of a certain chapter to use so and so. Granted it sucked forcing you to play a certain chapter to use a special character, but for the most part Marine Chapters are autonomous units, they really don't interact with anyone unless it's a huge threat. Just adding characters from other chapters to yours-just because you like the stats and rules- willy nilly is just wrong to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode