Charging in cover, + additional charges - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-07, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Charging in cover, + additional charges

A unit charges another unit that is in cover. Next turn a different unit charges the unit as well. Does it gain the benefit of being in cover against the second charge? I know some people play the rule both ways and i have looked it all up before and cant remember what conclusions i drew. I think the answer is no, especially as if the new charger had frags then the in cover unit would become INIT 10 and be able to strike the unit that was already in cc with it first.

Check out my gamer Blog
http://gamergeekery.blogspot.co.uk/2...rs-in-40k.html

Jezlad "I actually commented that Jigplums list was the least scary list I faced. Then took a pasting"
http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/jigplums
http://www.coolminiornot.com/160095
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-07, 04:46 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

I've always played it as models attacking the charging unit from behind cover hit at i10 and those fighting the older squad hit at initiative since it'd be the third round of combat for them (charged, your turn, then this current round that they're charged again.) Since you fight who you're in base contact with, models that are engaged by charging models or have a choice to hit the charging squad and do so would hit at i10 barring frag grenades.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-07, 12:46 AM

I dunno with this one either. One thought would be, yeah, they're still in cover. Frag grenades would negate that. But then the thought comes to mind that they're already involved in the melee and would be thinking more about that than using the cover.

Then comes the thought that the second charging unit wouldn't be using their frag grenages anyway, otherwise they'd hit their comrades (if they were the same force!).

But I guess I would have to say yes, cover is cover and if you are in the trees and someone charges you, a tree is still going to effect that charge, whether you are fighting someone else or not.

So, cover: yes, frags: no.

"Fierce is the wind tonight;
It ploughs up the hair of the sea.
I have no fear that Viking hosts
Will come over the water to me"
- 9th century Irish poem

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-07, 12:53 AM

Skcuzzlebumm's Flag is: Scotland

This was recently rules for me at the GT (similar situation with DA's).

The unit engaged in cover becomes Int 10 vs those charging but still uses it regular Int vs those already engaged. Those charging will go to Int 10 vs ONLY the unit they charge in CC if they have frags (so you can't split charge vs one in and one out of cover to gain Int 10 against both units).

I often take such rulings as gospel as the GT staff are largley involved with the compelation of the offical FAQ's as they are very much front line when it comes to discovering these little quirks and loopholes.

Field Marshall Lord Neil Alister Mackenzie Kerr the Marquess of Lothian
aka Team Scotland 40k Captain 2012
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-07, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcuzzlebumm
The unit engaged in cover becomes Int 10 vs those charging but still uses it regular Int vs those already engaged. Those charging will go to Int 10 vs ONLY the unit they charge in CC if they have frags (so you can't split charge vs one in and one out of cover to gain Int 10 against both units).
That's how I figured, except I was unsure about whether Frag Grenades could be used. It's good to know.

Heresy grows from idleness.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-07, 01:45 AM

This rule can really help tyranids. Tie a big squad up with smaller guys like gaunts or hormagaunts in cover and then bring in an assault fex with flesh hooks. He can now go at the same time instead of his horrible normal initiative.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-07, 02:40 PM

I have to say I think the implication behind this ruling is pretty clear.

Pg 39 of the rulebook - "models that are in or behind cover normally fight in close combat with an initiative value of 10. This represents the advantage of cover - their improved initiative counts not only for close fighting but for shots against the enemy as they charge in. However the cover does not affect hits or anything else in an assault. After the first round of combat fighting is assumed to have swept into the cover, so no further advantage is gained by models in it."

The fluff alone in this suggests that they would be off struggling for their lives rather than taking advantage of the oppertunity to shoot up some new threat as it approaches.

Models charging in after the first round are joining a combat not begining a new one and as such strike in initiative order

The Essex Warhounds Gaming Club

When the Old Wolf calls I will answer
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-07, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

yeah thats what i thought, just a couple of times at the gt and at that other club people have argued it the other way and i couldn't be arsed to traul through the rulebook to find it

Check out my gamer Blog

Jezlad "I actually commented that Jigplums list was the least scary list I faced. Then took a pasting"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-07, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcuzzlebumm
I often take such rulings as gospel as the GT staff are largley involved with the compelation of the offical FAQ's as they are very much front line when it comes to discovering these little quirks and loopholes.
A very dangerous way of thinking imo, there are were many times at last years gt when the GT staff got things totally wrong, ruled differently between games etc... in fact this heat one of the guys whos usually involved played jezlad and was firing his venom cannon 6 times a turn rather than using it as twin-linked.

Just because they are there at the GT doesn't mean they are fonts of all knowledge, they are only human and makes mistakes. I mean even i've made mistakes in the past, hard to fathom as that may sound ;).

Check out my gamer Blog

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 09:11 AM

I don't think there's any discussion here. After the first round of combat, they strike in initiative order for the remainder of the fight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode